Rapid vs Dune3?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 12:02 am I somehow managed to get what sounds like hard sync into what I was working on, even though I only had one oscillator active, which I eventually worked out was in the unison detune. It wasn't what I want from stacked oscillators at all. By reducing the number of voices and fine-tuning the detune I was able to reduce it until it sounded like a chorus effect but I couldn't get rid of it.
Set "random" below the waveform display to 100. When it is set to 0 the osc phase is retriggered, you want it free running for unison sounds.
You may think you can fly ... but you better not try

acYm wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:58 pmyeah that's why they made the dBFS scale, so that every host could implement it differently.
dBFS was created in the days of 8 bit digital audio but in a full float environment (32 bit), which is how audio is processed in most modern DAW, it becomes meaningless. Therefore developers pick an arbitrary range for metering so that it makes a bit of sense for us poor end-users. Zero only matters at render time but you shouldn't be rendering anywhere near it. My typical render levels peak at around -12, some even lower than that. Even at 24 bit, I have more than enough resolution to get a pristine master at 16 bit.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

no, they don't. zero is zero and floating point or not, everything above zero is going to get clipped at export in delivery format, because nothing above zero exists in the physical world - it's the end of the scale.

"they pick an arbitrary range for metering" seriously what the flying flock are you talking about. stop confusing the noobs for no reason.

The point is that nothing can get above zero in a full float environment, it gives you infinite headroom. I can turn everything up to max on Orion's mixer, with levels that never stop peaking, and it will never, ever clip. The only time you have to deal with it is when it leaves the host and has to be processed to get to your monitors and/or headphones. i.e. Only your master needs to stay below zero, not every individual channel in your mix, and your master can be so quiet that it hardly moves the meters at all and, as long as you render at 24 or 32 bit, you will still have all the fidelity you need for mastering to 16 bit. So, as this discussion is specifically about one instrument, what you need to worry about in your master channel is totally irrelevant.

Would you like me to show you, via a demo movie or something? I am happy to do so if it helps your understanding.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Well i have to say, i just tried rapid. Absolutely love it too. I still think Dune has the best sound when it comes to oscillators and filters. But rapid sounds great and has so many sound shaping options. I love the workflow of rapid, nice drag and drop.

Also you know what this synth has that almost no other synth has? Multi stage envelopes that have SWING!!!!! This is so important and useful for many electronic styles (house/techno etc)
So many synths have these cool multi-env/sequencers that i can use because my track has so much swing in it. Using the sequencers in rapid is a pure joy. What a synth.

Shame it costs so much, but you do get a lot for your money i suppose. Will keep my eye out on here for a used one!

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm Will keep my eye out on here for a used one!
It's NFR :(

recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:11 pm
DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:09 pm Will keep my eye out on here for a used one!
wow...really? Wasn't even aware that was a thing that companies did. Never had that problem before.
Well....probably wont see one used then! Haha. Crap. Do they ever have sales?
I don't neeeed it. I have some beastly synths already (Falcon does synth/samples ofc) but i do love the sound and workflow of this. It also seems aimed squares at electronic music which i love.
Damn!

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 pm
recursive one wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:11 pm
wow...really? Wasn't even aware that was a thing that companies did. Never had that problem before.
I don't neeeed it. I have some beastly synths already (Falcon does synth/samples ofc) but i do love the sound and workflow of this. It also seems aimed squares at electronic music which i love.
Damn!
it becomes nfr after its been sold once, so you can find them

DavidCarlyon wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:35 pm wow...really? Wasn't even aware that was a thing that companies did. Never had that problem before.
Yes, they have sales quite frequently. Keep an eye on the news here, or on their website.

AnX wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:39 pm it becomes nfr after its been sold once, so you can find them
I think he meant Rapid.

AnX wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:39 pm it becomes nfr after its been sold once, so you can find them
:roll:
Parawave Audio wrote: The customer is not allowed to share, sell, rent, lease, transfer, license, outsource or otherwise distribute the purchased product
https://parawave-audio.com/terms

Ok cool, i will keep an eye out. After a little check it seems i just missed all the sales. Shame i didn't even know about this synth until this year! Will def pick this up during the next sale tho. Lots of fun.

It sounds good (i demo'd it recently after being initially a bit disappointed when i tried it the first time). I still like Spire a bit more, though. But, Rapid is pretty nice for edgy, punchy stuff.

chk071 wrote: Wed Jan 09, 2019 3:48 pm It sounds good (i demo'd it recently after being initially a bit disappointed when i tried it the first time). I still like Spire a bit more, though. But, Rapid is pretty nice for edgy, punchy stuff.
I think they both complement each other nicely because Spire doesn't do wavetables. I love the Rapids wavetable FX, it can sound very similar to Virus WT-based patches.

If you have Largo you probably have the WT stuff covered overall, but Largo doesn't import WTs afaik.

Yeah. I still need to buy a wavetable synth which allows import. :D

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”