Poly aftertouch in unsupported daws.

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I know some DAWs support poly aftertouch and some don't(studio one sucks for this) but what happens to that data if it isn't supported during recording? Will the daw record channel aftertouch in its place or will nothing record at all?
I ask because I'm thinking of picking up an old EPS or other poly aftertouch supporting keyboard and want to know how useful it will be as a midi controller, though I'd use the sampling as well. My DAW at the moment is Studio One which I am beginning to regret. Lol.
Cheers guys.

Live also filters out poly pressure and does not support MPE. I waited until 10 was announced and when poly pressure and MPE were not mentioned, I sold my Live license and for the same money, bought a used Bitwig license and lived happily ever after.
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

yeah that's by far the most ghetto thing about Live.

So nobody knows what actually happens, whether channel aftertouch is recorded in place of poly aftertouch? I just want to know if nothing will be recorded at all when applying poly aftertouch.

Straight2Vinyl wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:29 am So nobody knows what actually happens, whether channel aftertouch is recorded in place of poly aftertouch? I just want to know if nothing will be recorded at all when applying poly aftertouch.
It may depend on the DAW. IIRC Live just discards the PolyAT data.

on the launchpad pro you can set aftertouch to channel, poly or off, in Live when set to poly it's the same as off.
gotta select channel to get anything.

Ok, so if Live just discards it entirely then the others without poly aftertouch may handle it the same way. At least i know then. I'll hold off on getting anything with poly aftertouch until i have a daw to take advantage of it. Cheers guys.

Fun fact: Push generates poly AT messages. Why remains a mystery.

There is at least a kludge for MPE in Live and a script floating about to support it: have a group of MIDI channels to respond to the different streams. I think some people have done similar workarounds for poly AT using Max.

Gamma-UT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 am Fun fact: Push generates poly AT messages. Why remains a mystery.

There is at least a kludge for MPE in Live and a script floating about to support it: have a group of MIDI channels to respond to the different streams. I think some people have done similar workarounds for poly AT using Max.
it is for note repeat... just like on the maschine controllers..

it is strange that it is not used within live... you have simply aftertouch...
as midi controller, it generates poly AT message (i think). the maschine MK3 does it, great for the CS 80 V.. (but in maschine software aftertouch isn't implemented...)

WasteLand wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 8:23 am
Gamma-UT wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 7:21 am Fun fact: Push generates poly AT messages. Why remains a mystery.

it is for note repeat... just like on the maschine controllers..

it is strange that it is not used within live... you have simply aftertouch...
as midi controller, it generates poly AT message (i think). the maschine MK3 does it, great for the CS 80 V.. (but in maschine software aftertouch isn't implemented...)
The Presonus Atom, designed for integration with Studio One, also supports poly aftertouch. I think it may actually record it as Presonus' product video with Sonic State specifically mentions that it's poly at. If it does support it from the Atom, then that's just some bullshit where they appear to have the functionality and are restricting it. I'm not a programmer, but can it really be such a big jump to go from supporting the same function in one device to all devices?

if you can live without the master channel´s features of MPE, polyphonic expression is basically everywhere possible by rotating voices around channels. a simple midi plug-in, a simple hardware effect or a simple piece of custom code can do this for you - i am doing it since 20 years and you dont need to have the midi association first create MPE for you at all. :)

of course in most VST/AU enviroments you are limited to plug-ins which have more than 1 midi channel, because receiving different notes on different plug-ins will end up in a too complicated setup.

p.s.: most interesting is it, btw, to do it the other way round and create polyphonic expression style controller data on your computer and send it to hardware synths to get the shit out of them like you never heard before.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”