my results of DAWbench-tests with AMD Ryzen 3950x

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So finally I got my new system with Ryzen 3950x up and running.
Here's my results from doing the tests from DAWbench.com:

Setup
OS: Windows 10 (1909) with Ryzen Power Scheme activated
DAW: Cubase Pro 10.5.0 (with ASIO-guard level: Normal if nothing else stated)
Processor: AMD Ryzen 3950x (no OC)
Memory: DDR4 3600 MHz with CL17 (no OC)
Audio interface: RME Digiface

Results

Test 1:
DAWbench-DSP-C7-1566 @ @ 44.1 kHz / 128 samples (all 320 instances of SGA): 74.4% CPU Usage. Screenshot:
Cubase_10.5_DAWbench-DSP-C7-1566.png
Test 2:
DAWbench-DSP-C7-1566-EXT @ 44.1 kHz / 128 samples (all 320 instances of reaXcomp): 10.7% CPU Usage.

Test 3:
DAWbench-DSP-C7-1566 @ 44.1 kHz / 32 samples (all 320 instances of SGA): 75.6% CPU Usage.

Test 4: trying to maximize CPU usage
DAWbench-DSP-C7-1566 @ 44.1 kHz / 128 samples (404 instances of SGA): 91% CPU usage.

Test 5: REAPER
DAWbench-DSP-C7-1566 @ @ 44.1 kHz / 128 samples (all 320 instances of SGA): 79.5% CPU Usage. (weird, it's a little more CPU usage than Cubase actually...)

Test 6: trying to maximize CPU usage with SGA set to High Performance Mode (same as Scan Pro Audio did in their other Ryzen 3000 tests)
DAWbench-DSP-C7-1566 @ 44.1 kHz / 128 samples (): Here's comes the "problem" (ie one core is "full" with 7 instances instead of 8 instances = stutter). Gonna test it some more...

Test 7: "Real-world test"
I opened up a project of mine which took about 95% CPU usage on my overclocked Intel i7-4790k Quad Core @ 4.6 GHz, at 256 samples. Result: Same project took only 25% CPU usage on Ryzen 3950x with 128 samples. So that's 4 times as fast in this case and with lower latency. :tu:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Did you have a chance to test with ASIO guard OFF instead of Normal. If so did you see any performance impact either way?
And thanks... finally we start to see some benchmarks and with decent memory frequencies and timing as well.

I'd love to know what happens to you CPU load when you increase your latency to 512 samples in these tests. Typically I start my mixes at low latency then as I add processing chains to vocals and layered synths. I increase it as far as I need to avoid bouncing if possible. I am running at 3930 k at 4.2 ghz all cores presently. I am seriously looking at the 3950x and the 3970x for a February build.

Thanks for the results, really amazing. I am interested in the 3950x as well, maybe a "little" too expensive right now but really great performance. Could you also make a test what results are when you export audio, say to a 16bit /44 khz wave file? Seems like Cubase 10.5 is a slow at rendering, while reaper is really fast...

Very interesting. I've also got a 4790k and would like to jump up to a 3950x. Question: what motherboard are you using?

is the system stable compared to intel ?

Thanks for this!

Haven't had the time to do much more tests but the machine is stable. Also cool and quiet (much more so than my previous Intel). I guess its because I'm not using any mechanical disks anymore and a very efficient CPU-fan, Noctua NH-D15. The ASUS PRIME X570-P motherboard also got really good VRM's (more or less the exact same as the expensive ASUS premium boards) which I imagine is also a factor.

Interesting fact: memory speed on Ryzen DOES makes a huge difference. I downclocked the memory to 2100 Mhz and I got a significant lower benchmark results after that.
Last edited by cnt on Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Tue Dec 24, 2019 2:00 pm Very interesting. I've also got a 4790k and would like to jump up to a 3950x. Question: what motherboard are you using?
ASUS PRIME X570-P. Really good value, can be bought for under €190. Its a motherboard without the extras that I don't need (like WIFI, TB3, etc).

hello cnt,

thx for sharing your test. thats great.
can u tell us which hardware u were using to built your new computer.
name of ram, case etc..
that would be really great.
thx in advance

Just here to say I'm still very happy about my setup.. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”