Mixing/Mastering Headphones: HD-600 or DT-880 Pro or..?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

3ee wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments! :)
I'm very, VERY curious on the Sennheiser HD600 so I think I'll get those..

Samson SR950 is seemingly the Superlux HD669 ...

Superlux seems to dominate the cheap side of the market in terms of audio quality ..looking at them it's hard to think they are anything but good "quality" , I never heard any model from them but am curious... do they sound grainy with treble spikes I wonder?! :hihi:

They also make a pair for Presonus AFAIK, the HD7 model should be the Superlux HD681?
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was curious if you bought the HD 600, and if so do you regret your purchase or would do it again?

BTW, the Samson Pro 850 and 950 have a nasty warning (for those who care about that sort of thing, which I do):

"WARNING: This product contains Chemicals, including DEHP, known to the State of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm."

Cheers!
“Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so I am changing myself.” Rumi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

creativeforge wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 am BTW, the Samson Pro 850 and 950 have a nasty warning (for those who care about that sort of thing, which I do):

"WARNING: This product contains Chemicals, including DEHP, known to the State of California to cause birth defects and other reproductive harm."
That ole thing... California being at it's most prudent. This warning is literally everywhere, even on wooden guitars, and it's just about the electrical cord.

It is impossible to produce usable plastic electrical cable shield without DEHP, lead and other nasty substances.

Use the cable as intended, and nothing will happen. Chew up a metre every day, and you may be at risk.

Next year California will demand to print on the package you are at risk of strangling yourself with the cord.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

BertKoor wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 8:42 am
creativeforge wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 am BTW, the Samson Pro 850 and 950 have a nasty warning (for those who care about that sort of thing, which I do):

That ole thing... California being at it's most prudent. This warning is literally everywhere, even on wooden guitars, and it's just about the electrical cord.

It is impossible to produce usable plastic electrical cable shield without DEHP, lead and other nasty substances.

Use the cable as intended, and nothing will happen. Chew up a metre every day, and you may be at risk.

Next year California will demand to print on the package you are at risk of strangling yourself with the cord.
Right... ! LOL

Any truth to these headphones being great to use possibly for an A/B comparison of a mix?

Thanks!
“Yesterday I was clever so I wanted to change the world. Today I am wise so I am changing myself.” Rumi
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

creativeforge wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 am
3ee wrote: Thu May 17, 2018 12:46 pm Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments! :)
I'm very, VERY curious on the Sennheiser HD600 so I think I'll get those..

Samson SR950 is seemingly the Superlux HD669 ...

Superlux seems to dominate the cheap side of the market in terms of audio quality ..looking at them it's hard to think they are anything but good "quality" , I never heard any model from them but am curious... do they sound grainy with treble spikes I wonder?! :hihi:

They also make a pair for Presonus AFAIK, the HD7 model should be the Superlux HD681?
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I was curious if you bought the HD 600, and if so do you regret your purchase or would do it again?

BTW, the Samson Pro 850 and 950 have a nasty warning (for those who care about that sort of thing, which I do):

Cheers!
I bought the HD-600 and they are very good, I use them along the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 which are a step up in details. I use both with a carefully set eq correction for each. HD-600 is like a workhorse and I'll probably always keep around and planing to replace the DT-1990 with the Focal Clear (or maybe the Heddphone?! need to study that and wait for the price to go down a bit :D )

I also got the Superlux HD-669 out of curiosity but I don't like them.. they have a pronounced sub bass and it's very loose, also pronounced mid-highs to highs with is kinda harsh IIRC . Maybe these can be used at very low volumes but I probably look for something else.. I became very picky about headphones! ... I probably won't like even the HD-800 :hihi:

It's very hard to find anything better than Audeze LCD-X headphones for mixing and mastering IF YOU MUST use headphones. Still not as good as using actual monitors though.

I have a pair of individually calibered Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones from SonarWorks, that I'm very, very happy with. Truth is that all headphones have their peculiarieties but since you don't have any room to contend with, it's actully possible to get an almost perfectly linear frequency response with calibration. Being able to trust what you hear makes such a big difference!

Looks like SonarWorks are clearing out their inventory ATM, so you might be able to get a great deal :-)

currentsound wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 am It's very hard to find anything better than Audeze LCD-X headphones for mixing and mastering IF YOU MUST use headphones. Still not as good as using actual monitors though.
I had the LCD-X in my short list for a long time and still am interested to at least give them a good check.. also the HD-800S ... but the winner for me seems to be the Focal Clear, at least from what I’ve studied on the internet..

The LCD-X is said to do bass particularly well all the way down with good tonal balance, dynamics/impact and detail... and that’s about it as I understand.. I have no idea until I give them a listen.. the HD-800 OTOH lacks bass amount and impact, are more bright and very detailed but are a bit harshy and unnaturally wide (the mid/center image is elongated)... The Focal Clear so far seems the winner for all categories, a “jack of all trades” but in a good way.. perfect as a reference headphone for mixing and mastering.. but am a bit worried about the ‘clicking’ problem when the driver maxes out in some instances..

Have no definite idea until I’ll have a good listen though... and yes, so far I didn’t came across a ‘perfect’ headphone for mixing/mastering and probably never is... the new Heddphone from Hedd looks promising tho :D

3ee wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:48 am
creativeforge wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:19 am
I bought the HD-600 and they are very good, I use them along the Beyerdynamic DT-1990 which are a step up in details. I use both with a carefully set eq correction for each. HD-600 is like a workhorse and I'll probably always keep around and planing to replace the DT-1990 with the Focal Clear (or maybe the Heddphone?! need to study that and wait for the price to go down a bit :D )

I also got the Superlux HD-669 out of curiosity but I don't like them.. they have a pronounced sub bass and it's very loose, also pronounced mid-highs to highs with is kinda harsh IIRC . Maybe these can be used at very low volumes but I probably look for something else.. I became very picky about headphones! ... I probably won't like even the HD-800 :hihi:
Thanks for the report! :) That's encouraging to me as I ordered a pair of HD600 last week. For a "second look" pair of headphones, I'll probably look toward something else, maybe the ATH-50X.

Which frequencies did you need to tame with the HD600? Are you using Sonarworks?
Last edited by creativeforge on Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

rasmus_b wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:19 pm I have a pair of individually calibered Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro headphones from SonarWorks, that I'm very, very happy with. Truth is that all headphones have their peculiarieties but since you don't have any room to contend with, it's actully possible to get an almost perfectly linear frequency response with calibration. Being able to trust what you hear makes such a big difference!

Looks like SonarWorks are clearing out their inventory ATM, so you might be able to get a great deal :-)
Ah, thanks! Very good thing to know! :tu:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

currentsound wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:48 am It's very hard to find anything better than Audeze LCD-X headphones for mixing and mastering IF YOU MUST use headphones. Still not as good as using actual monitors though.
Many agree that the Audeze are some of the best... but at a high price, though (out of reach for me). I use headphones for tracking (virtual instruments) and mixing. But this is not bread and butter for me, so I couldn't justify that kind of investment at the moment. I'd rather invest in better monitors, agreed!
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

creativeforge wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:39 pm .
Which frequencies did you need to tame with the HD600? Are you using Sonarworks?
I don’t trust software like Sonarworks cause each unit of any particular headphone is different, progressively more drastic towards the highs as I found out. Learn to make your own eq correction using different speeds or sine sweeps ascending and descending and fine-tune until you perceive ‘flat’

Remind me to post at least an image if not a Pro-Q preset of my correction for my HD-600 for you to try and maybe go from there.

3ee wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:30 pm
creativeforge wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:39 pm .
I don’t trust software like Sonarworks cause each unit of any particular headphone is different, progressively more drastic towards the highs as I found out. Learn to make your own eq correction using different speeds or sine sweeps ascending and descending and fine-tune until you perceive ‘flat’

Remind me to post at least an image if not a Pro-Q preset of my correction for my HD-600 for you to try and maybe go from there.
Thanks, but that is all a blur for me. I have no idea what you just wrote means, I just have a tiny home studio...
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

3ee wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:30 pm I don’t trust software like Sonarworks cause each unit of any particular headphone is different,
I'm not talking about the "general" calibration profiles that SonarWorks offer (although they are not half bad either). The headphones I have are individually calibrated, meaning they actually took this particular set of headphones out of the box, calibrated them and created a unique calibration profile just for me.
Last edited by rasmus_b on Thu Jan 09, 2020 9:02 am, edited 2 times in total.

rasmus_b wrote: Thu Jan 09, 2020 7:53 am
3ee wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 5:30 pm
creativeforge wrote: Wed Jan 08, 2020 4:39 pm I don’t trust software like Sonarworks cause each unit of any particular headphone is different,
I'm not talking about the "general" calibration profiles that SonarWorks offer (although they are not half bad either). The headphones I have are individually calibrated, meaning they actually took this particular set of headphones out of the box, calibrated them and created a unique calibration profile just for me.
Ah, thanks for clarifying! But that wasn't my comment. But the person (@3ee) will get it anyways. After a while the "quoting" posts feature gets a bit lost in the boonies... :)
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Sorry, I fixed the quote above :-)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”