If The Major DAW Developers Said They Were Dropping Support For Mac OS...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is “because Apple is evil” the answer you are looking for?

Well , it might end up going that way anyway ..... I truly think Microsoft's next OS will have the Linux Kernel underneath . Similar to what Android has done . Funny thing is the OS will have to be free or licensed for free . Isn't Android licensed to developers for free ?

....Logic Pro (and minor DAW developers) would suddenly have thousands of new users and the rate of free Logic updates would probably increase! Cross your fingers..,.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

fedexnman wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 1:41 am Well , it might end up going that way anyway ..... I truly think Microsoft's next OS will have the Linux Kernel underneath . Similar to what Android has done.
OSX has been using the Unix kernel for many years now..

I'd ask OP to design a non-functional pretend GUI for his/her pretend solution.

There is a lot of commercial software now available for Linux . Mixbuss , Bitwig , Waveform/Tracktion , Renoise , and Reaper . U-he as well . The soundcard and audio interface hunt can have some dissatisfaction though .

They will begin to support iOS :tu:

I'd laugh at all the idiots who paid way over the odds for their underperforming computers. I don't know why anyone would need to bother with Linux, though, it's never going to achieve any level of mainstream acceptance, let alone popularity.

There would be a lot of benefits for developers and users if everyone focused on a single platform. I see how much time the Synapse devs spend fixing macOS problems, compared to the comparatively little time they spend attending to Windows problems. Just making Retina-compatible UI graphics seems to have been a nightmare for them so I can see how much more time they'd have if they only had to worry about Windows development.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:00 amJust making Retina-compatible UI graphics seems to have been a nightmare for them so I can see how much more time they'd have if they only had to worry about Windows development.
A large chunk of most cross-platform plugin customers are Mac users (I remember Cytomic saying that it was about 1/2). If synapse dropped support for Mac, they simply wouldn’t use them. Or do you think they’d switch their entire setups to Windows because of a plugin? Sure they’d have more time to focus on Windows but they’d also lose a big portion of customers.

Plenty of devs get quite snippy about offering Mac support as witnessed in a reenet thread here. As a Mac user at the moment I'd prefer they just stop and leave it to those without a hangup about the platform. Make life much easier for all.

Synapse stops Mac support as bones wants? Oh well, at least he could then stop shitting on Mac users on their forum (comment based on their forum a few years ago when I was considering buying)

Of course, if it ultimately became impossible to use Mac for music making I'd look elsewhere. Apart from some hard-core losers, who really gives a f**k about what computer they're using.

So I guess it's 50/50 now Mac vs PC ..... I think the latest OSX crapOlina has got everybody a mess right now .... Hey the Windows 10 updates are always breaking crap as well , I think latest 1903 or whatever they call it has messed with the audio side too ... Linux would be a great platform if the audio interface makers and software devs would just all throw in the towel with Windows and Mac . Heck a DAW maker could roll there own Distro .

samsam wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 5:08 am Of course, if it ultimately became impossible to use Mac for music making I'd look elsewhere. Apart from some hard-core losers, who really gives a f**k about what computer they're using.
I do care. Because i choose the computer and OS which fits me. I could never work seriously with Linux, for example. Too buggy, too fiddly, and way too little software. I could work with Macs, but, i don't like their business policy, which forces me to buy new expensive computers every 5 or 6 years, to stay up to date, or to only buy Apple hardware, which is compatible with it, one bit. So, yeah, there is no alternative, and i do care about that. If i had no demand, and couldn't give a damn about anything, i probably would do with the other 2, but, that's not a option.

Anyway, the OP is pretty ridiculous. Nobody with half a brain would suggest something like that. Especially not for former Mac users. It's not only the computer hardware, it's the driver situation, it's the software situation, it's... everthing really. I would never recommend a Linux computer to someone who used a Mac... rather something like the Microsoft Surface. THAT is a valid alternative, not some DIY computer, and shit a Linux on it.

BONES wrote: Fri Oct 11, 2019 4:00 am I don't know why anyone would need to bother with Linux, though, it's never going to achieve any level of mainstream acceptance, let alone popularity.
This x inf + 1
Say NO to CLAP!

THE INTRANCER wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 7:20 pm ...And Said They Would Be Switching To Linux As An Alternative....

What would your reaction be :?:
Linux is not currently ready for that, difficult to have vst support of serious DAW other than Reaper or Bitwig.
I love linux, I write this post on Linux mint, but let's face it and be pragmatic, Linux and jack is currently not enough userfriendly.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”