Cheapest way to Record OPTICAL IN to a PC?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I use to be able to do this with the Creative SB Audigy Extension back in the day, but it seems very difficult to find a USB audio interface that has a optical input on the cheap.

I'm running windows 8 and the fiber optical out is coming from a PS3.

Does anyone have some good ideas? It doesn't even have to a PC, if i can record wav files in very high quality from the optical cable to some device and then i could put the wav files on a PC? that would work as well.

THANKS!

Cbeapest is to accept the fact that optical spdif is definitely on the way out since hdmi and using the PS3 analog out is an acceptable solution with fine quality as well.

If you really want to squeeze out that last extra 10dB signal/noise ratio, it's going to cost you more than a hundred.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

I have a S/PDIF Mindprint TRIO, and still have a PCI E-MU 404 in my desktop and an old MacBook with digital I/O. I’ve been looking for a replacement on a budget for a while.

It depends upon the required sample rate and bit depth but there are a few USB interfaces below $100. I recently saw the Alva Nanoface for $50 on Amazon, but there have been a few issues with it, such as old drivers and not being Apple Core Audio. Creative have a USB HD interface for $60. Both of these go to 24 bit/96kHz. ESI have the XL which is only to 24 bit/48 kHz and is similar price, but is better supported.

If you can manage with 16 bit/ 44.1-48 kHz, there are generic interfaces for less than $30.

Check for ADAT on interfaces as they are usually dual purpose, so also support S/PDIF.

Personally, I think I’m going with a Raspberry Pi/HiFiBerry Digi+ I/O combo. For less than $100 you can get the Pi Board, Audio Board and Case. I can then run Reaper, Tracktion or Ardour.
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

I have an Audient iD14 and it has optical in. Not the cheapest USB interface, but well worth the money.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”