Universal Audio announces DAW LUNA

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

pekbro wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:01 am UI Reminds me a lot of Digital Performer...
The MIDI Track being a little piano roll for sure.

Lots of blatant lies in the presentation. Zero latency is impossible, unnoticeable amounts of latency doesn't sound as dramatic though. :roll:

So, it's gonna be free for Thunderbolt Apollo and Arrow users on Mac, but the Neve and Tape summing that they brag about will be sold seperately (around 300 bucks apparently). :lol:

Most of the instruments are sold seperately and can only be used inside Luna, and iLok is also required, next to your TB card being hooked on :roll:

The low-latency part of Luna apparently doesn't function when you also have a UAD dsp card hooked up (pcie or satellite) :roll:

Luna only supports AU plug-ins, and it only has 4 insert slots and 2 auxes :lol:

You still have to use the DSP for all UAD plug-ins, Luna only works natively with the summing, instruments, and daw engine. So DSP will run out just as fast as usual. :D

There's no ETA on Windows support and/or vst support, no word from UA about that. :dog:

I think UA really lost it. Come on UA, it's 2020, not 2002. And that's coming from a long time UAD user.
More BPM please

dionenoid wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm So, it's gonna be free for Thunderbolt Apollo and Arrow users on Mac, but the Neve and Tape summing that they brag about will be sold seperately (around 300 bucks apparently). :lol:

Most of the instruments are sold seperately and can only be used inside Luna, and iLok is also required, next to your TB card being hooked on :roll:

The low-latency part of Luna apparently doesn't function when you also have a UAD dsp card hooked up (pcie or satellite) :roll:

Luna only supports AU plug-ins, and it only has 4 insert slots and 2 auxes :lol:

You still have to use the DSP for all UAD plug-ins, Luna only works natively with the summing, instruments, and daw engine. So DSP will run out just as fast as usual. :D

There's no ETA on Windows support and/or vst support, no word from UA about that. :dog:

I think UA really lost it. Come on UA, it's 2020, not 2002. And that's coming from a long time UAD user.
Fabulous review, put that on the box! :clap:
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

jonljacobi wrote: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:00 pm Better picture.
I have something better than that. I was there in the Universal Audio Namm 2020 booth today and I got to use it! Here is a video of it in action! https://currentsound.com/general/univer ... ns-review/

https://youtu.be/JKSS6UbMXDA

Avid and UA are still living under a rock, no doubt about it.

dionenoid wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm So, it's gonna be free for Thunderbolt Apollo and Arrow users on Mac, but the Neve and Tape summing that they brag about will be sold seperately (around 300 bucks apparently). :lol:

Agreed.
rsp
sound sculptist

Reinventing the wheel...
It'll be 5+ years before Luna is anywhere close to the full feature set of top-tier existing DAW applications.
Mac only? Seriously?! That's just incredibly short-sighted.

UA is using their same "unison" technology.
As was mentioned above, there's no such thing as zero-latency.
With "unison", you can run UAD plugins at ~2ms round-trip latency (which is great).
Of course, you can do this with an Apollo and any DAW application (albeit slightly less integrated).

With Presonus Quantum and a fast machine, you can run sub 2ms round-trip latency with any (non-latent) plugin.
Jim Roseberry
Purrrfect Audio
www.studiocat.com
jim@studiocat.com

dionenoid wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm Luna only supports AU plug-ins, and it only has 4 insert slots and 2 auxes :lol:
It makes perfect sense as with UAD plugins you will never need more because you will never be able to run so many plugins anyway.
No signature here!

zvenx wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:19 pm Agreed.
rsp
I'm sorry to derail the thread but I've always wondered, what does rsp mean? I've tried Googling but couldn't find it. I always see people ending posts with it.
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Kongru wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:50 pm
rsp
I'm sorry to derail the thread but I've always wondered, what does rsp mean? I've tried Googling but couldn't find it. I always see people ending posts with it.
:)
well mine is my initials.
I am not sure or even aware other ppl do it.
Of course there is rsvp which I am sure you know about.
rsp
sound sculptist

zvenx wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm
rsp
rsp
Ah ok, I think I've seen you on another forum then :)
Signatures are so early 2000s.

Mac only? what a joke

looks very nice. good thing I can transform my DAW in this. Lol

Kongru wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:33 pm
zvenx wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:07 pm
rsp
rsp
Ah ok, I think I've seen you on another forum then :)
lol
Best form of procrastination there is :)
But yes I move around :)
rsp
sound sculptist

robotmonkey wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:27 pm
dionenoid wrote: Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:13 pm Luna only supports AU plug-ins, and it only has 4 insert slots and 2 auxes :lol:
It makes perfect sense as with UAD plugins you will never need more because you will never be able to run so many plugins anyway.
So True :lol:
Fernando (FMR)

I actually see them losing alot of customers with this release. More options, yet less power from the hardware. And to remain relevant you'd have to continue to buy into the future hardware to power the plugins?
Have they released the plugin cpu consumption chart count yet for the new stuff?
INTERFACE: RME ADI-2/4 Pro/Antelope Orion Studio Synergy Core/BAE 1073 MPF Dual/Heritage Audio Successor+SYMPH EQ
SYNTHS: Korg Kronos X 88/Yamaha Montage M8x/Sequential Trigon 6/
Behringer DM12D/Pro-800

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”