Reaper 6.0 Is Live

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
REAPER

fairlyclose wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 1:42 am the confusion between appearance and UX has ruined Reaper UX development. I spent a lot of time over the years on the Reaper forum arguing for all sorts of improvements but gave up quite a while ago - just too many people who have no idea they have no idea but are firm in their contempt for the skills designers have developed over many generations.
Completely agree. Like I mentioned I've been guilty of the same thing, looking at pretty GUIs thinking this is what matters, but it's obvious what good design is when you use something designed well.

Live is another interesting one that way. The UX is a mess of well thought out ideas, and UX compromises based on a set of design rules Ableton doggedly sticks to. It's elegant in it's two dimensional approach, and impractical when you can't instantly distinguish it's built in plug ins from each other for instance, or the reliance on mousing for practically everything.

I could go off about Logic and DP as well, but I suppose to a degree some UX issues are due to the age of the DAWs but then there's the color palette in Bitwig, just taking up space for no godammed good reason... I'm really liking the way Performer Lite is looking, I hope the same design is going to be used in the upcoming update to DP10.

Reaper I think isn't about to get any better in the UX department, because the answer is always that you can script your own UX experience so... (lol see above for proof!)

I'm glad it's got alternative themes, that's the main thing. :tu:

Haven't put a post on here for a long, generally I make music for most of the day.
I use Reaper daily...often for many hours, I also have used Live a fair bit more recently and have used Logic for years and years too (not anymore).
I also design some soundsets as well...recently for Amplify Music's Launchpad on the iPad, and have done a lot of quick sketch compositions in groovebox as well...the list goes on.
Anyway Reaper is lightning fast for me, I barely use the Menus at all...all custom actions assigned to toolbar icons.
So it does exactly what I want, there is no other DAW that can do that, I have tried.
And this is for fully automated VST with the CC lanes etc when they are needed...and sub mixers routed to different places etc...

I am basically posting to say that there appears to be two types of users...
1.Those that are happy to customize it a little (and I am not talking about themes..or even scripts) I am talking about actions to toolbars with custom icons (which are dead easy to set up) and once those are working...you will live in a more or less no menu environment.
Some people don't get that approach tho, or they don't want to spend a couple of days making it their OWN DAW, so they fit into the other category.

2. Those that want a well defined DAW that lays out everything in neat menus and windows, but with less options,
That's fine...each to their own...however the reason I posted is because some of these people that are giving advice and criticism seem to think that if it doesn't work the way they think it should (as described above) then its simply somewhat retarded and those that use it are not that enlightened as to what a decent DAW should be like.
Many come across as being a bit condescending , but while reading some of the comments I could see that many of them haven't a clue what Reaper is about in terms of making it your own or setting it up.
And on top of that, no one knows how good many of these posters that seem to find time to post several times daily, how much music have they made? how good are they at composing/arranging, or do they just post all day?
Oh well thats Internet forums for ya! Lots of opinions and no one agrees on much at all.
For me Reaper is a great DAW, and I wouldnt trade it for any other in terms of efficiency and productivity.
Others opinions obviously vary.

Astromann wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:21 am Haven't put a post on here for a long, generally I make music for most of the day.
I use Reaper daily...often for many hours, I also have used Live a fair bit more recently and have used Logic for years and years too (not anymore).
I also design some soundsets as well...recently for Amplify Music's Launchpad on the iPad, and have done a lot of quick sketch compositions in groovebox as well...the list goes on.
Anyway Reaper is lightning fast for me, I barely use the Menus at all...all custom actions assigned to toolbar icons.
So it does exactly what I want, there is no other DAW that can do that, I have tried.
And this is for fully automated VST with the CC lanes etc when they are needed...and sub mixers routed to different places etc...
I'm glad it works for you, I'm not sure why you needed to give your credentials? but OK?
I am basically posting to say that there appears to be two types of users...
Yeah, right away I know where this is leading, and it's not pretty.
1.Those that are happy to customize it a little (and I am not talking about themes..or even scripts) I am talking about actions to toolbars with custom icons (which are dead easy to set up) and once those are working...you will live in a more or less no menu environment.
Some people don't get that approach tho, or they don't want to spend a couple of days making it their OWN DAW, so they fit into the other category.
Yeah right away you're off track, I tend to learn key commands fairly quickly, since to me they're quicker than buttons/icons. I like that Reaper is completely customizable. I don't like that certain things are not, that it's not very well though out, out of the box. See, I would like to see Reaper with a huge user base, I'm not thinking about myself with my criticisms.

2. Those that want a well defined DAW that lays out everything in neat menus and windows, but with less options,
You mean like which DAW? At this point most of them are amazing under the hood. Only Live has some noticeable shortcomings.
That's fine...each to their own...however the reason I posted is because some of these people that are giving advice and criticism seem to think that if it doesn't work the way they think it should (as described above) then its simply somewhat retarded and those that use it are not that enlightened as to what a decent DAW should be like.
Yeah, no, there are a lot of great improvements to Reaper in the year or two that I've owned and used it, but certain UX issues aren't going away, as talked about in this thread, some have gotten worse.

The issue is that some people get offended when someone points out inconstancies with their DAW of choice. I get it, because sometimes it's just someone dumping on that DAW for no reason, but sometimes it's legitimate complaints, and at those times, there does tend to be Defenders™ that step in with the same vitriol as a mother whose babies are being attacked.

Many come across as being a bit condescending , but while reading some of the comments I could see that many of them haven't a clue what Reaper is about in terms of making it your own or setting it up.
And on top of that, no one knows how good many of these posters that seem to find time to post several times daily, how much music have they made? how good are they at composing/arranging, or do they just post all day?
Oh well thats Internet forums for ya! Lots of opinions and no one agrees on much at all.
For me Reaper is a great DAW, and I wouldnt trade it for any other in terms of efficiency and productivity.
Others opinions obviously vary.
This is a lot of self aggrandizing and assumptions, mostly bad.
Now your initial resume makes sense, for all the wrong reasons.

I get it, the internet forum syndrome where it's impossible to listen to criticism of anything you love, and of course actual unnecessary bashing etc. but I often wonder if this isn't the reason why we can't have a decent user experience initially from DAWS like Reaper? I've customized the interface and thankfully 6 doesn't ruin any of that, but I know for a fact that a huge ton of people who use equally complex and obtuse upfront DAWs up front are turned off by the sludge up front.

Admittedly some of it has gone away in 6, it sets up instrument tracks initially to work without having to check off a list of things etc. CC editing is big to me, it was a PITA on my desktop compared to other DAWs. I just don't get blanket statements about any complaint being users that don't write music, don't know the software etc. etc. Not all complaints are invalid because they aren't your complaints, and your resume doesn't change that, that's the curmudgeon syndrome I mentioned. :wink:

What i couldn't figure out in all the time i've been using Reaper is how to properly resample in an intuitive way.
Let's say i have a few audio and MIDI items spread across a few tracks and want to resample those either with or without track FX included to a single new clip.
In other DAWs like ACID or Sonar (after an imo way more intuitive way of cusomizing your shortcuts/mouse behaviors) it's a matter of selecting desired clips and hit Ctrl + a certain key.
In Reaper i haven't even found the proper function to assign a keyboard shortcut to.
I'm also yet to find how to send SysEx messages, so i'm using my old version of Sonar exclusively for that.
I'm confident it's existing somewhere, i simply wasn't able to find this function, whereas in other DAWs i tried they are usually located in ‘logical‘ places you can find almost instantly. But maybe i'm just too dumb.
Don't get me wrong, i love Reaper for many things, but when it does things ‘wrong‘, which of course probably every DAW does in some regards, it does those things ‘extraordinarily wrong / downright stupid‘, or at the very least really well hidden within menus and menus in a terminology noone else but them is using.
Sure you can customize it like crazy, which i do within my abilities, but i've never found a DAW that could provide such a rollercoaster ride from pure delight to pure frustration or disgust.
I could customize Sonar's keyboard shortcuts and mouse behaviors too, but in an imo way more logical and user friendly way.
Of course it couldn't do things like scripts at all
Oh and effects list organization/customization also still has some work to do as far as user friendliness / smooth workflow is concerned. Even my more than a decade old copy of Sonar does this a lot better.
The GAS is always greener on the other side!

FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:06 am
Let's say i have a few audio and MIDI items spread across a few tracks and want to resample those either with or without track FX included to a single new clip.
what do you mean by "resample" ? Is it the same as "render"?

Pretty horrible aliasing around n the record button , no retina screen
Tried every possible percentage , no luck
Last edited by gentleclockdivider on Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

@ fairlyclose: Yes, simply rendering of selected multiple items to a new single one that then pops up on a new track

Would a writer say : should I write my book with Openoffice or Microdoft Writer ?

With with soft will my book be better ? Every pro uses microsoft so It must be better !

15 pages on this topic and no strong argements to conclude which DAW is better just opinions and user taste.

But in my opinion rules are biased because of agressive marketing from Ableton, which I already said in another post.
Reaper does not advertise.

Reaper does not need marketing but has a strong user base.
There are also no evidences that many artists use Ableton only saying and what magazines are paid to write.

Also can we put in the balance : Ableton 800 $ + push 600 $ if you want the most out of it ?
Reaper ... 60 $
Will that extra money allow you to make a better music ?
We all know the answer.

FapFilter wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:19 am @ fairlyclose: Yes, simply rendering of selected multiple items to a new single one that then pops up on a new track
I just spent more time than I care to admit trying to make a custom action for this. It's pretty cumbersome and far from perfect (for example the items have to be on consecutive tracks) and requires SWS and an additional script.
This actually seems like it would be pretty useful for me personally, though far from basic. As far as I'm aware, there's no straightforward way to do this in Live, FLStudio, or Cubase which are the only other DAWs that I use.
Out of curiosity, how are these functions labled in Acid and Sonar or other DAWs?

Has been ages since i used Acid in any form ;)
Think it was Ctrl + U or something and was probably simply called “resampling“

Have to look it up in Sonar, where it's probably something like “bounce selection to new clip“ or something

Credentials sometimes can be useful, especially on the Internet, for all I know...you may only be able to play a one string ukelele and for all you know I may be totally tone deaf.
Yeah, right away I know where this is leading, and it's not pretty. .
Not pretty in your eyes maybe...others may see different!
Yeah right away you're off track, I tend to learn key commands fairly quickly, since to me they're quicker than buttons/icons. I like that Reaper is completely customizable. I don't like that certain things are not, that it's not very well though out, out of the box. See, I would like to see Reaper with a huge user base, I'm not thinking about myself with my criticisms.
Me "right of the track"?? That quote you jumped on to quickly and eagerly criticize was actually quoted wrong.
I did not say anything about key commands being quicker than icons...I said assigning those actions to Icons.
A completely different point, go an reread it before you jump to conclusions.
So its a moot point, read before you respond.
As far as liking or not liking everything about Reaper...I agree with that, there are things that annoy me about it, but it still gets the job done, so I put up with the annoyances.
This is a lot of self aggrandizing and assumptions, mostly bad.
Now your initial resume makes sense, for all the wrong reasons.
I merely said we don't know what anyone's background is on a forum, and added that others opinions obviously differ from mine...all good.
However you decided to read something else into it because maybe you need to justify your views by insulting and trying to put down others, BTW thats a different way to "Self Aggrandize" to minimize, judge and then insult others so you look good.
So all I can say is.... I am truly honored to be in the presence of such a great seer with such insight and power of judgement, and I am very happy to be corrected by you your honor!
Admittedly some of it has gone away in 6, it sets up instrument tracks initially to work without having to check off a list of things etc. CC editing is big to me, it was a PITA on my desktop compared to other DAWs.
Agreed
Not all complaints are invalid because they aren't your complaints.
I never said that, you are assuming that....and the same applies to you BTW.
and your resume doesn't change that, that's the curmudgeon syndrome I mentioned.
Wow...you are sooo wonderful and superior, and sooo humble too...I must surely listen so I can learn from you and become just like you.
Chastise and insult others on a forum or wherever and likely you will get a similar response back, but obviously your mother never taught you that.
Seriously you are being a judgemental and insulting idiot with a superiority complex who doesn't even read a comment properly before responding, judging and insulting.
So for your own sake...go and talk a cold shower and take your dog for a walk and mellow out.
Jeez

deleted
Last edited by replicant X on Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Each DAW has a different sound.

the new theme is a little hard to see
the good thing in Reaper is you can change everything, if you know photoshop
this took me an hour

electronic115 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:29 pm the new theme is a little hard to see
this took me an hour
That looks great! :tu:
The inner workings of vurts mind are a force to be reckoned with.
music is a need in my life...yes I could survive without it but tbh I dont know how
myfeebleeffort
https://paulroach2.bandcamp.com/
https://hearthis.at/83hdtrvm/

jethrobull wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:33 pm
electronic115 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 2:29 pm the new theme is a little hard to see
this took me an hour
That looks great! :tu:
That looks great???
Sorry, I don´t want to hurt somebody but do you have any problems with your eyes...
It couldn´t be more ugly for me... :o

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”