Rapid vs Dune3?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dune, by far.

recursive one wrote: Thu Dec 13, 2018 2:09 pm Both are very good.

I'd say Rapid is more focused on the wavetable side, Dune is better at more traditional subtractive workflow, the wavetables are more a kind of bonus. Though it has a WT editor now which Rapid doesn't have, but Rapid has many tools to change the wave shape, like sync, formant shift and many others. Also I like the factory WTs in Rapid much more. Dune 3 has better filters, especially the new AM ones. Rapid has more flexible LFOs (e.g., you can blend two different shapes and automate the amount of the belnding with another LFO or a step sequencer and get very complex movement)

Rapid has more "modern" cutting and agressive sound, Dune is more mellow and soft. If you like sounds with extreme filter/pitch modulation, Dune handles it much better because of audio rate modulation. If you like wavetable movements, various growls and wub-wubs, Rapid does this better imo. The latest update also has that "glitch" thing which must be very useful in this context.
And Rapid has a powerful multisample engine for instruments or recorded synths or drumsets. In combination with the wavetables and all the modulations and fx (mb saturator, delays, shapers,...) and the layersystem and and and... a big powerful clean machine. The only thing what could be better is locating the modmatrix entries.

Impossible decision :D

Get both, or get one now, then get the other one later. Choose one at random :) If you are going to make a purchase and have narrowed it down to these two, you already won :)
Last edited by Touch The Universe on Tue Dec 18, 2018 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
High Quality Soundsets for Lush-101 | Hive | Electra 2 | Diversion | Halion | Largo | Rapid | Dune II | Thorn | and more.

TTU Youtube

I must amend my critique on Dune's sound somewhat b/c I just recalled grabbing some free presets a kvr member offered in one Dune thread or another about a year ago, back when I used it, i'm all for copping free presets here and there in the interest of more variety to start from, and those presets were the first (& maybe only) time I remember being genuinely impressed with Dune's sound. I used them as jump points almost exclusively. So it can be done, I obvs. just never got the hang of it with Dune.

That said I still much prefer the sonic signature and overall style of Rapid. I agree w/ access to the mod slots is clunky and not optimal, but everything else is laid out where I'm happy w/ the modulators as is since the rest of the layout is such a good fit. You can scroll wheel through them also, it'd be far worse imo if I had to click and drag a sidebar each time I needed to get at them.

Feature wise, Rapid is clear winner. But I haven't tried it. Can't tell if it sounds great like Dune or not.

Rapid GREAT Synth!

a9k1tp wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:51 pm Feature wise, Rapid is clear winner. But I haven't tried it. Can't tell if it sounds great like Dune or not.
Really? I must have missed it's 3-op FM synth engine.
Last edited by BONES on Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 12:19 am
a9k1tp wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 1:51 pm Feature wise, Rapid is clear winner. But I haven't tried it. Can't tell if it sounds great like Dune or not.
Really? I must have missed it's 4-op FM synth engine.
Rapid, PM from osc as inserts with sources from two other osc in each osc and possible to create PM in a circle and that in each layer so yes,... you missed it and maybe much more. ;-)

Right, so you use up all your oscillators on a layer to do it, where DUNE does it PER OSCILLATOR, so you can do all the unison stacking and other osc related stuff after you've done the FM things, and THEN you can do all the stuff you just mentioned. So I'm still not seeing it, I'm afraid. What else you got?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Dune is for me the clear winner.
Rapid is ok, but for me most important: I don't like the sound and the GUI.

Rapid for me by far, I own both.
my music: http://www.alexcooperusa.com
"It's hard to be humble, when you're as great as I am." Muhammad Ali

BONES wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 am Right, so you use up all your oscillators on a layer to do it, where DUNE does it PER OSCILLATOR, so you can do all the unison stacking and other osc related stuff after you've done the FM things, and THEN you can do all the stuff you just mentioned. So I'm still not seeing it, I'm afraid. What else you got?
and dune could it only with sinewaves. rapid with all wavetables and (multi)samples and it has enough oscillators when you really need to do more on top,... but if you really want to measure the features. where are dunes osc-inserts effects like formant shift, mirrors, bends, sync, overlap, chaos phase,... for wavetables and multisamples, oh stop,... dune doesn't support multisamples. should we carry on with the per voice inserts effects, the filters, the main effects,... cmon dude. anyway,... I also own booth and dune is okay and a better choice than sylenth or synthmaster but rapid just sounds much better, more smooth, more natural and warm and with all the functions Rapid is the clear winner. :wink:

You are still not getting it because DUNE can still do it EXACTLY the same way Rapid does, as well as having the little 3 op engine per oscillator.

But eventually you manage to get to some features DUNE doesn't have, so thanks for that. Seriously, a lot of the time getting useful information around here is like pulling teeth. Someone asks a reasonably straightforward question but getting a useful answer requires two pages of stuffing about and filtering misinformation. It shouldn't be this hard but, finally, I see that it might be worth downloading the demo and having a play around.

themerx wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:13 pm
BONES wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:21 am Right, so you use up all your oscillators on a layer to do it, where DUNE does it PER OSCILLATOR, so you can do all the unison stacking and other osc related stuff after you've done the FM things, and THEN you can do all the stuff you just mentioned. So I'm still not seeing it, I'm afraid. What else you got?
and dune could it only with sinewaves. rapid with all wavetables and (multi)samples and it has enough oscillators when you really need to do more on top,... but if you really want to measure the features. where are dunes osc-inserts effects like formant shift, mirrors, bends, sync, overlap, chaos phase,... for wavetables and multisamples, oh stop,... dune doesn't support multisamples. should we carry on with the per voice inserts effects, the filters, the main effects,... cmon dude. anyway,... I also own booth and dune is okay and a better choice than sylenth or synthmaster but rapid just sounds much better, more smooth, more natural and warm and with all the functions Rapid is the clear winner. :wink:
You're mostly right with the things that Rapid can do that DUNE can't in terms of oscillator effects, but with audio rate modulation DUNE can go beyond FM with sine waves. You can use any wave form if you want to.
Wavetables for DUNE2/3, Blofeld, IL Harmor, Hive and Serum etc: http://charlesdickens.neocities.org/
£10 for lifetime updates including wavetable editor for Windows.

Music: https://soundcloud.com/markholt

4damind wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:38 am Dune is for me the clear winner.
Rapid is ok, but for me most important: I don't like the sound and the GUI.
Have you tried it since the GUI's were updated?
It's dope now

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”