Best drum synth?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Since i start to make my own drums i discover that is relatively faster and ease to make cool drums for your projects and what is always most exiting about sound design to discover and create something new that nobody have and use so far - my question is what synth you are using to create drums and percussion for your project and would recommend as good enough to be used in producer's mix?
My trio for now is Sylenth1,Synthmaster and Tal noisemaker but could be expanded especially if there is and somebody suggest good free or affordable synths capable to make interesting stuff.Thanks.

Serum obviously but you can get the same result with Synthmaster.
Drumatic4
D16 Punchbox
Basically any dedicated drumsynth like Tremor :D

I recently bought Stacker by Sample Magic
Nice interface and easy workflow. I use to insert instances inside Bitwig's drum machine.
I love that the pitch envelope displays the notes so you can tune visually the percussion to the song.

I wish it would have more synth layers though: now it has 3 sample layers and only one is synth based. Furthermore the interface needs 3-4 seconds to open up everytime.

If you want something totally out-there try Ephemere, an FM drum synth.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Shandar wrote:I recently bought Stacker by Sample Magic
Nice interface and easy workflow. I use to insert instances inside Bitwig's drum machine.
I love that the pitch envelope displays the notes so you can tune visually the percussion to the song.

I wish it would have more synth layers though: now it has 3 sample layers and only one is synth based. Furthermore the interface needs 3-4 seconds to open up everytime.
It seems it's not sold anymore :o
I can find it in my Sample Magic account at least. :neutral:

In my opinion, the most important feature in a synth when creating your own drum sounds is having total control over your envelope curves. Beyond that, having at least a couple of oscillators and a noise source with independent control over each, or better yet multiple layers of full synth voices, and a distortion stage. Synthmaster should get you there. I’d be looking at similar synths such as Falcon, Avenger, Omnisphere, and so on. Of course, any synth can do basic drums, but it gets boring pretty quickly if you can’t go deep into crafting new sounds. I’ll sometimes make drums with my Eurorack system and sample them for later use. VCV Rack would be a great option.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Any synth without free-running oscs (or best, with the ability to set phase) - if you have Ableton, Operator kills for that. You can make a minimal kick with one sine wave and filter driver, and use the oscillator phase to dial in the amount of "click".

I do sometimes make drums with things like Monark - I'll fire it off a bunch of times and sample, then take the best samples. Else, for things like kicks, there's quite a difference in punch and volume depending on when that oscillator fires.

For drum synths, I haven't found anything I love yet (I want to love Tremor), except for DrumSpillage, which is Mac only (and unfortunately I'm on PC).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyFHPUTL4X4

As deep as you want : Synthesis and/or sample. Other tutorials on Xils YT channel for more information.
http://www.lelotusbleu.fr Synth Presets

77 Exclusive Soundbanks for 23 synths, 8 Sound Designers, Hours of audio Demos. The Sound you miss might be there

Forgot about StiX - just haven't checked it out yet (late to that party) but looks deep :)

Tremor , Elecktroid , DrumSpillage 2 , Microtonic and Heartbeat all get much use and love from me.
Tried Stix, but couldn't click with it like with the other ones.

I love microTonic but find it to be kinda "specific". Hoping for an update with a few more sound options cause it's great, if limited.

What I don't like is that you have to use the full plugin if you just need one or two sounds.

I would like that they included a "single part" version as drumaxx, use it with Live drum racks or similar solutions in bitwig and maschine.
dedication to flying

Hua Stix seems like monster,will check it... all day trying to make descent demo about curves ,tonality and pitch when make kick with Synthmaster ,which is my favorite exactly because of all these modulations,
but my system totally stop to record normal sound ...poor people struggle muahahaha :)
The kick is absolute pleasure to be crafted with favorite synth and what is probably most inspiring you can make it te way your logic don't do it ...i mean in the video i try today i want to show a basic harmony C-F#A# USING c65hz kick is logical but doesn't sound so good as kick which is somehow undefined somhewhere 45-55 hz and so on :)

Unfiltered Audio's Michael Hetrick created the free Euro Reakt collection for Reaktor Blocks which includes some handy modular-style drum synth blocks. Euroreakt is basically his PhD thesis (the manual is his actual thesis, and quite readable) and the collection is a thoughtful exploration of the modular synth ecosystem. It's good stuff!

Microtonic is my first choice, 2nd choice NI Battery and last one Tremor.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”