Patterns generator vst for Atlas

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi, I hope this is the right place to ask as I am looking for a pattern generator which can randomly generator patterns and midi out to Atlas. As you may know that Atlas has no sequencer at the moment but XO got a very good randomize which can generate patterns for drums. I first thought of Geist but it has a very good pattern/song mode but doesn't have any random capability. Really appreciate if you guys can share your thoughts on this topic.

P.S I have riffer but it though it can randomly generate patterns but not in poly-mode

Thanks!
Cowby

Maybe mention which DAW you're using?

12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

My DAW is Live 10 and Cubase 10.5. I wish Geist can have a randomize button for generating patterns.

Geist 2 doesn't have a random pattern generator but each pad step can have a probability parameter. Easiest way to do this is with a drag edit. Set a probability less than 100 on a step, suggest around 25%. Then drag it across the pad lane to fill the entire lane. Do this for every pad you want randomized hits on. Set probability to 100% if you always want a hit on a step. You can do this for every pad, then save the pattern. You can then load the pattern whenever you want it.

Also, don't forget, Geist 2 has step patterns. Right-click on a pad, Choose Insert, and there are graphical step representations. They are all very reasonable for percussion.

With that said, get XO on sale this Black Friday, it's totally worth it if you want random beat sequencing. It's not entirely random, there are just many well-thought out presets specific to percussion types and the combinations are near limitless. The workflow is tuned to quick beat generation. It's ridiculously fun and you can always revert to the original state. And since it comes with the similarity database functionality, you can get different flavors just by swapping a few samples out while auditioning with your pattern. Personally I think it's better than Atlas right now.

One other thing I'm doing. Exporting the patterns as MIDI from XO then importing them into Geist 2. Then I can also bring the generated kit into Geist 2 for more intricate processing, round-robins/multisamples, etc.. With the pattern I can create more variability every time it loops since Geist 2's sequencing is really good at manipulation. So you leverage the strength of XO's search and generation and level up what it produces with Geist 2.

I use Microtonic midi to sequence Atlas

I thought I remembered seeing some hinting that they were working on an internal sequencer for Atlas. Hopefully that happens soon...
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

yellowmix wrote: Sun Nov 24, 2019 5:26 am Geist 2 doesn't have a random pattern generator but each pad step can have a probability parameter. Easiest way to do this is with a drag edit. Set a probability less than 100 on a step, suggest around 25%. Then drag it across the pad lane to fill the entire lane. Do this for every pad you want randomized hits on. Set probability to 100% if you always want a hit on a step. You can do this for every pad, then save the pattern. You can then load the pattern whenever you want it.

Also, don't forget, Geist 2 has step patterns. Right-click on a pad, Choose Insert, and there are graphical step representations. They are all very reasonable for percussion.

With that said, get XO on sale this Black Friday, it's totally worth it if you want random beat sequencing. It's not entirely random, there are just many well-thought out presets specific to percussion types and the combinations are near limitless. The workflow is tuned to quick beat generation. It's ridiculously fun and you can always revert to the original state. And since it comes with the similarity database functionality, you can get different flavors just by swapping a few samples out while auditioning with your pattern. Personally I think it's better than Atlas right now.

One other thing I'm doing. Exporting the patterns as MIDI from XO then importing them into Geist 2. Then I can also bring the generated kit into Geist 2 for more intricate processing, round-robins/multisamples, etc.. With the pattern I can create more variability every time it loops since Geist 2's sequencing is really good at manipulation. So you leverage the strength of XO's search and generation and level up what it produces with Geist 2.
Thanks for your suggestion. I am still demoing XO but sadly speaking, it has only A-B patterns which is very limited and not like Geist can combine patterns into a "Song". And for Atlas, I know they are cooking up the sequencer and more features are coming but if they build a sequencer from ground up and have the features like XO (though XO sequencer still have lot of things to add) then it will be a big project to them consider they are a new company. No one knows if their new sequencer will look like ....

P.S I also hope VPS Phalanx 2.0 has a built in seq :pray:

Maybe RPE is something for you: https://hy-plugins.com/product/hy-rpewin-mac/

Hi

I’m looking for something similar, but also trying to hold off until I see the sequencer that they’re meant to be adding to Atlas in early 2020.

Audiomodern released Playbeat recently (same developer as Riffer). I was looking at this as an option to use with Atlas....it might be what you’re looking for?

https://audiomodern.com/shop/plugins/playbeat/

greenmind72 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:09 am Hi

I’m looking for something similar, but also trying to hold off until I see the sequencer that they’re meant to be adding to Atlas in early 2020.

Audiomodern released Playbeat recently (same developer as Riffer). I was looking at this as an option to use with Atlas....it might be what you’re looking for?

Or get Riffer, limit the scale to what corresponds to the Atlas pads, and randomize from there. That was my go-to approach until I got ahold of Harvest, which to me has the ideal workflow of randomize -> lock notes you like and re-randomize the rest -> iterate until you have what you're looking for...

Drum randomization it's something to take with care,Kick,snare and hats must to be a solid song background foundation,so it's better program and/or play with care with good timing,velocity and expression,different are top percussions,like congas,tablas,bells etc...some random feel can be applied.My 2 cents :wink:
12 years old PC running :Reaper;Reason;Dune;Zampler;Kontakr;Reaktor;and many others countless vst :D

greenmind72 wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:09 am Hi

I should add, with Playbeat, you can generate sequences, pitch, and volume independently.

reusenoise wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:52 am Drum randomization it's something to take with care,Kick,snare and hats must to be a solid song background foundation,so it's better program and/or play with care with good timing,velocity and expression,different are top percussions,like congas,tablas,bells etc...some random feel can be applied.My 2 cents :wink:
Although there is software that can introduce non-random variations to existing patterns. I agree that random rarely gives good results with drums, but algorithms that preserve an underlying beat can be very useful in giving life to vanilla patterns.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”