Auto EQ correction software for vocals?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I feel that usually when I record vocals I don't really trust their frequency levels, but start thinking I need another mic or so.

Rather than relying on my own (so-called) EQ or mastering skills, I would like to have a VST effect compensating for bad freq levels. (It would also save a lot of time for me.)

I am thinking that a tool from say Izotope, Melda or ToneBoosters could do the trick, if I just stated "male vocal" and "pop". In other words, like TB's headphone correction tool.

Or perhaps this can be done already? I have Ozone elements and Melda's free MEqualizer. They do EQ compensation (or in Melda's case display typical levels for a genre) for mastering but I am not sure those would work for getting a consistent, pop-EQ-corrected make vocal line on the vocal track.

Thanks!
Thu Oct 01, 2020 1:15 pm Passing Bye wrote:
"look at SparkySpark's post 4 posts up, let that sink in for a moment"
Go MuLab!

You could try Vocal King from Jhud Studio. There's a limited feature free version too ...

https://www.jhudstudio.com/paid-plugins

Its not an auto eq, but brings out presence on vocals. Also works well on acoustic guitars.

Thanks a lot, had never heard of it before.

However, as you said it does not do what I am looking for: "For even better results, open an eq after to fine tune the tone of the sound of the vocal". I will check it out nonetheless.

I think Nectar combines these things (?), but for a much higher price.

When I come to think of it, what I ask for is not stranger than match EQ a la EQuivocate, but for lead vocal only. It would really make up for inconsistencies in mics' freq response.
Go MuLab!

Nectar is specialized on vocals and will definitely get you better results than some generic EQ. It will also suggest way more settings than just EQing.

I don't think simple EQ matching would work because it's highly dependant of pitch and timbre. The closest thing I could imagine would be Pro-Q3's match with only very few bands, to get it into a direction rather than a match.

Ah okay, I imagined this could be the case. Nectar is rather expensive though (even Elements at full price).

I saw Melda's Auto EQ on sale for 25 bucks on Plugin Boutique. Maybe it could work as well... Or maybe Ozone...

What would be cool is a 12 bucks plugin that lets me sing a test tone, identify it (or I could state the pitch) and then adjust EQ settings from that. No need really for dynamic on the fly EQ methinks! (Unless timbre indeed gets in the way. I am not really sure it does or if a mix engineer would compensate for timbres.)
Go MuLab!

How should an ordinary eq know which frequencies are good for vocals and which are not? Auto-EQs usually match to some pink noise reference or similar static spectral content which will not get you to a good result for vocals.

EQ matching can work if you have the right references for your specific vocals and are really lucky :D

AI controlled plugins like Nectar can work wonders. I recently tried it on test vocals with its assistant on moderate settings. It eq'd and de-essed the vocals unbelievable similar to what I did on a parallel chain.
It also figured out that this vocal had a critical frequency bump at around 500Hz which I'd usually cut. This time it was necessary to leave it because it was not part of the room or mic, but an essential part of the vocals timbre. Nectar left it in there while cutting it in some other vocals where it really was right to cut it.

Really! That is highly impressive! I will have to save up for Nectar Elements then...
Go MuLab!

Novaltwch Vocal Enhancer may be worth a demo.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ancer.html

And waiting a few weeks until it is $29!

dandezebra wrote: Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:44 am Novaltwch Vocal Enhancer may be worth a demo.

https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... ancer.html

And waiting a few weeks until it is $29!
Thanks! Right now on sale in a vocal bundle too: https://www.plugin-alliance.com/en/prod ... undle.html
Go MuLab!

You could also try Plugin Alliance's DSM, which can keep "bad" frequencies oppressed, as long as it has a decent "capture" to go by, but you can always try pink noise there. Or you could try like a "match" eq that will do a similar thing to the DSM, except use eq to control things rather than dynamic shaping.

simon.a.billington wrote: Sat Apr 20, 2019 2:14 pm You could also try Plugin Alliance's DSM, which can keep "bad" frequencies oppressed, as long as it has a decent "capture" to go by, but you can always try pink noise there. Or you could try like a "match" eq that will do a similar thing to the DSM, except use eq to control things rather than dynamic shaping.
Thanks for the tip!
Go MuLab!

Sonible smart:eq2 does true auto-eq-ing, but you still retain full control of the end result. There are some examples on that page, just below the marketing video. They also have a -45% spring sale on at the moment.

I own frei:raum which is based on the older eq1 tech, but still gets good results with it, albeit with more manual intervention.

+1 for Nectar

Neutron Elements can do this but have a look at Hornet's 31 band auto eq.

Just learn how to EQ properly ;-)
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”