General advice needed

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Samplecraze wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:04 pm Where are you based?
In the UK.

TW1306 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 4:02 pm "I really wish I was at this level" too).
general advice from someone way older than you...
at your age i wouldn't fret too much about being at any level, realise that the people you are listening to probably have engineers working on their stuff at some point, even if its just mastering, the engineers will often be people with a lot of experience.
so even if the musician is only young, theres still a lot of experience gone in to a label release.

if its other bedroom producers, for example on soundcloud, maybe they started further back in time than you? maybe they've had the right help? maybe youre just being overcritical of your own productions?

just try to relax and enjoy the process, do not try and learn "production" per se, youll hit walls that way. learn individual techniques, eg drum compression (individual versus full kit) or what ever techniques you fancy, but build up to a catalogue of techniques that together make a production.
trying to learn to do everything at once, its too much.

:tu:

TW1306 wrote: Sun Sep 30, 2018 7:41 pm
Samplecraze wrote: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:04 pm Where are you based?
In the UK.
TW, I am based in Bucks, just outside of London. I teach all levels of audio production and am happy to have a chat with you regarding your questions, no charge buddy. More than happy to help so long as you don't tie me up for days lol.

My advice, get your hands on a MIDI keyboard or a soft synth that is a proper instrument, and learn to play the instrument as an artist rather than as a scientist or engineer. The same applies to any piece of gear, approach it as an artist, and don't worry about being objectively correct. You will have far more fun and learn through experience, rather than endlessly being frustrated with trying to reach some ideal perfection.

Also, always go for a minimal setup, so if you must have an analog synth or wavetable synth, then pick just one, and use it inside out.
<List your stupid gear here>

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”