Mixing/Mastering Headphones: HD-600 or DT-880 Pro or..?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello! :)

So, I'm ready to upgrade my headphones to a superior quality/price-range.
3rd day in a row so far scouting the internet on opinions and reviews...

I want fairly, fairly neutral and detailed sound (The AKG K-612 Pros served me well but some bumps and spikes in the spectrum progressively in the high-mids and highs made me question them + a precise EQ correction I did on them seems to color the sound a bit due to phase distortion I guess, also even though the bass is tight and not really lacking, the punch isn't quite there)

I will still probably do a tiny bit of EQ correction but I want it to be more broad and subtle... anyway

I'm leaning more to the Sennheiser HD-600 than the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (250 ohm)
price: 260 vs 180 euros so there's quite a difference.

I can't try them but from the info gathered:

the HD-600 is more neutral and "legendary" FWIW :D but very small yet accurate sound-stage (how does that translate into real life working scenario? )
the DT-880 Pros have a bit more extended bass (but not really that tight/solid in nature), the highs are more pronounced which is not really a good point but they supposed to be more detailed overall?!

I will drive them with my Audient iD4 (also will try the headphone amp on my Munro Sonic Egg 150 system) Hopefully I won't need a separate amp, the Audient iD4 headphone amp is known to be pretty hot so.. :phones:

Any opinions or helpful tips will be greatly appreciated! :tu:

Stop reading reviews and opinions online. Go to a real shop and listen to them. That's the only way to find the pair best for you. Or order a dozen only to send back all but one.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

HIFIMAN HE400i vs Monolith M1060

those HE400i seem interesting.. so I guess planar-magnetic drivers for more detail and extended lows in general?

Man, those Audeze Mobius headphones look like they're from the future! :wow: :o

BertKoor wrote:Stop reading reviews and opinions online. Go to a real shop and listen to them. That's the only way to find the pair best for you. Or order a dozen only to send back all but one.
What he said

I love my focal spirit pros and they have just brought out the updated listen professionals which look pretty sweet

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote:Wait for these :shrug:
Got a set on my desk right now, I certainly prefer them over the EL8's that preceeded them at that price point for the tonal balance. An A/B with HiFi man I guess would be a worthy shootoff at that price point.

3ee wrote: 'm leaning more to the Sennheiser HD-600 than the Beyerdynamic DT-880 Pro (250 ohm)
price: 260 vs 180 euros so there's quite a difference.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I can't try them but from the info gathered:

the HD-600 is more neutral and "legendary" FWIW :D but very small yet accurate sound-stage (how does that translate into real life working scenario? )
the DT-880 Pros have a bit more extended bass (but not really that tight/solid in nature), the highs are more pronounced which is not really a good point but they supposed to be more detailed overall?!
With these two you have already a pretty good choice!

I remember the time I checked these headphones for myself, already
some years ago. And yes, I agree with the valuation you gathered here:
The DT880 Pro has a little more bass and also more treble. It sounds a
litte more "hifi-ish". But this kind of "hifi-ish" sound can be achieved
with every equalizer also.

Much more important is: How analytical is the headphone? Do you hear
the triangle half left behind the guitars? Can you seperate every single
voice of a choir which is spread in the panorama? These questions are
the true criteria - and these questions are also important to "fine-analyze"
your mix.

And for me - in this last category of analytics - the Sennheiser HD-600
won. It won with a small but reproductable distance.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last not least: Go into a shop where you can try both headphones -
and listen to your favourite songs - at least half an hour - better longer.
This way you can make your very own choice!

Good luck! :D
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Highly recommend Samson SR950 for any kind of critical listening - it's boring,it's flat,no color,funless,but man...resolution and details are brutal,sound is absolutely 'PRO' for mixind,mastering and sound design,probably it has more accurate reproduction than what you hear from good 500+ euro monitors used in home environment ...and the price 28-29 euro unbelievable hit :)Do not recomend for enthusiasts and hobbyists - not gonna like the sound at all.Cheerz :)

Thanks guys, really appreciate your comments! :)
I'm very, VERY curious on the Sennheiser HD600 so I think I'll get those..

Samson SR950 is seemingly the Superlux HD669 ...

Superlux seems to dominate the cheap side of the market in terms of audio quality ..looking at them it's hard to think they are anything but good "quality" , I never heard any model from them but am curious... do they sound grainy with treble spikes I wonder?! :hihi:

They also make a pair for Presonus AFAIK, the HD7 model should be the Superlux HD681?

scottishraver wrote:
BertKoor wrote:Stop reading reviews and opinions online. Go to a real shop and listen to them. That's the only way to find the pair best for you. Or order a dozen only to send back all but one.
What he said
Absolutely.

If you're using headphones for live tracking then you don't need to worry about anything other than bleed. But if you're using headphones for critical listening then you'll want to assess them as you would with studio monitors and try them out.

Audio Technica M40x. I bough these based on these videos. Source track doesn't change at all when it get on M40x. After using these couple years now, my mixes have never translate so good to monitors and other devices. These are truly awesome headphones :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=udLoAV7YmjA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sj69-mWHV3E

keel... unfortunately, the SonicSensePro demos don't help much... People are constantly pointing out how different the products in the demo sound vs in reality and I confirm, some speakers and headphones I have and heard sound completely different.. especially headphones..

I considered the ATH-m40x some years ago but I ultimately got the AKG K612 and I was happy with the choice, now I'm looking for "a bit" more, an upgrade ... the m40x doesn't seem like it in my case but still an interesting headphone especially for the price, I'd like to give it a try on day :)

Best headphones are the Audiotechnia ATH M50x bar none!! These are what i use and they are awesome! Go online check the reviews everyone says these are the best http://www.trustedreviews.com/reviews/a ... a-ath-m50x

https://www.soundguys.com/audio-technica-ath-m50x-592/

ATH M50x seems like best choice around 150 eu ...for closed back,if budget is tight Samson SR950 is surprise for less than 30eu :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9hbjKuRDX8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WN1Ld-gT84

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”