Connecting interface to regular hifi system?

If you are new here check this forum first, your question may have been answered.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have a standard hifi setup in my studio/computer room, consisting of a Shiit DAC, Shiit headphone amp, Yamaha integrated amp, ELAC B6 passive speakers and a Klipsch dedicated sub (about 1800 EUR worth of gear). I currently use this setup for music production.

I'm considering buying a mike and a hardware synth for which I will need an interface. And I would rather connect this interface to my current hifi setup instead of buying an extra set of monitors just for the sake of connecting the interface.

My idea is to connect the SPDIF/out on the interface to my SPDIF/in on my Shiit DAC, so that I can continue to use my current audio gear for music production.

How good or bad is this idea? Any alternatives? Note that there are no jack or xlr inputs/outputs on my hifi audio gear, just the regular RCA's, optical and coaxial SPDIF.

Thanks.

hevok wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 9:35 pm
My idea is to connect the SPDIF/out on the interface to my SPDIF/in on my Shiit DAC, so that I can continue to use my current audio gear for music production.

How good or bad is this idea? Any alternatives? Note that there are no jack or xlr inputs/outputs on my hifi audio gear, just the regular RCA's, optical and coaxial SPDIF.

Thanks.
An optical connection should work fine. If not, use the RCA inputs.

Good idea. An amp is an amp, and good speakers you know really well are good speakers to use for production.

I use RCA cables with 6.3mm jack adapters all the time. Works very well, no quality loss at all.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Digital (optical/coaxial) is the way to go but get your buffer settings right before you connect. Any glitches won’t do your HiFi any favours. I have some Polk S15s and I really like the limited, tight bass. I’ve started including them in my setup to master to that sound, with a Denon amp using optical (or AirPlay).
I miss MindPrint. My TRIO needs a big brother.

Alright. Thanks all. I expected more issues :)

Return to “Getting Started (AKA What is the best...?)”