What does Ableton Live do when it does nothing?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:49 pm Try going to ...

Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\

and delete all but the current versions of Live (Live 10.1 and/or Live 10.1.9b4).
I just did it (removing 67 folders) and my load time went down from minutes to seconds. :)
I will, thanks! I hate how Windows scatters the files all over the system and uninstallers never remove them.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

It always perplexes me when someone asks about a DAW loading slowly (when other DAWs load fast on the same machine) and the answers come back the same: the hard drive.

No. That is not and never will be the answer. If all of my DAWs are working correctly, loading fast, and then there is one DAW that does not, even on uninstall and reinstall (actually especially then...) it is not the hard drive.

Live is MUCH slower to load than my other DAWs (Nuendo 10, Cubase 10.5, Reason 11, FL Studio 20.6, and even Maschine, though it is close with that one). I am convinced it may related to how many VSTs are being loaded or rescanned. Or it could be some other setting. But Live is slower.

Edit: the above suggestion helps!
Last edited by JonSolo on Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:42 pm
1) Boot up time is terrible - it can take 2-3 minutes, even longer when it scans / indexes for plugins and even then, when the screen finally shows up, it remains unresponsive for several seconds

Any ideas how to remedy this?
As well as deleting all your old betas try adding " -NoVstStartupScan " to the options text file in preferences to stop Live scanning VSTs at startup.

antic604 wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 5:20 pm
thecontrolcentre wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 4:49 pm Try going to ...

Users\[username]\AppData\Roaming\Ableton\

and delete all but the current versions of Live (Live 10.1 and/or Live 10.1.9b4).
I just did it (removing 67 folders) and my load time went down from minutes to seconds. :)
I will, thanks! I hate how Windows scatters the files all over the system and uninstallers never remove them.
This plus the No VSTs startup tip will make a large difference.

On my 5 year old, completely unoptimised secondary studio PC that also has a load of games software loaded onto it AND W10 installed OVER W7, Live takes about 30 seconds to load.

On my dedicated audio Mac, 8 seconds.

My version was taking ages to load, i thought because of Max and as you cannot disable it I just put up with it. So the noVST scan brought it right down to 20 secs.
so many thanks for the tip : ))

I have a recollection that it will scan on every startup if the config file is corrupted, so deleting the file and letting it do a full scan to rebuild the file should fix things. Don’t remember the location of the file, but it can probably be Googled.

Ok, full de- and re-install (+ adding the options.txt) helped with startup time - thanks!

But it didn't with projects load time or lack of response when adding new devices for the 1st time. I guess it has to be that way, as some people above also confirmed this... Perhaps it doesn't bother those for whom Live is their primary DAW, who use templates already populated with most devices and they have their music computer running all the time, etc. but for me difference is stark and not positive.

Hopefully Ableton can sort it out soon.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”