Best non traditional daw?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I'm looking for a non traditional daw.. options are abelton, fl, and reason.
I really like the concept of reason, with all the routing, and rack mounted gear, and right now this is what I feel is the best option.
What is your opinion guys?
Im a cubase and logic user, and I like them a lot, and looking for something different.
I want another daw, just for pure fun.

Bitwig is my 2nd DAW of choice (Reaper 1st, Cubase a distant 3rd, and I haven't opened Reason for years, other than to export some old songs...)

Creatively, Bitwig is very strong and it's really easy, and definitely fun to use. Supplied instruments and effects are good enough to make entire tracks with, plus it comes with a ton of (optional) samples, loops, clips, etc. if you're into that sort of thing. The modulators are nuts.

I see you're a logic user tho, the downside for you on a Mac would be no AU support, just VST/VST3

I personally didn't like FL; never tried Reason (well, I tried the first version long way back); I own Live and dig it. But if you want something different, try a tracker like Renoise, but be prepared to invest some time in familiarizing with the new way of working.

Another vote for Renoise here. A very different way of working and quite productive in its own way. Easy to bounce stems out for mixing and reworking elsewhere if desired.

Reaper. Basically, extremely powerful, but more designed for audio engineers than musicians.
<List your stupid gear here>

egbert101 wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:05 am Reaper. Basically, extremely powerful, but more designed for audio engineers than musicians.
REAPER is a fairly traditional, conventional DAW, no ? (even if it is powerful, deep and does, in fact, whip the llama's ass) :)

Amazing how some folks just read every DAW question as a best DAW poll... :wink:
Windows 10 and too many plugins

neverbeeninariot wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:28 am REAPER is a fairly traditional, conventional DAW, no ?
Yep.

I'd say that Ableton is pretty successful with a non-conventional DAW.

Renoise, its my only DAW atm. You can get it for 68 €

If you're thinking of Reason and all the routing, have you considered a Eurorack emulation like VCV_Rack... NO timeline.. a totally different way of constructing a musical piece. Plenty (and I mean over 1,000) modules to play with. Start simple with just the fundamentals and a few choice developer modules and go and grow from there.
Might not be for you but for SURE is a different DAW and way of approaching things.

Well some people say Maschine is not a DAW, but you can use it like one. Realband by pgmusic is another non-traditional DAW.

Topcheese wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 10:35 pm Well some people say Maschine is not a DAW, but you can use it like one.
Only in a limited sense - there's no free recording of tracks for example, you are limited to a maximum number of bars at a time due to its highly beats based focus. There isn't even support for certain expressive features of instruments such as aftertouch because everything is geared towards entering beats via the pads. It really isn't designed to be a complete recording host, I wish it was as unfortunately NI don't provide any alternatives and seem oblivious to Maschine's flaws for performing musicians.

it's a bit hard to recommend at this point, but THE best one is Kore.
closest thing you'll ever get to an electribe in software... a magical artifact

acYm wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:21 pm it's a bit hard to recommend at this point, but THE best one is Kore.
closest thing you'll ever get to an electribe in software... a magical artifact
There, there...
that did not seem so hard!

well actually the hard part is to get your hands on one :tu:

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”