Best new vst you have tried?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am addicted to vst synths and have tried almost every existing one(on this planet)so expectations are little high already,but yet very nicely surprised by Thorn and I thought that after Thorn CM i will satisfy my addiction ,but it seems like things are going into buying full version.
If something impress you enough to make you think buying it,please share your thoughts.Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8jg0Z_czRA

Nothing really. Waiting for - Dune 3 - Diversion 2 - Spire 2. Probably Spire 2 will flash me the most again, but, could still be some time until it's released.

Europa was new to me, and it's a lot of fun to use.

Thorn is the muttz truck nutz :D
Man is least himself when he talks in the first person. Give him a mask, and he'll show you his true face

I don't try new VSTIs, no matter if they are good or not. I have enough already :help:
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

Thorn is awesome and didn't really explore it much. Should have much more time to play with it

I just got a new small controller so a lot of them are fun again!

I ended up buying the full version of Thorn after getting a great "crossgrade from Tantra" price at Plugin Boutique. Thorn CM is a damn capable synth though. Were it not for that fantastic crossgrade price, I may well have stuck with the CM version.

If you're into Thorn, I'd say Europa is a must. It's certainly doesn't replace Thorn, but it solves a few of its limitations while extending on some of Thorn's ideas in various useful ways. For instance, modulating Thorn's harmonic filter usually doesn't sound particularly smooth, with partials brutally popping in and out in the more complex filters. No such problem in Europa, and the 'harmonic filter' can itself evolve over time (vocoder style) if you use a sound file as the filter. There are some interesting post-processing options for the harmonics too, like being able to stretch the spectrum non-linearly - great for pluck-like sounds. Europa can also sound a bit brighter. The 128 harmonics per oscillator in Thorn isn't quite enough for my liking, leaving bass notes sounding a bit dull. Europa of course has some limitations that Thorn doesn't, on the other hand (e.g., you can't process all three parts through the same harmonic filter). They're fantastic complements to each other, and it'll be interesting to see if they end up cross-pollinating each other as one takes and extends on ideas from the other. I'd love to see some of the 'harmonic post-processors' like stretching and ensemble added to Thorn's harmonic filter - particularly ways to affect partial frequencies as well as amplitudes.

I'd recommend checking out Harmor too. Another great complement to Thorn and Europa. Harmor is probably the single most underrated and misunderstood plugin out there. It is remarkably deep and powerful once you (literally) look beneath the surface. The GUI doesn't make it obvious, but almost every module can be customised in some way. It'll let you draw your own filter shapes as one example (mimicking Thorn's harmonic filter), but you can also, say, draw a custom prism shape to 'bend' the harmonic structure of your sound into various shapes. It's also really fun to convert your sounds into images then 'process' them in an image editor before reimporting. Thorn and Europa's strengths are that they blend wavetable and spectral synthesis in such interesting ways, particularly in letting you use wavetable style 'oscillator effects' (a la Serum) in an additive context, but if you're looking for a pure additive/spectral (re)synthesiser to round out your collection, you really can't go wrong with Harmor. A truly remarkable machine.

cron wrote:I'd recommend checking out Harmor too. Another great complement to Thorn and Europa. Harmor is probably the single most underrated and misunderstood plugin out there. It is remarkably deep and powerful once you (literally) look beneath the surface. The GUI doesn't make it obvious, but almost every module can be customised in some way. It'll let you draw your own filter shapes as one example (mimicking Thorn's harmonic filter), but you can also, say, draw a custom prism shape to 'bend' the harmonic structure of your sound into various shapes. It's also really fun to convert your sounds into images then 'process' them in an image editor before reimporting. Thorn and Europa's strengths are that they blend wavetable and spectral synthesis in such interesting ways, particularly in letting you use wavetable style 'oscillator effects' (a la Serum) in an additive context, but if you're looking for a pure additive/spectral (re)synthesiser to round out your collection, you really can't go wrong with Harmor. A truly remarkable machine.
If anyone needs convincing about Harmor ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVda1O9SsUs

I don't need convincing... My wife might that I need to spend hours with it though.

dandezebra wrote:I don't need convincing... My wife might that I need to spend hours with it though.
Best thing is, the person making the video is getting all those cool sounds despite barely touching the advanced functionality. You see them alter the phaser shape around halfway through, but that's about it as far as 'deep' tweaking goes. You can customise almost every module like that, to the point where you're fundamentally altering how they work.

Take the 'pluck' parameter as just one example. By default it simulates what happens when you pluck a string, damping the high end so the timbre gets darker as the note rings out. The equivalent in a subtractive synth would applying an envelope to the filter cutoff. Buuuut, like so many other parts of Harmor, the pluck 'shape' can be freely drawn. You could make it do the exact opposite to its default behaviour by flipping the shaping graph upside down - so the low end tails off leaving only the high frequencies. How about some ridiculous shape where it starts full bandwidth then damps down to three individual harmonics in completely different areas of the spectrum. No problem! Now let's make it so the pluck of every voice in a unison stack decays at a different speed, or perhaps resynthesise some audio and have every voice in a unison stack playing back the sample at a different speed, or starting at a different point in the sample...

It's a rabbit hole of a synth.

Thron and Europa are my two favorite recent releases I've tried.
Nobody, Ever wrote:I have enough plugins.

Cypher 2

If Image line would ever get past that pre-alpha state on their Mac plug-ins I would consider Harmor. Any plug-in from IL I ever opened would crash within seconds, not even worth to report, that type of test they could do themself...

Tj Shredder wrote: If Image line would ever get past that pre-alpha state on their Mac plug-ins I would consider Harmor. Any plug-in from IL I ever opened would crash within seconds, not even worth to report, that type of test they could do themself...
Yes - been years now

While it's not necessarily new, I've grown quite fond of the Gorgon distortion plugin.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”