If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

masterhiggins wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:39 amA large chunk of most cross-platform plugin customers are Mac users (I remember Cytomic saying that it was about 1/2). If synapse dropped support for Mac, they simply wouldn’t use them. Or do you think they’d switch their entire setups to Windows because of a plugin? Sure they’d have more time to focus on Windows but they’d also lose a big portion of customers.
Are you seriously this stupid? It was an example, one I know about because I'm beta-tester for Synapse. Clearly very few people would switch platforms because of one small developer but if every developer said "screw this, we're sticking to one platform and that's it", and they all chose the same one, it would force people's hands. We'd all be better off because devs could spend all their time making their products better, not chasing down weird bugs on one of several supported platforms.
samsam wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 am Of course, if it ultimately became impossible to use Mac for music making I'd look elsewhere. Apart from some hard-core losers, who really gives a f**k about what computer they're using.
You're making a pretty big assumption about what motivates people. There are many, many things about our computers that we all definitely give a f**k about. For me there are things like price/performance ratio, support for all the software I want to use and lots of USB ports. I also appreciate being able to choose from dozens of different vendors, each with something unique to offer, rather than being forced to buy from just one who shows little regard for the needs of its customers.
fedexnman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:08 amLinux would be a great platform if the audio interface makers and software devs would just all throw in the towel with Windows and Mac . Heck a DAW maker could roll there own Distro .
But that will never happen so it just doesn't matter. That said, Linux is a PITA most of the time. It's OK if you have a very standard set-up but if you have anything remotely exotic or uncommon, forget it.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 pm
You're making a pretty big assumption about what motivates people. There are many, many things about our computers that we all definitely give a f**k about. For me there are things like price/performance ratio, support for all the software I want to use and lots of USB ports. I also appreciate being able to choose from dozens of different vendors, each with something unique to offer, rather than being forced to buy from just one who shows little regard for the needs of its customers.
Of course I give a f**k about reliability, performance, software, specifications etc. just as much as any sane person would (can't believe I described myself as 'sane' there).

But I don't ultimately care, relative to so many Winusers on kvr it seems, what platform that happens to be on or which platform others use (of course, with the proviso that they're not in my face about it, as happens here).

I'm the opposite of you - at the moment I make music on my Mac and do whatever work stuff I need to do on a PC 'cos I choose to use both platforms for these tasks but to be honest, both platforms would also be fine for the alternate task. I have a slight preference for Mac OS over Win but that's as far as my sectarianism for corporations goes. Nobody forces me to buy anything and you and other Win users are not smarter than me.

In my team at work, 6 of them chose Mac, 2 chose WIn, who gives a flying f**k? After placing the orders for the machines I don't think anyone ever bothered to mention the platform/maker ever again.

And also unlike you and Fernando, Finder doesn't crash on me hehe

I can't see any of the major DAW or Plugin developers leaving the Mac. However it must be very expensive and time consuming for smaller developers to keep updating their plugins every time a new update comes out for macOS. Windows is much more stable in that regard, as Microsoft has always focused on backwards compatibility. While updates might cause some problems for certain users, it's very rare for an update to break compatibility with such a large amount of software.
Also, the idea that every program you run on your Mac has to be signed and approved by Daddy Apple really sounds terribly Orwellian.

^ Tim Cook literally signs them by hand using babies' blood and an old quill pen, it's f**king trippy to watch I can tell you. And he only signs the ones he 'likes'.

Well I love Linux and can't stand Mac, but also prefer competition, so neutral.
Have you tried Vital?

As long as they'd keep Windows support, I wouldn't pay it any mind. I never intend to use a Mac system for anything anyway, especially with the questionable decisions Apple has been making lately that only reinforces my refusal to support them.

If only Steve Jobs was still alive... That company went downhill fast after he died.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

"What's MacOS?"

"Ah, I see, you're too young to remember. It was a kind of brainfart Operating System thingy in the past. Tried to make everything simple, failed, made everything dumb instead. Went the way of the dodo long ago but left a broad trail of dumb 'apps' behind. You may have seen some of them..."

"What was the name of that company again?"

" 'Apple'. No idea who came up with that one. Pretty silly if you ask me... Got a bit too uppity and forgot about the user, broke stuff all the time, 'enhanced' security to the point where you couldn't do anything with it. Like I said, weirdos. Lost their 'messiah' guy who somehow got everybodies brains in knots about nothing and then lost it completely."

"Amazing"

"Well... "
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi
ScreenDream Instagram Mastodon

Doesn't Apple make great progress against software piracy with macOS Catalina?
Good news also for DAW developers. :)

Well Apple and eMagic did the reverse of that to me and other Windows based Logic users back in 2002 and I was very pissed. I still carry a resentment towards Apple to this day.

If they had stayed cross-platform, I would likely have a much different attitude toward the company. I might have even become part of the Apple ecosystem and be a loyal customer. Very short-sighted bs.
Cap'n Spanky
From the Planet Screwball

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 12:02 pm Are you seriously this stupid? It was an example, one I know about because I'm beta-tester for Synapse. Clearly very few people would switch platforms because of one small developer but if every developer said "screw this, we're sticking to one platform and that's it", and they all chose the same one, it would force people's hands. We'd all be better off because devs could spend all their time making their products better, not chasing down weird bugs on one of several supported platforms.
Here’s the thing. In a free market economy that will never happen, because some smart devs would eventually dig right into that niche and corner the market. I know you probably spend most of your time living in a fantasy world, but here on earth things don’t work that way.

They’d certainly be more successful than someone with an avatar resembling Maynard James Keenan with a thyroid problem and an extra chromosome.

chk071 wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 10:25 am
samsam wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 am Of course, if it ultimately became impossible to use Mac for music making I'd look elsewhere. Apart from some hard-core losers, who really gives a f**k about what computer they're using.
I could never work seriously with Linux, for example. Too buggy, too fiddly, and way too little software.
I would never recommend a Linux computer to someone who used a Mac... rather something like the Microsoft Surface. THAT is a valid alternative, not some DIY computer, and shit a Linux on it.
So a series of touchscreen devices is "better" and a "valid alternative" over some "DIY computer" with an OS that can never be worked seriously because is "too buggy, too fiddly and way too little software"?

There are more than quite a few wrong misconceptions and statements here. But so long as it remains a personal opinion and experience I think is all right. Can't say I haven't seen posts like yours all over the internet (including: "Linux cannot be taken seriously", "I would rather die than using Linux" and my favorite: "Linux is not a real alternative, is not even a real OS")

Well I'll be off. I said I didn't wanted to get too much into this thread just because.

I meant as a valid alternative to a Mac, as the thread suggested.

id go on a spree of thievery, stealing garden gnomes and other garden paraphernalia, just to ease the stress.

Cap'n Spanky wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:41 pm Well Apple and eMagic did the reverse of that to me and other Windows based Logic users back in 2002 and I was very pissed. I still carry a resentment towards Apple to this day.

If they had stayed cross-platform, I would likely have a much different attitude toward the company. I might have even become part of the Apple ecosystem and be a loyal customer. Very short-sighted bs.
I was using Magic Music Studio Generation 6 which was essentially a clone of Logic minus a few instruments and effects back in late 2000, not long after I had first bought my first Windows 98 based PC system, an AMD Athlon 750. (speed ref in Mhz). I was planning on adding Logic as a future upgrade, then Reason came along so interest was diverted. After departing from Reason in 2014 and going to Studio One, it really felt like I was going back in time to the days of the Logic I once knew.

As for the subject of the opening topic, my reaction would be that of welcoming that move if the criteria of plugins were able to be handled in the same way as they were on Windows without requiring recompiled versions to be made. A sandbox environment so to speak...

I use to work alongside a Mac obsessed guy when working in a video production studio and I of course was required to use one of those big silver aluminium radiators for video editing and effects with Apple Motion. When it came to scoring music for the films we created, I chose to do that on a Windows desktop or laptop.. My sister uses a MacBook, but I think she got one because of the novelty factor of not having one before than for any real practical reason. She's got plenty of money and runs a business so it's no big deal either way. If she wanted a particular DAW and it wasn't available on a Mac, she would probably just buy a PC / PC laptop for it or get me to create something for her.

As for DAW developers, I'm surprised that none have even adopted a distro themselves on the Linux Platform. I actually dual boot with Linux Mint 19 and Windows 7.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

ThomasHelzle wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 3:00 pm "What's MacOS?"

"Ah, I see, you're too young to remember. It was a kind of brainfart Operating System thingy in the past.»
True. Since 2016 the Apple computer hardware OS has been known as macOS. So technically OS X is already a thing of the past (except those users who have refused to update since then).
My Soundcloud Too many pieces of music finish far too long after the end. - Stravinsky

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”