Very nooby speaker question

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi all, I hope this is in the right forum section.

I am looking at a pair of studio monitors to buy but I need to know what cables to get... Would I use a split XLR / RCA to 3.5mm to plug them both into my PC? Or do I plug one speaker into the other and then plug that one into the computer? Do I need an audio interface? They are powered speakers so it is my understanding that I don't need any type of amplifier for them.

I am sorry for such stupid questions but I am not very knowledgeable when it comes to hardware. :(

Thanks in advance.

This should be in Getting Started.

The cables you need will depend on your soundcards connections, and the speakers connections. My cables are 1/4 inch jack to XLR, but it depends what you buy.

Thanks for the reply and I apologize for posting on the wrong forum. But if i only have one 3.5mm jack, how would I plug in both speakers? Certainly not a splitter because that would be too long of a cable, I think?

You might consider getting yourself a little mixer (a few channels) then plug your soundcard into that and then your speakers/monitors into that so you can control the level you are monitoring/listening at with a knob rather than the computer - will possibly save your ears and speakers/monitors from some abuse too.

Or get a USB audio interface with ASIO drivers. That'll give you low latency, good sound, a volume knob for your speakers and for your headphones.
chickenhide wrote:But if i only have one 3.5mm jack, how would I plug in both speakers?
Something like this?

http://www.gear4music.com/G4M/Hosa-CYX- ... R3M-2m/L12

thecontrolcentre wrote:This should be in Getting Started.

The cables you need will depend on your soundcards connections, and the speakers connections. My cables are 1/4 inch jack to XLR, but it depends what you buy.
agreed, I'll leave a shadow topic here
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”