In place upgrade from Win 7 to 10, what happens with activated software?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Actually now you come to mention it I do remember issues with my internal firewire card (it used some weird proprietary Ricoh chipset) back when I updated to Windows 8, so bit the bullet and upgraded to a USB audio interface. That was the only driver issue I faced, the video card and all other io devices (wifi, BluRay drive, internal soundcard, usb devices) all worked (and continue to work) fine.

IIRC Windows 10 runs tests on your previous OS setup to check all is compatible before even starting the update anyway - Windows 8 I think just did the upgrade regardless :D

EDIT CAVEAT: Obviously there's a mind-boggling combination of Windows hardware/software configs out there, so my 'luck' in pretty much everything being fine and fast in my years in updating the OS might not be matched by others !
Last edited by mcbpete on Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I have actually done one in place upgrade of Windows 7 to 10 myself too, come to think of it. I have an old laptop that I upgraded a couple of years ago. The performance of that computer went to hell after the upgrade and I was thinking about doing a clean install just to compare (if the bad performance was because of some spooky Windows 7 zombieness, or because Windows 10 simply requires better CPU and more RAM to run smoothly... or both). Never got to it though.

One bad thing this laptop does is showing "Windows configuring updates" (or something like that) ever so often when I start it, and then it takes half an hour before I get access. I haven't experienced this behavior on any cleanly installed Windows 10 systems.

pekadan wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:47 pmOne bad thing this laptop does is showing "Windows configuring updates" (or something like that) ever so often when I start it, and then it takes half an hour before I get access.
Were they maybe doing the big v1703/1803/1903 updates to Win10? That's the only occassions mine has taken it's fine time to boot up

mcbpete wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:06 pm
pekadan wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:47 pmOne bad thing this laptop does is showing "Windows configuring updates" (or something like that) ever so often when I start it, and then it takes half an hour before I get access.
Were they maybe doing the big v1703/1803/1903 updates to Win10? That's the only occassions mine has taken it's fine time to boot up
Don't think so. It has happened quite a few times. Good to know you haven't experienced that kind of problem after upgrading though!

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:04 pm

Thanks, I've just updated the first post in the thread I linked to so it's a little more clear in my wording, added some additional links and added a video I found online which should help give a better understanding of Bootice. :)
Amazing resource... I will be pulling from this in February when I build my new system. Many thanks!

pekadan wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:06 pm
Kinh wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:49 pm Dont do it! I wouldn't. It's not worth the risk or effort. Windows 10 is rubbish. They should've just called it Vista 2.0. Total crap. Windows 7 is way ahead in terms of usability. Upgrade to 10 if you dont mind wearing concrete boots
Well I'm perfectly happy with Windows 7, but after January it won't be updated anymore and more and more developers will be dropping support. I think if I decide to do an in place upgrade I should do so before January (while the upgrade is still offered). Otherwise, if I decide to do a fresh install of Win10, I might wait until the dropped support for Win7 starts to really affect me and/or I get money to build a new PC. (I thought I was there already when I installed Waves Horizon v11 a few days ago and got a "no support for Win7" message. But the Waves v11 plugins actually seem to work on Win7 despite the warning).
I didn't know they were stopping updates for 7. Such a pity. 10 is ridiculously messy. Makes everyday tasks like accessing folders a big song and dance + win7 is far more stable.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”