Who are the top ten patch sound designers ?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:
Zexila wrote:Some folks got skills, but they ain't everyone's cup of tea, what I dig about some sound designers is how well they made their patches to be used in musical&mix context, not to wow you played in isolation/on their own.
I think that's what separates the good from the so-so sound designers. Especially many factory presets are absolutely unusable for me in any musical context. At least i wouldn't know how to use them in it... others - immediately usable.
Personally I prefer sounds that do stand well on their own and create their own musical context. Sounds that inspire musical exploration are more useful to me than "sitting well in a mix'.

Maybe, but some patches simply sound as if they were made on a planet where they never heard of any music we do here, if you get me. I guess that's a good thing for some people, but, frankly, i wouldn't really know for what kind of music i am supposed to use some patches, as i mentioned, mostly factory patches. Some sound designers really have a weird perception of what people would like, or, use in music. Won't name names. They know who they are. :P

Well maybe they want to make music and sounds no one has heard of, it's called creativity.

^^ Indeed; one man's potato is another man's potatoe...

Personally, I like slightly off kilter sounds if I buy presets, such as machinery noises or weird electric gurnings 8)
The traditional brass sounds I can design alright by myself.

aMUSEd wrote:Well maybe they want to make music and sounds no one has heard of, it's called creativity.
I call sh** sh**. :P

:lol: :P

Frankly, some sounds simply sound out of this world, and not in a good way. Each to his like, sure, but, if you really feel like they won't be useful for any kind of music you could imagine? Mmh... could just sample the sound of a toilet flushing too then, and claim that it's really innovative. Anyway, i get your point, and you're surely right. To some extent.

aMUSEd wrote:
chk071 wrote:
Zexila wrote:Some folks got skills, but they ain't everyone's cup of tea, what I dig about some sound designers is how well they made their patches to be used in musical&mix context, not to wow you played in isolation/on their own.
I think that's what separates the good from the so-so sound designers. Especially many factory presets are absolutely unusable for me in any musical context. At least i wouldn't know how to use them in it... others - immediately usable.
Personally I prefer sounds that do stand well on their own and create their own musical context. Sounds that inspire musical exploration are more useful to me than "sitting well in a mix'.
Personally I make almost whole thing on piano than choose the appropriate sounds, explore more musical side, than production techniques and sound mangling, also do more generic and boring music without much weirdness in it.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Have to put my oar in:

Modern category presets:

> Manuel Schleis

> Kevin Schroder

Very few duds from either of these golden eared guys.

Eric Persing has golden ears, but he's not so active or inventive these days. Fair enough.

I'm always searching for designers who can craft great sounds, so I don't mind which style the sound is in.

If it's a great sound it'll have some quality that shines through the genre.
Member 12, Studio One v6.5, VPS Avenger, Kontakt 7, Spitfire, Dune, Arturia, Sonible, Baby Audio, CableGuys, Nektar Panorama P1, Vaporizer 2 to test out

aMUSEd wrote:Well maybe they want to make music and sounds no one has heard of, it's called creativity.

i've noticed your a patch designer, i was trying out tyrell n6 the other day i uninstalled it nice patches but that synths not for me , you got a website ?
------------
Name: 4737 bunja sir

https://soundcloud.com/george-bunja-clarkson

chk071 wrote:Maybe, but some patches simply sound as if they were made on a planet where they never heard of any music we do here, if you get me. I guess that's a good thing for some people, but, frankly, i wouldn't really know for what kind of music i am supposed to use some patches, as i mentioned, mostly factory patches. Some sound designers really have a weird perception of what people would like, or, use in music. Won't name names. They know who they are. :P

man you gotta name names
------------
Name: 4737 bunja sir

https://soundcloud.com/george-bunja-clarkson

BUNJA wrote:

i've noticed your a patch designer, i was trying out tyrell n6 the other day i uninstalled it nice patches but that synths not for me , you got a website ?
It's listed in his signature, dopey! :roll:
My main tools: Kontakt, Omnisphere, Samplemodeling + Audio Modeling. Akai VIP = godsend. Tari's libraries also rock.

BUNJA wrote:

In my sig. Not really a patch 'designer' though - I just share presets I make in the course of making music but the preset creation is very much a by-product of that, not a goal in itself, and I rarely* 'design' sounds with others' needs in mind - they are made for my own purposes, but that doesn't mean others may not find them useful starting points too at times.

* except occasionally when I'm asked to contribute towards factory patches for a plugin as a beta tester

kevvvvv wrote:Very few duds from either of these golden eared guys.

Eric Persing has golden ears, but he's not so active or inventive these days. Fair enough.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

aMUSEd wrote:
deastman wrote:Three pages and no one has mentioned Eric Persing yet?! :o
Good point, actually I also like Diego Stocco
On both counts, 100% Yes!

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”