PSA for Mac Reason users: Hold off on updating to macOS 10.15 Catalina

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Reason Studios just announced (again):
Apple is just about to release macOS 10.15 Catalina. This new version of their operating system includes many great improvements, but can also affect Reason Studios products, technologies and other parts of your music-making system.

We are currently working hard to ensure compatibility with macOS Catalina. In the meantime, we recommend that you do not update to macOS 10.15 until we have made a full compatibility statement.

Please check this support article for the latest news on Reason Studios products and macOS Catalina.
https://help.reasonstudios.com/hc/en-us ... =macOsInfo
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

Not just Reason users. Everyone is advising their users to hold off on updating to Catalina.

I just got an email from Spitfire with the same message. To add to all the others.
Image Image Image Image

I'm not bothering with Catalina, period.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

apologies, this is only intended for the few and not mos people. There is a thread in ET about this too, I quoted the OP as he requested in stay on topic and not turn into a bashing thread....that does not mean this is the thread for that unwanted behavior
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Hink wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:25 pm apologies, this is only intended for the few and not mos people. There is a thread in ET about this too, I quoted the OP as he requested in stay on topic and not turn into a bashing thread....that does not mean this is the thread for that unwanted behavior
Um... wait... whut? :o
Win 10 | Ableton Live 11 Suite | Reason 12 | i7 3770 @ 3.5 Ghz | 16 GB RAM | RME Babyface Pro| Akai MPC Live II & Akai Force | Roland System 8 | Roland TR-8 with 7x7 Expansion | Roland TB-3 | Roland MX-1 | Dreadbox Typhon | Korg Minilogue XD

I"m getting emails from everyone and Avid is warning about attaching an iOS 13 device to older macOS builds. I haven't even bothered with Mojave, and won't if I don't have to, but what exactly has Apple done that's causing all the problems?

I really hope the fix doesn't involve all the DAWs becoming unusable on older versions of the OS. Man, I haven't seen a hubbub like this in a while.
Last edited by jonljacobi on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:07 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Note Sweetwater sent an email that takes you to a page that might have more info.

https://www.sweetwater.com/lists/lt.php ... QYBCVYFCgQ

Dear Pro Tools user,

As we continue to work towards full compatibility with Apple’s iOS 13, we wanted to alert you to an issue we’ve uncovered with iOS 13 devices connected to Mac computers running macOS Sierra (10.12) or macOS El Capitan (10.11). If you connect your iOS 13 device to your Mac running macOS Sierra or El Capitan, certain plugins may become deactivated. If you have upgraded your iPhone or iPad to iOS 13 and are running macOS Sierra or El Capitan on your Pro Tools computer, please be advised to not connect your iPhone or iPad to your Mac until we have resolved this issue. Alternatively, you may choose to upgrade your macOS to High Sierra (10.13) or later to avoid the issue.

Thank you for your patience as we are working closely with Apple to address this issue with urgency.

For the latest updates and information please visit the Avid Knowledge Base.

Thank you,
The Pro Tools Team

jonljacobi wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:04 pm Note Sweetwater sent an email that takes you to a page that might have more info.

I love Sweetwater, but that page is out of date. Some manufacturers are listed wrong, and statements they've made aren't on there.

Hink wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:25 pm apologies, this is only intended for the few and not mos people. There is a thread in ET about this too, I quoted the OP as he requested in stay on topic and not turn into a bashing thread....that does not mean this is the thread for that unwanted behavior
Why discriminate against mos people? They have as much right as the few.

Grum.

EnochLight wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:22 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:04 pm Note Sweetwater sent an email that takes you to a page that might have more info.

I love Sweetwater, but that page is out of date. Some manufacturers are listed wrong, and statements they've made aren't on there.
It makes the basic point.

Another article about DAW's and macOS 10.15 Catalina upgrade:

Here’s why music producers shouldn’t upgrade to macOS X 10.15 Catalina
https://www.musicradar.com/news/heres-w ... 5-catalina

https://cdm.link/2019/09/macos-catalina ... t-to-know/

Don’t understand what all fuss is about. Running Logic X Pro, Cubase 10 Pro, Reason 11, Ableton Live 10 Suite, NI Komplete 12, Arturia and others on Catalina since 1st beta without any issues.

Atlatnesiti wrote: Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:46 am Don’t understand what all fuss is about. Running Logic X Pro, Cubase 10 Pro, Reason 11, Ableton Live 10 Suite, NI Komplete 12, Arturia and others on Catalina since 1st beta without any issues.
Logic I would expect to work, as it’s made by Apple. The rest is pretty anecdotal, though. Ableton point blank said Catalina breaks Live 9. Good you’re on Live 10, though.

I’ve tried Reason 10.4 on latest Catalina beta, along with three REs and everything seemed fine.
It’s really not that hard to try and at least say “it runs but is unsupported until further tests are conducted” - but all we always get From devs is “sorry, we are lazy, just wait till we bother to check it”.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”