If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

samsam wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:20 pmNobody forces me to buy anything and you and other Win users are not smarter than me.
Of course I am smarter than you - I can get any kind of work done on any of the computers I own. I don't have any lines of demarcation that I am unable to cross, beyond the fact that my hexa-core laptop can handle a lot more than my Atom powered tablet.
In my team at work, 6 of them chose Mac, 2 chose WIn, who gives a flying f**k?
I dunno, maybe your bosses who want you to get work done. I reckon I could do all my work in a 4 day week on PC, compared to how much I get done in a typical 5 day week on the MacPro I use at work, despite the MacPro having cost 5 times more and being far more powerful on paper.
And also unlike you and Fernando, Finder doesn't crash on me hehe
Then you probably don't have your machines on much of a network. Everything that's mission-critical at the TV station I work at runs on Windows - all the live studio gear, everything that has to work first time, every time. Mercifully, when we move to a new location next year, all our MacPros will finally be replaced with PC workstations. Some in the department will be dragged kicking and screaming but that will fade once they realise how much better off they are with computers that actually do the job they were bought for.
masterhiggins wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:48 pmI know you probably spend most of your time living in a fantasy world, but here on earth things don’t work that way.
Actually, I just read the original post and responded in kind. Again, how stupid would you have to be to a) think it is even a remote possibility and b) fail to see what the benefits would be if it were to happen? You are so blinded by your blind loyalty that you can't even have a hypothetical discussion so you resort to a personal attack. Pathetic. Typical, but pathetic.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

No, I gave the team the choice, they chose. We don't drag people, we allow them to make decisions. Worked out well so far.

When your company drops Macs you'll be able to leave the Mac threads alone....

But you're right about my own home Mac, just a machine that's part of a tiny home network.

I wonder if DAW developers knew about these revelations... that it could raise questions and even that of their position on moral grounds in developing products on the Apple platform... it's pretty damning. Taken from this angle, and yes it's still somewhat a hypothetical possibility, it is nevertheless quite a potent reminder of history for two key companies of the major DAWs within a certain country we know, that would actually terminate further development because of the nature of what Apple have been part of... given the events that were happening 80 years ago in Europe...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism ... bor_abuses
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:12 pm I meant as a valid alternative to a Mac, as the thread suggested.
Fair enough I suppose. I think is silly to expect another OS to be an "alternative" when it goes under different methods of development and progress. Still quite a few things wrong you said on your part but hey, your experience, your sayings. As I said, don't want to get into a discussion about this.

CasualHobbyist wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:55 pmSo a series of touchscreen devices is "better" and a "valid alternative" over some "DIY computer" with an OS that can never be worked seriously because is "too buggy, too fiddly and way too little software"?

There are more than quite a few wrong misconceptions and statements here.
Yes, and to think I almost let you get away with them. What on Earth do "a series of touchscreen devices" have to do with the discussion at hand? How is that descriptor relevant in any way whatsoever?
Can't say I haven't seen posts like yours all over the internet (including: "Linux cannot be taken seriously", "I would rather die than using Linux" and my favorite: "Linux is not a real alternative, is not even a real OS")
Which is to say that plenty of people agree with this sentiment. Maybe they have a point?
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:30 pm I actually dual boot with Linux Mint 19 and Windows 7.
Why? I used to do that and it drove me nuts. It was when I was trying to move everything across to Linux but there were just too many holes that couldn't' be plugged, so I always needed to keep a Windows partition around. Eventually I got sick of waiting for Linux to get better and stopped bothering with it.
samsam wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 1:18 amNo, I gave the team the choice, they chose. We don't drag people, we allow them to make decisions. Worked out well so far.
So you just let people screw themselves and their productivity? Doesn't seem like a clever way to run a business to me.
When your company drops Macs you'll be able to leave the Mac threads alone....
Why? My 22 years of experience won't suddenly become invalid and people will, no doubt, continue to be full of shit about the platform.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Why? My 22 years of experience won't suddenly become invalid and people will, no doubt, continue to be full of shit about the platform.
:clap:

:dog:

THE INTRANCER wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 3:48 am I wonder if DAW developers knew about these revelations... that it could raise questions and even that of their position on moral grounds in developing products on the Apple platform... it's pretty damning. Taken from this angle, and yes it's still somewhat a hypothetical possibility, it is nevertheless quite a potent reminder of history for two key companies of the major DAWs within a certain country we know, that would actually terminate further development because of the nature of what Apple have been part of... given the events that were happening 80 years ago in Europe...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism ... bor_abuses
From an article in 'The Economist', about Foxconn:

Conditions at the firm are actually not that bad compared with many others, says Boy Lüthje of the Institute of Social Research in Frankfurt. It pays new hires in Shenzhen the minimum wage of 900 yuan ($130) a month. Food and lodging are free, as are extensive recreational facilities. But workers routinely put in overtime in excess of the 36 hours a month permitted under Chinese law, says Mr Lüthje. Annual turnover is 30-40%, but a constant stream of young migrant workers replaces those who move on.

In response to the suicides, the company is said to have surrounded buildings with nets, hired counsellors, brought in Buddhist monks to pray and toyed with asking employees to sign a “no suicide” pledge.

I bet you are writing here while wearing clothes that were produced in conditions that are far worse. There are also likely many other products in your home that are, at least in part, borne of exploitation and abuse. And, statistically speaking, your diet is also going to be the product of disgusting exploitation and abuse.

I'm not singling you out as bad. But looking for scapegoats in big corporations such as Apple is just a diversion, and removes that element of personal responsibility.

We are voting for the world we want to see, everytime we open our wallets. So, maybe think about your part in that while asking for others to boycott.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 am
THE INTRANCER wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 7:30 pm I actually dual boot with Linux Mint 19 and Windows 7.
Why? I used to do that and it drove me nuts. It was when I was trying to move everything across to Linux but there were just too many holes that couldn't' be plugged, so I always needed to keep a Windows partition around. Eventually I got sick of waiting for Linux to get better and stopped bothering with it.
Primarily, it's a backup OS should anything happen to my main operating system, in addition to being an operating system that will allow my system to access all my system RAM. (Win 7 64 Bit Home Edition doesn't)...Still not exceeded 16 gigs yet for anything I've done, (I have 20 gigs installed), so provides that bit extra if I can make use of it with the 3D apps I use. It's on a separate hard drive...I originally got the drive to install Windows 10 on it..which I may still do ( although actually hating it for a multitude of reasons ), but held off and left Linux on it as an alternative system of options.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

I remember when everyone thought Windows 10 was gonna make you get everything through the Windows Store ..... So now OSX CrapOlina is going this route and also killing 32bit ... Ubuntu tried killing off 64bit and it lasted a week or two , then got scratched ... I hope CrapOlina hurts Sales big time . Devs are fixing to be hit hard on the Mac side ..... They really pulled a number with CrapOlina ... I just recently updated my MacBook Pro to Mojave a couple of weeks ago , I won't dare touch this release ..... Apple was like Windows 10 updates 1903 hold my beer I got this ....

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 am Why? My 22 years of experience won't suddenly become invalid and people will, no doubt, continue to be full of shit about the platform.
Obviously I was laughing when I wrote that, we'd have to drag you kicking and screaming from sharing your your valuable Mac experience. The community is thankful no doubt. It's a gas.

BONES wrote: Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:16 am
CasualHobbyist wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:55 pmSo a series of touchscreen devices is "better" and a "valid alternative" over some "DIY computer" with an OS that can never be worked seriously because is "too buggy, too fiddly and way too little software"?

There are more than quite a few wrong misconceptions and statements here.
Yes, and to think I almost let you get away with them. What on Earth do "a series of touchscreen devices" have to do with the discussion at hand? How is that descriptor relevant in any way whatsoever?
Can't say I haven't seen posts like yours all over the internet (including: "Linux cannot be taken seriously", "I would rather die than using Linux" and my favorite: "Linux is not a real alternative, is not even a real OS")
Which is to say that plenty of people agree with this sentiment. Maybe they have a point?
For the first point, the other user brought up touchscreen Windows devices. I have no idea how they are or how relevant to this discussion they are either, he seemed to be kind of rambling so I'll leave it at that, any further discussion, attempt that at him. Hopefully you mean that the misconceptions or wrong statements weren't due to my part. (I am confused about your wording here, hopefully isn't anything big)

Second quote. Well, I have seen plenty of those quotes of people who tried Linux for 5 minutes and just gave up. Not giving it a real chance or serious study, I wouldn't honestly call what the majority say "points" because what they add aren't points of helpful knowledge, they reek of pure and unadulterated ignorance, as simple as that (with frustration due to lack of patience or understanding for the platform). Look, is all right if Linux is not for everyone, is all right if you want to dedicate your other OS to do stuff, but many people come with a wrong mentality over it and just end up being frustrated in the end.

But as I said plenty of times, I want to leave it as that. I do not want confrontations or heated debates about OSes. I truly believe that people should use what fits their best use-case or workflow. Their computers, their rules. A tool that you can opt to use or replace with something else, as simple as that. (OS wars are about as useful and insightful as DAW wars)

The best tool is the one you're most comfortable with or you have the most dedicated resources. That's all from me (seriously, I don't mind being quoted and answering, but I don't want to go into circles about a single point already discussed, hopefully, don't take this in bad light though)

I have just read a whole bunch of Windows versus Linux articles.

The main advantage punted was that Linux is free.

Trouble with that idea is that I cannot recall the last time I paid for a new Windows version. It has just kept updating since Windows 7, or maybe 8 ? Microsoft now make a lot of their money by collecting data in the same way that google does.

So the main advantage of Linux should be that it does not collect data. Privacy.

Is this fact or a myth ?

i would praise them for the brave move.
linux is a much better OS, but it has very few users compared to the popular mac.
it wouldnt be a wise business move, but it would be a wise move for the benefit of their product.

It's not so much about any perceived 'advantage' Linux is supposed to have, as deluded as that notion is, more to the point are the real and hugely limiting 'disadvantages' that Linux comes with. It's a pipe dream that will never come to true. I got caught up in the 'Linux ideal' for a few years, but the cake is a lie. Give me Windows any day.

They may say that Winblows . . . but LinSux
Say NO to CLAP!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”