If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hanz Meyzer wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:30 am I quite often I have the impression that the new generation of coding lost a bit the ability to optimise and being creative, doing something really new. Also due a hell of abstraction layers, it might lead in the same result, only with a potency of more cpu usage, plus much more bugs.
Hahah, yes. :D

I still have - parallely - my old system on windows XP and all the old plugins of 2002. And
everytime I start this old system I am surprised, because almost everything can be done
with this ancient environment also. Even big complex projects are no problem. :o

I think Apple and Microsoft are strongly pushed to become "young" and "hip" and so they
convulsively adapted new smartphone design and "young elements". And so their focus
is not on their creative and long loyal customers, instead they want to be "young" and "fresh".

I am still waiting for the turning of the wind so that pure functions and backwards-
compatibiltiy becomes important again. But maybe this "turning of the wind" will never
happen and we will have to convert to Linux.
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

fmr wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:25 am
samsam wrote: Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:00 am 30 years of experience (and counting!) yet Finder still crashes for you. Joder tio.
It doesn't "still crash". The weirdness started with the latest iMac I bought. And it isn't a "crash"... but anyway... Are you somehow implying that's my fault? :roll: It's documented on the Net, you know?

BTW: I wish that was the only problem I have with my Macs. :hihi:
Nah, I'm not questioning your experience or your experiences.. Just don't understand why you would post so much on the same theme. But it's none of my business ultimately, I realise that.

"I think Apple and Microsoft are strongly pushed to become "young" and "hip""

Marketers have learned that it's easier to sell to hormonal, inexperienced humans than those who've learned to sort through the BS. So when money is the primary goal, that's what you're going to get. Not to mention a particular 20th/21st century obsession with having to do something new, rather than do something better.

But it's a complex deal with lots of factors in play. I think one of these days, someone will put a brilliant desktop interface on Linux and it will turn people's heads. With so much common work done online these days, the OS is making less and less difference anyway. Where I once used Word exclusively, I now use an online content management system and TinyMCE which I can access from any OS or device. This obviously isn't practical for music or other hardware taxing pursuits yet, but still....

Why would a decent window manager suddenly make Linux better? I just can't see it. What will make Linux better is more support for it from developers, particularly big names like Adobe, Autodesk and, in our sphere, Steinberg and Native Instruments. It's not good enough to say "oh, but there are equivalents available on Linux" because no-one is ever going to give me a job because I can use GIMP and Blender 3D, no matter how good they are as replacements for Photoshop and 3DS Max.

That's why Linux is stuck where it's been for the last 20 years or more - the change needs to happen at the big end of town and those guys see more threat from Linux than potential, which means it will never happen.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Open Source is in a fantastic spot, and has been for a very long time. While many of us have wanted Linux to take off mainstream in a variety of flavors, namely desktop gaming (since most of you aren't aware that gaming more than anything has been the push in the past toward pleb adoption), its instead taken hold like a boss and most of its users have no idea they use it like a 2bit drug addict every day - Android accounts for over 80% of the mobile market.

I like Linux and its derivatives where it's at just fine. It's a super powerhouse from enterprise to mobile and keeps proprietary companies somewhat in check. It doesn't need mass adoption on the desktop, open source is already mass adopted in many arenas, primarily the ones that count.
Have you tried Vital?

Yeah, that was a sunny prognosis, more of a daydream really, but if something good enough came along... Window manager? I haven't heard that in a while.

"Window managers" is what they are, how else would you refer to them?
Psuper wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 amOpen Source is in a fantastic spot, and has been for a very long time.
I used to think that but, over time, have come to the opposite belief. I have seen so many promising projects, some in which I had invested my own time and effort, fall over through lack of interest. It would be interesting to know how many new applications ever reach version 1.0. I can think of so many that never get much past 0.5. I can't remember the names of most of them but here is an example, my favourite Linux window manager was at v0.6 about 20 years ago and still hasn't made it to 1.0 - http://www.windowmaker.org
I like Linux and its derivatives where it's at just fine. It's a super powerhouse from enterprise to mobile and keeps proprietary companies somewhat in check.
Are you insane? Android empowers Google to rape billions of people for their data so they can sell advertising. It is thoroughly evil, worse than pretty much anything else I can think of, and that is pretty much thanks to Linux.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:32 am "Window managers" is what they are, how else would you refer to them?
Psuper wrote: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 amOpen Source is in a fantastic spot, and has been for a very long time.
I used to think that but, over time, have come to the opposite belief. I have seen so many promising projects, some in which I had invested my own time and effort, fall over through lack of interest. It would be interesting to know how many new applications ever reach version 1.0. I can think of so many that never get much past 0.5. I can't remember the names of most of them but here is an example, my favourite Linux window manager was at v0.6 about 20 years ago and still hasn't made it to 1.0 - http://www.windowmaker.org
For any major paid app, there's a comparable open source one, usually several alternatives -- some are superior, some suck, but the option and availability is all that matters. Besides, I like the fact that there's people who pay dearly for and staunchly defend [insert company here] and their garbage like MS Office, for a variety of satisfying personal reasons.
I like Linux and its derivatives where it's at just fine. It's a super powerhouse from enterprise to mobile and keeps proprietary companies somewhat in check.
Are you insane? Android empowers Google to rape billions of people for their data so they can sell advertising. It is thoroughly evil, worse than pretty much anything else I can think of, and that is pretty much thanks to Linux.
We both agree that Google is shit, unfortunately the ignorant don't care what anyone does with their data, nor spend even a few minutes figuring out how to protect it on the many platforms it requires. Hell ddg is the only search worth using, but most everyone just plows along with google, doesn't have any sort of script blocker for them or analytics. Point is, responsibility falls to the user, and users are dumb.

However Android has nothing to do with deciding what kind of asshole runs a company, or what kind of bullshit that company decides to pull. But if Android became self-aware and wrote its own code to farm your data, THAT would be considered insane...
Have you tried Vital?

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”