Vocal Track looks like Stereo track

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hey, guys!
I got the files from the vocalist with the vocal track. His vocal track has 2 lines as if it was stereo. He bounced it in Logic on Mac. When I record my vocals, they are always single line! He says- this is how his vocals always come out and it is mono track. I am concerned that he sets it up some kind of wrong way and that he has duplicated L+R mono signals on one track. Otherwise- how do you explain stereo-looking track? (also lines identical).
When I set up my Mic (in my studio with Cakewalk Sonar on Windows), I have options: Motu 1, Motu 2 or Motu 1+2. If I select stereo track (Motu 1+ Motu 2), I would have wavy looking drawing on one side and straight line on another side of this track. If I select Motu 1, I get one wavy line in the middle- never 2 lines. If I select Motu 2- I will get straight line because nothing is connected. I can make them to be 2 lines if I apply some kind of Mono to Stereo effect. But he says- there is no effects. Why 2 lines on one track? Thank you.

Split into two mono tracks. Reverse phase on one. Play both. If you have silence, it was simply duplicated. If you don't, either an effect happened somewhere or it was a stereo mic. I'm guessing something in the software automagically applied an effect -- fake stereo via a delay, most likely.
Wait... loot _then_ burn? D'oh!

How do I split in 2 mono tracks? I just need one! The guy is doing work for hire for many clients and he says- he always gives to everybody the same looking track. I would like to know that it is in fact single mono track. Thank you.

If you wanna be sure, just put a stereo-scope on the track to see difference between left & right.

No need to panic, if you cannot hear it at first glance on phones, it's all ok. He just gave you dual-mono, twice the size, same track on left&right.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Thank you for replies. Still trying to figure out what that is and how it happens. When I click on Mono/Stereo Icon on my track and it changes from Stereo to Mono- there is a difference in sound. Very small. When on stereo, I dont hear duplication (it does not sound tense like if you copy mono vocal track and play 2 at the same time). But when I change from Stereo to Mono, something disappears- it sounds like there was some very small effect on the track. It is barely audible. I am afraid- if I just split his track, I will be missing something that went to another half of the track- like if there was some kind of stereo effect and the tracks not identical.

Sounds like he could have rendered a mono recording as stereo (dual mono essentially). It's an easy mistake to make. If you have a wav editor, try dragging one side (left or right) onto a new mono file ...

Astralv wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:12 pm Hey, guys!
I got the files from the vocalist with the vocal track. His vocal track has 2 lines as if it was stereo. He bounced it in Logic on Mac. When I record my vocals, they are always single line! He says- this is how his vocals always come out and it is mono track. I am concerned that he sets it up some kind of wrong way and that he has duplicated L+R mono signals on one track. Otherwise- how do you explain stereo-looking track? (also lines identical).
When I set up my Mic (in my studio with Cakewalk Sonar on Windows), I have options: Motu 1, Motu 2 or Motu 1+2. If I select stereo track (Motu 1+ Motu 2), I would have wavy looking drawing on one side and straight line on another side of this track. If I select Motu 1, I get one wavy line in the middle- never 2 lines. If I select Motu 2- I will get straight line because nothing is connected. I can make them to be 2 lines if I apply some kind of Mono to Stereo effect. But he says- there is no effects. Why 2 lines on one track? Thank you.
He probably did not export as mono file but used ''mixdown song'' hence the stereo view of the vocal file. It happens, nothing to worry.

He is in Logic. This is the screenshot he sent me- nothing there says- stereo or mono. https://cdn.filepicker.io/api/file/c7lhMLbwRiy2ppiPaaGQ

viewtopic.php?f=62&t=535297

some good information pertaining to this issue here :)
hope it helps.

As I guessed he probably soloed the vocal and bounced the project. On the right where it says
''File Type: Interleaved'' means combined L and R as one stereo file. Even if you record a mono track and use bounce it will give you a stereo file unless you select mono during bounce. So you either split the file to L R and use one side or if your DAW has a stereo/mono switch on tracks switch it to mono. You can also use it as it is.

I am not sure how, but there is slight difference when I switch from Stereo to Mono in my track options. I am wondering how effects will behave if processing Stereo track instead of Mono. It should be easy for the vocalist to fix as he did not give me the final file- just need to know what it is and how it happens. Thank you.

It becomes louder but that should be the only difference. if it is one track that is . For the final file ask for mono export of the file or split bounce :tu:

Thank you, we figured it out. It was bounce issue.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”