Rapid vs Dune3?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

BONES wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:17 pm
fmr wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 11:31 am why would you get both if rapid is "far far superior"?
AnX wrote this.

rapid is worth every penny
but dune 3 sound also good to me

Do you guys like movies about gladiators?

No. Do you?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

dandezebra wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 2:21 am Do you guys like movies about gladiators?
Yes but i prefer vikings :wink:

I just thought this thread could use some good 80's humor.

I downloaded the Rapid demo and spent an hour or two with it. If it's a really good synth, the demo patches do nothing to reveal that. Playing with the INIT patch, though, I was reasonably impressed with the sound quality although I can't say I'm a fan of the interface or workflow. I somehow managed to get what sounds like hard sync into what I was working on, even though I only had one oscillator active, which I eventually worked out was in the unison detune. It wasn't what I want from stacked oscillators at all. By reducing the number of voices and fine-tuning the detune I was able to reduce it until it sounded like a chorus effect but I couldn't get rid of it.

Like DUNE, it has some very nice effects. The distortion and multi-band saturation are particularly impressive and the chorus/phaser effects have a huge range.

Honestly, I don't think you could go wrong with either but I think I'd probably come down just on the side of DUNE 3, which somehow feels a little more polished and consistently good. That, of course, completely ignores the wavetable stuff which doesn't interest me at all.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Nm

What i find terrible about Rapid is that so much of the default presets are peaking way to high. Sometimes easy more than +5 db. That really is not good. Might have that short loud and wow effect but once you level it down to a usable level some magic is gone.
In Dune 3 there are also a few but in general the presets are better here.
It seems many synth do this.
I remember there was a rule for sound designers for (commercial) Alchemy banks that you have to set the levels right so that even a chord should not peak to high.
I wish that rule would be set in stone for all synths today :)
Loud is not always good.

diversity and harmonics r more important than leveling,but agree nothing is more unmusical than digital distortion :)

VELLTONE MUSIC wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 5:06 pm diversity and harmonics r more important than leveling,but agree nothing is more unmusical than digital distortion :)
Nothing wrong with it. I sometimes gain stage some tools as high as possible because the saturation adds harmonics and it reach more than +20, 30 or more db. To turn down the volume does not work since i loose the saturation/drive here. But a limiter works to still get the saturated sound with all the added harmonics without the peak.
But for default sounds in a synth i don´t want that really. Then an intern limiter should be used.

sometimes you just need to squeeze any kind of internal saturators and modulators to achieve something original - from user's prospective maybe is annoying to adjust every preset especially if just a hobbyist play,but when produce music db is relative,only sonic beauty is important :)

Cinebient wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 4:58 pm What i find terrible about Rapid is that so much of the default presets are peaking way to high. Sometimes easy more than +5 db. That really is not good.
So turn it down. The default level in your host is arbitrary, that +5dB that you get could be -5 in another host.
Loud is not always good.
I always prefer too loud to too quiet - it is easier to turn something down than to turn it up if it's not loud enough. The number of insert slots I waste on gain plugins is testament to that.

BONES wrote: Sun Dec 23, 2018 10:37 pm So turn it down. The default level in your host is arbitrary, that +5dB that you get could be -5 in another host.
yeah that's why they made the dBFS scale, so that every host could implement it differently.

the other day, I made a sound in Sylenth... this synth is so bad and unstable, it gave me +3.1 in Cubase, -2.62 in Sonar, 6.4 in Maschine, -0.3 in Logic, -0.96 in FL and 18 in Ableton! all over the place, I'm telling you.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”