Does the output from A Mono Sub Buss into a Stereo Comp Buss remain mono?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick question...

Setting up a session within Cubase 5

I have a Mono Group Channel (as a sub buss/group) for kicks and snares.
I have a Stereo Group Channel (as a sub buss/group) for Hats and other percussion.

Both of these then go into another Stereo Group Channel (as master drum buss/group).

Will the mono signal remain mono coming out of the master drum group?

I am doing this way so the Kick, Snare & Hi-Hat remain dead center but other things like the Cym Crashes and percussion can be treated with FX (like widening) then feeding them both into a master group for a touch of final compression and polishing.

I have no problem just having the Mono & Stereo groups if putting mono into stereo does not work but hey, if you do not ask you will not learn :wink:

Mono is turned into two identical mono channels when sent to a stereo bus. Keep in mind that the master output of your DAW is actually a stereo bus in itself, so you're already effectively sending any mono channels to a stereo bus. If the master bus were mono, you'd only hear the sound from one speaker :)

The actual audio signal will remain "mono" (no difference between the left and right channel), while the pan pot determines how much of the mono signal is sent into the left vs right channel of the stereo bus (which can either be an aux stereo bus or the master bus).

AdvancedFollower wrote: Thu Oct 10, 2019 11:40 am Mono is turned into two identical mono channels when sent to a stereo bus. Keep in mind that the master output of your DAW is actually a stereo bus in itself, so you're already effectively sending any mono channels to a stereo bus. If the master bus were mono, you'd only hear the sound from one speaker :)

The actual audio signal will remain "mono" (no difference between the left and right channel), while the pan pot determines how much of the mono signal is sent into the left vs right channel of the stereo bus (which can either be an aux stereo bus or the master bus).
Brilliant, many thanks :)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”