I need monitors, tired of mixing on headphones only lol

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, so I'm planning on buying some monitors. TBH my room isnt so big, so I dont need full size, but can you guys help me get the best value for my money?

So far I've been looking at these
Fostex PM 0.4n 80$ used pair
Fostex PM 0.5 120$ used pair
Yamaha MSP5 200$ used pair
IK Multimedia Micro 240$ used pair
Yamha HS5 or HS50 240$ used pair

Now, I would rather go with the IK Multimedia Micro, cause I prefer tinier speakers for my limited space, but they are so expensive, how do they compare to MSP5, and HS5?

The Fostex, I heard 0.5 was as good as MSP5, so thats 80$ less there, could buy a synth I've been wanting, but the PM 0.5 are BIG monitors...

the PM 0.5 retail at 350$ for a pair,
Used 120$ = 240$ savings

IK Micro Models retail 300$,
used 250$ = 50$ savings lol

MSP5 440$,
used 200$ = 240$ savings

Anyway, the montior I get I'm going to calibrate it with Sonarworks EQ to try to get it as flat as I can in my imperfect room, not sure how well it works... What do you guys suggest?

Any quality monitors in the 4 or 5 inch range should work fine in a small space. You won't get much bass from them, but you should be able to get a good flat response. I wouldn't go any smaller. The Yamaha HS-5 in your list are probably a good baseline example to start comparing with.
Windows 10 and too many plugins

I can recommend ADAM T5Vs. I'm using them with a subwoofer. But they are good Monitors on their own.
my music:
soundcloud.com/septimon-band
blend.io/septimon

Look up for the presonus eris 4.5 they are great! 178€ new. I have them myself and for that pricepoint i dont think that you gonna find something much better. You can also go for the little brother eris 3.5 which are 100€, got good reviews too but never heard them in real life so cant give you my opinion on them. You can later safe money for a external sub, but for the 4.5 its not very necessary.

Link;

https://www.bax-shop.nl/studio-monitor/ ... -set-van-2

Septimon wrote: Fri Nov 16, 2018 2:32 pm I can recommend ADAM T5Vs. I'm using them with a subwoofer. But they are good Monitors on their own.
Certainly the spec looks good and here is an informative review...
https://www.residentadvisor.net/reviews/22828
The only negative thing I can see is the rear bass port when close against a wall >>
"The real differences are in the bass porting. The T5V has a single hole cut out of the back whereas the A8Xs have two carved out of the front. Ideally the T5V would have ports on the front, although this probably has something to do with manufacturing costs. This means you need to be careful not to place them too close to the walls of your workspace, as you can end up with resonant clouds of fake bass hooting into your ears. Port placement notwithstanding, the bass response is decidedly meaty for this price point. There is a minor hump around 100hz and an equally shallow scoop out of the low-mids, which gives the lower content in kicks and basslines a refined, uncluttered feel. The region around the fundamental is boosted, as you'd expect from a ported design, but the low-mid scoop counteracts overcrowding in the upper harmonics. Lower mid-range frequencies are a constant danger area in the mix, but the T5V's pleasant curve doesn't mean you're flying blind. You can tell the A8Xs have greater detail and extension in this zone, which is to be expected given the price tag, although the T5Vs and a pair of nice headphones were enough for me to separate the low-end body of percussion from hooty harmonics in kicks and basses. Even without a sub, there's just enough low air to feel in your chest at higher volumes, something that can't be said for many monitors in this price range. "

I have a pair of Tannoy Reveal 502's which are front ported and work well in my small room (for the money)

For a small room I would go with either IK Micro or Tannoy Reveal 402.
No signature here!

I have a pair of the newish JBL 305Ps and while I can't compare them to the others you listed, they are pretty well-regarded. Check for sales as they were going for $100 per speaker on Black Friday.

Download Toneboosters Morphit and Goodhertz CanOpener demos. Put them on your master in that order.

You might hold off on buying monitors.

If you can find MSP5's for 200 bucks, buy them ASAP, that's the best monitors you can get among everything that is mentioned here, best quality ones too, built as an tank, they aren't exciting and hyped sounding with big low end, but rather surgical/revealing, you may hate that about them, if you want exciting speakers for pleasurable listening and mixing, than go with JBL's, Adam's, Mackie's and the likes, if you just want great mixing speakers that translate great, get Yamaha's.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

I have tried a bunch of different lower cost studio monitors that I thought were great at the time but then when I bought a set of Yamaha HS8s, the game changed. They are still considered middle end price wise but they are incredible monitors. It really seems like you get what you pay for when it comes to studio monitors but if you really need to adhere to a strict budget, I would suggest the Adam Audio T7V monitors. They really are about the best bang for the buck that I have ever heard.

Since you have a smaller space, there are other factors rather than just size that will affect how monitors sound in your space. We set up an informative page about the reasons why iLoud Micro Monitor is best for smaller spaces: https://www.ikmultimedia.com/products/i ... near-field

And here come IK to promote their wares.
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm And here come IK to promote their wares.
We're a business. We make the product that OP truly wants as stated, with the one caveat. We have specific data showing how a product we make is an exceptional fit for OP's situation. I shared that. I know, that's TOTALLY evil. :D

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 8:01 pm
Mushy Mushy wrote: Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:51 pm And here come IK to promote their wares.
We're a business. We make the product that OP truly wants as stated, with the one caveat. We have specific data showing how a product we make is an exceptional fit for OP's situation. I shared that. I know, that's TOTALLY evil. :D
Funny how Genelec, et al. don't feel the need to spam and they survive :shrug:
"I was wondering if you'd like to try Magic Mushrooms"
"Oooh I dont know. Sounds a bit scary"
"It's not scary. You just lose a sense of who you are and all that sh!t"

Consider JBL LSR305 old ones,220 euro for both monitors(if find them) + Samson950 closed back headphones for 29euro for low end.Cheerz :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”