Tablet 2 MIDI - Feature requests

Official support for: livelab.dk
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

to have a single noteOn on entering the box,x or y might modulate the note number, a noteOff on leaving
By "modulate the note number" do you think "send other note on message" ?
This will cause problem if there is no note off corresponding, like now.

The ideal will be perhaps to have several modes :
- simple gate (buttons) : a defined note on number and velocity is send when enter, and a corresponding note off when going out, or when posing and removing the pen inside the button
- variable gate (XY) : idem but the note on value and the velocity can be set to X and Y. Only one note on (going in the box or clicking on it) can be sent before a note of event is sent (by going out of the box or removing the pen). A note of event use always the same note number that the last note on whatever is the actual position of the pen.
- multiple triggers (XY) : a note off is sent after each note on (fixe time value or depending of another parameter ???), notes are sent each time the pen is moving inside the box, or, if possible, inside a quantization grid ?

Only some suggestions...

Hi, I just came across this great page for using a tablet with Kyma. It has a Continuum Fingerboard implementation (called keyboard mode). There are videos. Another page here.

Check this: "Tablets ordered from Symbolic Sound include a special plastic overlay providing an XYZ grid, polar coordinates, and the halfstep markers for a two octave continuous pitch keyboard.

If you already own a Graphire3 or Intuos3, you can print and laminate a copy of this template from PDF files supplied by Symbolic Sound (or use these templates as a starting point for designing your own personalized overlays and grids)."

It seems that Kyma doesn't use MIDI notes in this example, but direct control of synthesis sound or sample pitch and start.

This could be done with T2M if a button can send only one note without retrigger it, together with a XY zone over it for X pitch and Y FX (and tilt for those who have an Intuos...).

An example of MIDI notes triggering : it is a very old Windows 3 program, but which is nice to play with the mouse or a tablet (1994, by Eric Grove).
http://mediasonie.free.fr/ressources/Midimous.rar (50 ko, no install).

It is not possible to select the MIDI port, so you must set it in the Windows preferences if you want to play a custom synthesizer.

I think that such a thing will be easy to make within the XY Pad ?

I just thought of another FR (if no one has asked for this yet and it doesn't already do it).

Showing the toggle state of buttons on the gui.

There is for me a problem with the values that are sent "out of" a Freehand object zone.

I will try to explain (sorry for my english).
If i draw an inner cercle for the max value and a bigger one for the min value, when the pen goes outside the shape but is inside the rectangular box, increasing values are sent.
That is, if the pen enters in the shape by the middle of an edge the values that are sent correspond to what I want. But if it comes in a corner, it begins by a high value before going to the min value which is defined by the green line.

So, in practice, all the custom shapes are not really usable if the pen moves from one shape to another or if they overlap, because "wrong" values are sent out of the zone which is defined between the green and the red lines.

A solution for "closed shapes", perhaps not easy, would be to ignore events when the pen is outside the green line and inside the red line ?
But if the shapes are not closed, it will be certainly more difficult to detect...

What do you think about ?

woah, I didn't check this board for a while. it looks like the software progressing by leaps and bounds. thanks for implementing relative MIDI. I can't wait to check it out (left my tablet at a friend's house, dammit. hell, I better just get a new tablet).

anyway, bravo and keep up the good work!

Hi,

Not (yet) a request, but future UMPC with Tab2MIDI (and AudioMulch's Metasurface) will constitute a very intersting control surface !
http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/feat ... obile.mspx
Perhaps in 2007 ??? :wink:

a quick GUI recommendation: tabbed layers for easily creating overlapping zones. then it would be easy to create an XY area and put a button underneath it for note triggering or what have you.. or whatever. peace!

is there any way you could have tab2midi "capture" the tablet so that you can use it no matter what program is running in the foreground? it's a bit of a drag having the tab2midi window on top when all of the cool sound generation is going on elsewhere.. :(

also, where can I download 0.74? all I see on the download page is 0.70. thanks!

ingredient t wrote:is there any way you could have tab2midi "capture" the tablet so that you can use it no matter what program is running in the foreground? it's a bit of a drag having the tab2midi window on top when all of the cool sound generation is going on elsewhere.. :(

also, where can I download 0.74? all I see on the download page is 0.70. thanks!
The capture should be active regardless of the Z-order of the window - what tablet are you using? If it's a wacom perhaps it helps downloading the latest drivers.

The text for the download link has been corrected - the link always is to the latest beta anyways so I removed the version number.
http://www.livelab.dk - slice up your life

How's about organizing the parameter window in slots. Sources like tilt, that are not supported in some tablets would not cover screen space,a source could assign more then one output parameter, the gui would be more future-proof, as changes would happen in the menues.

if a source (like tilt) is not supported it should not show up in the list - I query the tablet driver when Tablet2Midi is started and ask what it can do - some drivers might report wrong info - I've had reports that some Graphires pretend to be able to do tilt and stuff...

By the way: the foreground / background issues have been fixed in the latest update.

Don't hit the one, who's already down.:-) I just wanted to see it all the time, better hide it deep in the menue and maybe replace those parameters later with angle-of-movement from contact or box entrance, harshness of direction change, number of contacts per time..
A Intuos A6 plus Art Marker, the only pen supporting rotation ,wil cost me approx. 260Eu. Cant't afford that.

Don't hit the one, who's already down.
I remember now - you own that optimistic graphire that claims to be able to do rotation - I didn't mean to rub it in... oh I did it again didn't I :-)

I should probably add some kind of preferences dialog though - where you can choose to disable / hide the parameters you don't want to use / see by default. I like how the track parameters are expanded using little + and - buttons in cubase SX - something like that perhaps.

Another consideration I've made is to tilt the CC map screen 90 decrees, so the different parameters are shown in rows - probably easier to read and more logical.

Return to “Livelab.dk”