Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

Trancit wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:55 pm
jethrobull wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:33 pm
electronic115 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:29 pm the new theme is a little hard to see
the good thing in Reaper is you can change everything, if you know photoshop
this took me an hour
That looks great! :tu:
That looks great???
Sorry, I don´t want to hurt somebody but do you have any problems with your eyes...
It couldn´t be more ugly for me... :o
:lol: :lol: Don't worry, you're not hurting anybody and yes, there's quite possibly something wrong with my eyes but as they say, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder" :wink:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

Trancit wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:55 pm That looks great???
Sorry, I don´t want to hurt somebody but do you have any problems with your eyes...
It couldn´t be more ugly for me... :o
that is for my personal use, and I like it
you can do yours as you like, That's what I said

FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:19 am @ fairlyclose: Yes, simply rendering of selected multiple items to a new single one that then pops up on a new track
Check out the Yanick Bounce Scripts:

https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=215733

That's what I'm using. As a bit of advice, "Resample" frequently means changing the sample rate. Rending items is more commonly referred to as bouncing. Maybe why you had trouble finding a way to do that in reaper.

There are options to bounce the selection (the one I use most frequently), mixdown the selection, render to a new track, etc.
Last edited by Funkybot's Evil Twin on Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

electronic115 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:24 pm that is for my personal use, and I like it
you can do yours as you like, That's what I said
It's got a bit of a Windows 3.1 look with the light gray, white menu boxes with black text, and very hard colors, but it's very legible. Do you! :tu:

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:59 pm It's got a bit of a Windows 3.1 look with the light gray, white menu boxes with black text, and very hard colors, but it's very legible. Do you! :tu:
Lol, :) then ableton looks like Windows 3.1, i'm trying to put reaper like ableton
Very simple, because real graphics are very distracting

Last edited by electronic115 on Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:56 pm
FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:19 am @ fairlyclose: Yes, simply rendering of selected multiple items to a new single one that then pops up on a new track

That's what I'm using. As a bit of advice, "Resample" frequently means changing the sample rate. Rending items is more commonly referred to as bouncing. Maybe why you had trouble finding a way to do that in reaper.

There are options to bounce the selection (the one I use most frequently), mixdown the selection, render to a new track, etc.
Thanks,
I may be weird but i try to stay away from scripts as much as possible and would rather Reaper itself have improved (i also have no clue how to implement scripts, or getting rid of them again if i don't want them anymore). Might of course just be fear of the unknown :party:

As far as i'm concerned, resampling comes from the sampler world, simply meaning that their outputs (even if routed completely internally) are being recorded/sampled again, usually with effects and/or modulations applied. Of course this also includes utilarian tasks like sample rate conversion, though i'd be more inclined to simply call those up- or downsampling respectively, despite they're also being resampled in the process.
And of course i've looked for “bounce...“, or “render...“, but haven't found anything that worked as (i) expected.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:56 pm I may be weird but i try to stay away from scripts as much as possible and would rather Reaper itself have improved (i also have no clue how to implement scripts, or getting rid of them again if i don't want them anymore). Might of course just be fear of the unknown :party:
Some scripts can be cumbersome and need to run constantly in the background, others work just like any other action in Reaper. These scripts are the latter. Just load them into Reaper, and run them like any other action. Easy-peasy. I agree some of these more common functions should be built in, but one of the advantages of Reaper is things like this exist solely because it's so open.

FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:56 pm As far as i'm concerned, resampling comes from the sampler world, simply meaning that their outputs (even if routed completely internally) are being recorded/sampled again, usually with effects and/or modulations applied.
Yeah, except in the DAW and analog recording worlds, that's known as a bounce (bounce down), mixdown, or a render. Not resampling. When you're talking about a DAW feature, using sampling-specific terminology may lead to confusion. Things are hard enough already without mixing jargon. If you said, "I haven't found a way to just bounce down audio from a selected part" there wouldn't have been the follow up question of "what do you mean by resampling?" Not a big deal. Just sayin... :hug:

electronic115 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:33 pm Lol, :) then ableton looks like Windows 3.1, i'm trying to put reaper like ableton
Very simple, because real graphics are very distracting
Well, no. Ableton Live has a flat GUI with a similar color scheme. It also doesn't use white text backgrounds with black text. The psuedo-3D elements with that color scheme, on the other hand, very much feel like an old Windows application to me.

I'm not knocking it. If it works for you, great. Just looks like a throwback to old-school Windows applications to me.

Two videos on the new REAPER 6 features I made this week

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tVP4Wp8Dx0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rs3xNRYBrlE
⬆ Jon from The REAPER Blog

I do this all the time, just route the track or tracks you want to resample to an empty track, and on the empty track set it to record audio from output, so it will be armed to record whatever audio is coming from whatever tracks you are routing to it. Unless I'm missing something this is like really easy to do in Reaper and I do it often because I often use a ton of plugins stacked together and want to get it to audio asap to save cpu.
FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:56 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:56 pm

Thanks,
I may be weird but i try to stay away from scripts as much as possible and would rather Reaper itself have improved (i also have no clue how to implement scripts, or getting rid of them again if i don't want them anymore). Might of course just be fear of the unknown :party:

As far as i'm concerned, resampling comes from the sampler world, simply meaning that their outputs (even if routed completely internally) are being recorded/sampled again, usually with effects and/or modulations applied. Of course this also includes utilarian tasks like sample rate conversion, though i'd be more inclined to simply call those up- or downsampling respectively, despite they're also being resampled in the process.
And of course i've looked for “bounce...“, or “render...“, but haven't found anything that worked as (i) expected.

Thanks! Have been using Edison for stuff like this
Ctrl + whatever key would be nicer, but still better than nothing i guess
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:56 pmCheck out the Yanick Bounce Scripts:

Many thanks for the link. Didn't know them. :hug:

Astromann wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:09 pm Credentials sometimes can be useful, especially on the Internet, for all I know...you may only be able to play a one string ukelele and for all you know I may be totally tone deaf.
Which has little or no impact on the conversation. The implication is that only someone who is a "real" musician is capable of opinions. The fact is there are professionals that have terrible opinions, and amateurs that have great ones. You're implying that somehow status matters in a conversation on a public forum, which is nonsense.
Me "right of the track"?? That quote you jumped on to quickly and eagerly criticize was actually quoted wrong.
I did not say anything about key commands being quicker than icons...I said assigning those actions to Icons.
A completely different point, go an reread it before you jump to conclusions.
So its a moot point, read before you respond.
As far as liking or not liking everything about Reaper...I agree with that, there are things that annoy me about it, but it still gets the job done, so I put up with the annoyances.
So you missed the point here, I spent and do spend a lot of time customizing Reaper, I still have some complaints about it. My customization does not immediately make my complaints go away. This was implied, that your customization method made you less likely to complain about UX shortcomings in Reaper. You were basically insinuating that people who were unhappy with the initial UX of Reaper out of the box were simply not spending time customizing Reaper to be efficient, which isn't true for everyone.
I merely said we don't know what anyone's background is on a forum, and added that others opinions obviously differ from mine...all good.
However you decided to read something else into it because maybe you need to justify your views by insulting and trying to put down others, BTW thats a different way to "Self Aggrandize" to minimize, judge and then insult others so you look good.
So all I can say is.... I am truly honored to be in the presence of such a great seer with such insight and power of judgement, and I am very happy to be corrected by you your honor!
This is the type of thing that people write when they know they don't have a point, there is only one reason to bring up ones resume, to add weight to ones own post.

and your resume doesn't change that, that's the curmudgeon syndrome I mentioned.
Wow...you are sooo wonderful and superior, and sooo humble too...I must surely listen so I can learn from you and become just like you.
Chastise and insult others on a forum or wherever and likely you will get a similar response back, but obviously your mother never taught you that.
Seriously you are being a judgemental and insulting idiot with a superiority complex who doesn't even read a comment properly before responding, judging and insulting.
So for your own sake...go and talk a cold shower and take your dog for a walk and mellow out.
Jeez
I suppose I broke a rule by calling you a curmudgeon, I figured it was light hearted enough to no be taken seriously, but judging from the fact you went right to calling me an idiot obviously it's a sore spot for you.

All in all you're making this personal instead of addressing my points about Reaper. Again like I've already stated, I heavily customized Reaper, I do like and use it. I do think out of the box when you first approach it, it's pretty badly set up. This isn't about it being too complex, trying to make it look simple and easy, or wanting Reaper to become Ableton. This is about liking Reaper and wanting new users to not be confronted with UX issues that have nothing to do with the debate about skeuomorphism VS flat aesthetics, but about workflow oriented design out of the box.
Again the problem with addressing or even talking about these issues on public forums becomes that people take personal offense to even mentioning that a fantastic DAW like Reaper might have areas where it could be improved. You most definitely did, attempted to break it into a matter of pro vs amateur, attempted to state that those who aren't happy with Reapers initial UX are not taking time to customize it etc. You attack the character of the argument by attempting to address the "hidden" reasons for the complaint.
Anyway I knew this wouldn't well, but again, people will have legitimate complaints about the UX of Reaper without it being a matter of them not being professional, knowing the software, liking to post on KVR, or liking to debate about it. None of those things have anything to do with the fact that the DB readout jumps around the GUI at different settings unattached to the meter. :shrug:

elassi wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:00 pm
Funkybot's Evil Twin wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:56 pmCheck out the Yanick Bounce Scripts:

Many thanks for the link. Didn't know them. :hug:
Enjoy! The nice thing is you can assign them to a key command or toolbar icon and you're basically good to go just like it was a built-in feature.

machinesworking wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:16 pm Anyway I knew this wouldn't well, but again, people will have legitimate complaints about the UX of Reaper without it being a matter of them not being professional, knowing the software, liking to post on KVR, or liking to debate about it. None of those things have anything to do with the fact that the DB readout jumps around the GUI at different settings unattached to the meter. :shrug:
Yep...No point in going back and forth debating on this subject.
Some things bother some people more than others, that's just the way life is. :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”