Ableton is everywhere...

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

dupont wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:17 am
chk071 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:08 am
X86 wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:08 am
tooneba wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:34 am The easiest and most idiot-proof DAW. It is born to be popular.
This, and it's probably the sexiest DAW as well.

No surprise it's the daddy of DAWs.
Ew... if that's your definition of "sexy". ;)
perhaps because 70 % of live video tutorials ar done by pretty women ?
Can't be the GUI, hehe. Although i find it decent. But, sexy is a different thing IMO.

dupont wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 11:05 am
HitEmTrue wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 10:02 pm
dupont wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 am You can do crazy think on Ableton that are technically impressive but who care if the musical result is poor.
I saw a video from an Ableton certified trainier who explained how to cut an audio loop, spread this loop in several tracks, apply different audio effects and audio gate for each track.
What a mess, who would use that in his song ?
I didn’t see the video you are talking about...but wasn’t he just demonstrating HOW to do certain things? Those techniques are used all the time, on songs heard on a radio near you. It’s up to the producer to put the technique into musical context.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCoWqJtt3fg
lol its awful :cry:

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 pm
Enrize wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:05 pm Wait...Ableton Live? Is that a DAW with a broken PDC?
I think they fixed it didn't they?

Well, kind of fixed it, but not totally?

It's always hard to get a straight answer when it comes to things like PDC. In any DAW.

Did they ever fix it in FLStudio?

Then again, when it comes to some things, you can't beat the laws of physics.
No, compared to Logic or Bitwig Studio for example, PDC in Ableton is still broken.

codec_spurt wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:33 pm
Hopefully I'll be able to knock it up in Live 10 Lite (all I have on this machine at the moment).

Simple and inspiring stuff. :tu:
Drum Rack and Gate are both included in Lite, so yes you will be able to recreate this :)

I agree that it's a very cool technique, great for choppy sound design heavy electronic music. I like to create multiple copies of leadlines in my psytrance tracks, each with different FX and then splice/como them back together until a single track. Being able to jam them in on the fly or randomly/generatively using follow actions or Live's arppegiator, is going to be a massive time saver and source of inspiration for sure.

"musical" is in the ear of the beholder, something many here don't seem to be able to grasp. If you like more traditionally composed music that's fair enough but a lot us like weirder, more experimental music (and the methods used to achieve said results), only difference is, we don't look down our noses at those who don't and try to claim our tastes as being objectively superior.
Always Read the Manual!

dupont wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:23 am You can do crazy think on Ableton that are technically impressive but who care if the musical result is poor.
I saw a video from an Ableton certified trainier who explained how to cut an audio loop, spread this loop in several tracks, apply different audio effects and audio gate for each track.
I didn’t see the video you are talking about...but wasn’t he just demonstrating HOW to do certain things? Those techniques are used all the time, on songs heard on a radio near you. It’s up to the producer to put the technique into musical context.

That's a great tutorial. I was worried it might be using some new-fangled stuff from Live 10, but nope, it's from 2017, so that'll be Live 9 then.

Ableton never ceases to amaze me. I still haven't updated to Live 10 yet because I still don't even use probably 5 percent of what I already have (in 9). You can go crazy experimental in Ableton, but I do just use it as a standard recording machine a lot of the time, and it's great for that as well.

I'll probably upgrade to Live 10 when Live 11 comes out. I'm usually one version behind on most of my DAWs.

I'm going to try and build a template along the lines of what he was doing there in that tutorial. Nothing complicated, but I doubt I would have come up with that idea by myself. No MAX, no fancy plugins, just good ol' curiosity and creativity. Hopefully I'll be able to knock it up in Live 10 Lite (all I have on this machine at the moment).

Yes, looks pretty simple to set up...and a useful technique.

All jokes aside the result sounds like 8 years old using acid first time.

HitEmTrue wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 pm

That's a great tutorial. I was worried it might be using some new-fangled stuff from Live 10, but nope, it's from 2017, so that'll be Live 9 then.

Ableton never ceases to amaze me. I still haven't updated to Live 10 yet because I still don't even use probably 5 percent of what I already have (in 9). You can go crazy experimental in Ableton, but I do just use it as a standard recording machine a lot of the time, and it's great for that as well.

I'll probably upgrade to Live 10 when Live 11 comes out. I'm usually one version behind on most of my DAWs.

I'm going to try and build a template along the lines of what he was doing there in that tutorial. Nothing complicated, but I doubt I would have come up with that idea by myself. No MAX, no fancy plugins, just good ol' curiosity and creativity. Hopefully I'll be able to knock it up in Live 10 Lite (all I have on this machine at the moment).

that's so easy to set up that you must pay curses to learn how to do it. Live is king of business.

dupont wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 7:07 pm
HitEmTrue wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:07 pm

that's so easy to set up that you must pay curses to learn how to do it. Live is king of business.
Not everyone even understands what the concept they need to learn is, let alone how to do it.

These courses can be useful for some.

Enrize wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:00 am
codec_spurt wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:39 pm
Enrize wrote: Sat Dec 07, 2019 12:05 pm Wait...Ableton Live? Is that a DAW with a broken PDC?
I think they fixed it didn't they?

Well, kind of fixed it, but not totally?

It's always hard to get a straight answer when it comes to things like PDC. In any DAW.

Did they ever fix it in FLStudio?

Then again, when it comes to some things, you can't beat the laws of physics.
No, compared to Logic or Bitwig Studio for example, PDC in Ableton is still broken.
How so? Can you be more specific?

Logic is no poster child for PDC, it doesn't handle plugins with thousands of samples of latency (like iZotope RX) properly at all, while the same plugins have no issues in Live. I got Live at 9.5 and know there was a lot of grumbling about PDC up until then.

Just search. A bunch of explanation there. It's well known behavior ableton users are taking care of when mixing.

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

codec_spurt wrote: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:39 pm
PieBerger wrote: Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:46 pm
Drum Rack and Gate are both included in Lite, so yes you will be able to recreate this :)
Gate isn't included in Lite unfortunately, but no big deal, I just downloaded my Live 9 - I was just being lazy.
:dog: I thought Intro and Lite were the same!
Always Read the Manual!

Last edited by codec_spurt on Sat Mar 07, 2020 5:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”