Article: a free Windows-based software studio

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Presonus STUDIO ONE free should be mentionned as the only limitation is the
impossibility to use external VSTs.
http://studioone.presonus.com/free/

Studio one blew me away for being free. Personally I like the simplicity of AngryRedPlanet's Temper though. Podium free looks pretty powerful too.

arkmabat wrote:Personally I like the simplicity of AngryRedPlanet's Temper though.
Simple ? Really, wow I was lost ... really interesting to me as I had such a different experience. The concept seems to really interest me, just not sure where to start. Have you made any songs using Temper ?

Hmm .. Original article link leads nowhere. Iz deaders. .. Is this available anywhere else? I'm quite interested. =]

I'd really love to see the article as well. I hope it will be available again. :wink:

Guys, try pasting the link in archive.org ! (pick 2013-03-28)

I've got it! . . :)

Slarti wrote:.
Guys, try pasting the link in archive.org ! (pick 2013-03-28)

I've got it! . . :)
Brilliant! Thank you! On to the reading then, there may be plugins I missed the first time around :wink:

bedjka wrote:Presonus STUDIO ONE free should be mentionned as the only limitation is the
impossibility to use external VSTs.
http://studioone.presonus.com/free/
That's quite a significant limitation. Especially if someone is a guitar/bass player and needs amp simulators. Most stock guitar amp sims are crap. No matter what the DAW. And not many VSTs are better than Amplitube or Guitar Rig in my strong and experienced opinion. If any.

Still..Presonus does look cool.

abovethoughts wrote:
arkmabat wrote:Personally I like the simplicity of AngryRedPlanet's Temper though.
Simple ? Really, wow I was lost ... really interesting to me as I had such a different experience. The concept seems to really interest me, just not sure where to start. Have you made any songs using Temper ?
I don't use Temper anymore since I got a 64 bit OS but my entry to the CM one synth challenge was all made in Temper! I love the workflow except the automation.

Cool Thanks!!!!

the links do not work here,what a pity. :?: :?: :?:

Reaper is pretty much free

Only "pretty much", but Reaper is not free, there is a 60$ discounted license and You should pay it afair after 30 days of use. Of course, You can choose not to pay, but it still isn't free :)
On the other hand, Mackie Tracktion 4 is really free.
The same goes for Podium Free or Ardour.
You can get Samplitude X2 Silver as magware, or Tracktion 5.

Ableton Live Lite comes bundled with many midi keyboards, controllers and audio interfaces. If you are just starting and one of those hardware units would have the features you want, it's a great DAW to get started.

Yes, it's limited to simultaneous 8 tracks, 4 VST instruments and 4 VST effects + Live's own fx and sound sources, but these limitations aren't nearly as serious as they might feel in today's limitless world. You can always bounce tracks to audio, or compose multitrack drums in another project and bring that mixdown in the main project, and in the end this might actually help you finish tracks- your final product is one stereo track anyway.

One good reason to start with Live is the amount of excellent tutorials available on Youtube, and they aren't limited to just showing how the application works, many focus on production and songwriting. Seeing someone build a complete track can be super helpful.

Podium Free, although not a big name in the industry, is a very nice DAW with solid workflow, clean UI and well rounded set of features.

Same with Tracktion 4, except there's no limitations, it's just an older version of a full DAW.

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”