FL Studio vs Bitwig

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I ended up buying Bitwig instead of FL, even though I know everything about FL, couldn't resist the temptation that Bitwig presents. No it does not have the piano roll features that FL has, FL still generally offers more control over the instrument, and the grid or note length settings in FL make it easier to program hi hats and all drums better than Bitwig. Outside from that, Bitwig definitely has some unique ways to create musi with many note fx as well as easy modulation setup on everything. I have been studying Bitwig relentlessly to the point that I am becoming more and more familiar with it. There so many things in the DAW to try that I haven't even gotten to yet. The Grid in Bitwig for example is a beast that I have not even taclked yet, but I plan to build some crazy effects with it. FL studio has the patcher which is just like the GRid, but the Grid I think is more livelier on the eyes in my opinion, and patcher is a little harder to configure then the Grid imo. I still think FL is the most musical making professional daw out there, but I think bitwig is the new way of doing things, that will resonate as more and more people flock to it, and as more and more features are added, and bugs fixed, and that is why i will stick it out. As more and more updates come, bitwig will definitely close the gap with other pro level daws ahead of it because of some of the basics stuff. Overall I love Bitwig, i haven't been this excited about a program like this in a very long time.
DoomTune.com

Welcome to the Bitwig Club :tu:

Its not perfect (what is!) but no other DAW is developing faster and with such originality, its a fun ride, hold on!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

ubailey wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pm and the grid or note length settings in FL make it easier to program hi hats and all drums better than Bitwig.
In new 3.1 beta you can draw a note pattern with addition of Alt and drag, it draws whatever note value you have set for the piano roll grid, you can than use key command on your keyboard to change the grid/note size.

@Passing Bye. I was just looking for this yesterday. Thank u
DoomTune.com

Sure, than for ease of use, use drum editor instead of piano one, especially if you are working with Drum Machine and numerous elements in it.

Welcome to the club! :party:

ubailey wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pm ... FL studio has the patcher which is just like the GRid, but the Grid I think is more livelier on the eyes in my opinion, and patcher is a little harder to configure then the Grid imo. ...
Just note that the Grid isn´t anything like Patcher respectively otherway round...

The Grid is a modular synth/FX where you build up everything from the ground yourself...
Great for itself with high flexibility but with the downside you cannot load other plugins into it!!!

While this is the part of Patcher...
Patcher isn´t a modular synth/fx but a modular plugin chainer!!
It´s more comparable to the different types or racks in Bitwig while with it´s modularity you´ve got easier routing options...

dirtysnow wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:35 am I bought BW on the cusp of 3.0.3 and have been using it ever since, albeit not exclusively. What I don't love about the 'year of free upgrades' is that it is very unlikely that things like bugfixes and 'missing' functionality will get backported.

Bugfixes without question should be merged in to every applicable version, reason being this is what you claimed your software could do and it couldn't. When I say 'missing' functionality I don't mean things like groove pool, comping etc that are obviously not implemented, I mean things like device support. While I am a huge fan of the extension engine the state of device support is downright embarrassing for a DAW that is on its third (3) major release version. Moss' efforts are heroic but even with the DrivenByMoss extension I can't, for instance, use a Beatstep the same way in both Bitwig and Ableton. I can't use a MidiMix without editing code, and even then there are issues.

I think device support should be a major priority and I don't believe upgrade purchases should be necessary for users to get it. Grid? Yep. Comping and groove pool? Sure -- more than fair game as upgrade bait. I'm just not convinced the basics are getting enough attention, and I'm not convinced that BW itself is in a state where it can be requiring paid upgrades for bugfixes, device support, etc.
I 100% agree with this. It's one of my biggest gripes with Bitwig's pricing and the development of the software. They concentrate on Grid etc but should also be concentrating on making hardware support better even if they have to write the scripts themselves (which they should be doing anyway imo) instead of relying on one man (DrivenbyMoss). I appreciate what he's doing but the onus shouldn't be on him to fix Bitwig's problem.
Studio One // Bitwig // Logic Pro X // Ableton 11 // Reason 11 // FLStudio // MPC // Force // Maschine

Have fun ubailey

It's usable vs. unusable for me. I've had FL since forever and it's not advanced as a viable DAW. Bitwig is very desirable, with the only exception being dom and his bullshit. Good program, crap customer service............

FL is better for composing, BWS is better for everything else ... so I start building songs in FL and finishing them in BWS, they have different strength and weakness so complements and reinforces each other nicely

macroing things are still quite PITA in FL
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Qw8ygwiOwo
for ex.
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

ubailey wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:47 pmFL studio has the patcher which is just like the GRid, but the Grid I think is more livelier on the eyes in my opinion, and patcher is a little harder to configure then the Grid imo.
Happy to welcome you here, but wanted to correct the above ^^^

Patcher is NOT like the Grid at all. In fact all that the Patcher is, is what you can do in Bitwig's device bar using all the splitters, layers and selectors. Grid is more like Reaktor Blocks, Voltage Modular, Softube Modular, VCV Rack, etc. without 3rd party modules but with a much tighter integration with host.

EDIT: Sorry, only now I see @Trancit pointed the above out :)
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

The Grid is the 'Red Pill' :)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

apoclypse wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:34 pm
dirtysnow wrote: Thu Nov 21, 2019 2:35 am I bought BW on the cusp of 3.0.3 and have been using it ever since, albeit not exclusively. What I don't love about the 'year of free upgrades' is that it is very unlikely that things like bugfixes and 'missing' functionality will get backported.

Bugfixes without question should be merged in to every applicable version, reason being this is what you claimed your software could do and it couldn't. When I say 'missing' functionality I don't mean things like groove pool, comping etc that are obviously not implemented, I mean things like device support. While I am a huge fan of the extension engine the state of device support is downright embarrassing for a DAW that is on its third (3) major release version. Moss' efforts are heroic but even with the DrivenByMoss extension I can't, for instance, use a Beatstep the same way in both Bitwig and Ableton. I can't use a MidiMix without editing code, and even then there are issues.

I think device support should be a major priority and I don't believe upgrade purchases should be necessary for users to get it. Grid? Yep. Comping and groove pool? Sure -- more than fair game as upgrade bait. I'm just not convinced the basics are getting enough attention, and I'm not convinced that BW itself is in a state where it can be requiring paid upgrades for bugfixes, device support, etc.
I 100% agree with this. It's one of my biggest gripes with Bitwig's pricing and the development of the software. They concentrate on Grid etc but should also be concentrating on making hardware support better even if they have to write the scripts themselves (which they should be doing anyway imo) instead of relying on one man (DrivenbyMoss). I appreciate what he's doing but the onus shouldn't be on him to fix Bitwig's problem.
You have to consider the fact that Bitwig came out in spring 2014.
Imo it's unbelievable what the (only 4) devs have achieved till now.
Ymmv...

stamp wrote: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:18 am
apoclypse wrote: Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:34 pm

You have to consider the fact that Bitwig came out in spring 2014.
Imo it's unbelievable what the (only 4) devs have achieved till now.
Ymmv...
That's true, but company was founded in 2009 and it was probably developed since then.
Still, good DAW, no doubt, but yet missing some basic features, unfortunately.

SLiC wrote: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:31 pm The Grid is the 'Red Pill' :)
Interesting, because I thought I'll be crazy about it but frankly after playing with it few hours when it came out in the Beta I largely left it out from my workflow.

Probably it's because it takes me waaaaaayyy too much time to finish anything anyway and if I started fiddling with cables I'd not finish anything ever? I mean it's good to have it for quick jobs that'd otherwise take lots of work with standard devices, but otherwise I prefer to use a 3rd party VST. Having said that, I see how it can be a revelation for those on Linux and/or those that prefer to stay 'native' for various reasons (e.g. performance).
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”