Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Reason 12

Reason's rack as VST/AU, new rack devices, workflow improvements!!! :o

https://www.propellerheads.com/en/reason/new

https://youtu.be/tMh3ZEFyEmo

https://youtu.be/UPYbkUc205k
Last edited by antic604 on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

oh man finally high resolu- oh...

edit: Anyway, some immediate thoughts about this

-Glad they added note mute. That was well needed. Curved automation also, obviously. Still, not a whole lot of improvements to sequencer workflow. Weak.
-Suite tier: Makes sense business wise, I guess. At least considering the backlog of paid rack extensions they've created over the years.
-Disappointed that they've taken the SSL modules and turned them into rack effects instead of creating newer, more flexible versions of the MClass series.
Last edited by loungepanda on Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Rack as plug-in was my ONE wish to move forward with the propellerheads.

I think it’s the best decision and I wish them loads of happy customers.
..off to play with my music toys - library music production.
http://www.FiveMinuteHippo.com

antic604 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:56 am Reason's rack as VST/AU
Well, that's a big one... nice. :tu:

Seems like a nice update and a logical step in terms of keeping the business going and attracting new customers. I'm certain that there are many other users like myself who enjoy the devices and rack paradigm but absolutely HATE the sequencer. Now we can use all those fun devices and REs inside whatever DAW we like - seems like a good move to me. There are a handful of great REs that I really look forward to using within Bitwig or Ableton Live. I'll happily pay $129 to access a huge catalogue of new synths and FX inside my DAW.

Interesting! 8)

Do you guys think this means Reason can be used as insert/send fx rack in your DAW?

Btw strange that Reason doesn't support VST3, but the Reason rack is VST3 only.
Is Reason Rack Plugin available as a VST2 plugin?

No, Reason Rack Plugin is VST3 only and there are no plans to develop a VST2 version.
What plugin formats does Reason 11 support?

Reason 11 supports VST2 64-bit plugins and Rack Extensions.

Still no high resolution graphics? :D

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 am Interesting! 8)

Do you guys think this means Reason can be used as insert/send fx rack in your DAW?
Good question. Without knowing, i'd assume that it works both as a VST instrument, and VST effect. Like VSTi's which you can add as fx to use their fx section.

Edit: at 0.25 in the second video in the OP, you actually see that it can load as a VSTi and VST. So, like i said. :)

Lotuz2019 wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:36 am Interesting! 8)

Btw strange that Reason doesn't support VST3, but the Reason rack is VST3 only.
Steinberg is not supporting VST2 development anymore and is pushing everyone over to VST3. I would think that Propellerhead still has access to the VST2 dev kit since they did produce the Europa VST2 plugin.

yes
yes
YES
Y E S
Y E E E E E S S S
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

medienhexer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:09 am Rack as plug-in was my ONE wish to move forward with the propellerheads.

I think it’s the best decision and I wish them loads of happy customers.
It makes sense for them since the Rewire approach never had much traction. I thought that this is where they would be heading next. Makes sense, especially since FL Studio pioneered the DAW as a VST concept a long time ago.

Yeah, much better than Rewire.

Hope it can also be used in the demo version. Curious to check it out.

Reason as a VST is exactly what I was hoping for, instant upgrade -- Congrats props that's the right move. Very excited!
Have you tried Vital?

Always loved the rack concept.. and as a 80's lover and a hard rocker and a metal head, how can you not love racks? :D
but I always felt more comfortable inside Cubase and Logic.
For me its an instant purchase!

If they still haven't addressed the tiny, non-scalable UI then I won't upgrade. I'm tired of paying for version after version and them never adding it. I have glaucoma and cataracts which are getting worse and I really can't deal with Reason's UI the way it is. The workarounds are magnifier or changing screen resolution, neither of which are ideal.

As for other things, I wish they would offer each user a customized upgrade price for suite considering that I, like many users have already bought the best of those REs that are what distinguish the new Suite version from "normal" version. Either that or dramatically drop the individual prices of the REs so we can buy the ones we lack.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”