Type of mics

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi.
I´m a student from a sound designer school and i´m making a studio recording proyect.
We´ve got two guitars,two voices and a bass.
Then a drum kit,and we dont know which microphones we need to use.
Which mics and distances do you recommend me?
Thank you
Jon Costas

One would assume this is something they would actually teach at sound design school - but if they don’t, either go on YouTube or Gearslutz (or find a different school). This is a topic that will get you dozens of opinions...I love taking about microphones, but my opinion and thoughts are simply that.

Apart from the excellent advise from @Bodhisan, one point I wanted to add (as a newbie myself) is that if your project is self-funded and for usage outside school then you might like to mention the quality requirements and constraints (s.a. budget). Mics range from lower end (inexpensive but usable for home-recording) to mind-bogglingly expensive but amazingly high fidelity and quality of recording. Then again, your excellent mic might not make the best use of it's capabilities if your digital audio interface's capabilities are limited. The nature of recording s.a. isolated sessions, track-by-track or combined performance with measures put in place to avoid audio-bleed and having high isolation between instruments may mean different types of mics (and number of mics). For instrument recording, especially drums SM58 seems to have been the widely accepted "safe" (and usually in-budget) mic. However, for drums you often get kit-mics and mic placement for drum mics can be somewhat tricky, especially if you'd like some isolation and stereo positioning of the various drums and cymbals themselves.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”