DAW's Mentioned Before Other's

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

vurt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:10 pm https://youtu.be/0-oVr9Sb7v8
I had completely forgotten that Alan Partridge used to present Good Morning Britain

cryophonik wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:19 pm Back to the original question...

I guess I run with a totally different crowd because nobody ever talks about Reason, Cubase and PT are often discussed, and DP gets mentioned far more often than FLS or Reason. :shrug:

Oh, and Reaper sucks. That gets discussed many^many times. :box: :-P
All studios here run Pro Tools. I have friends that run Reason, Reaper, Cubase and Logic, but Ableton Live is the most commonly mentioned DAW. Tech industry types seem to love Live. :shrug:

I'm not sure I'm following. PT IS the industry standard despite what anyone says. It's not the most popular on KVR :lol:

Then you get into sub genres, and others start to make more sense for "hip hop" or "edm" or whatever but in professional studios, PT is far ahead of the pack.

No doubt in the big studios PT is the “industry standard”, (in big studios.) Kinda like how MicroSloth is the industry standard OS. As far as actual popularity amongst the rest of the DAW world PT is a bit of a dinosaur. The big studios got locked in when they were actual innovators, years ago. One of the reasons that PT became a leader was the separate hi end propriety hardware. The only people i know that use it at home are those who use it at work, and even some of them are starting to switch. Then there’s Ableton who also were innovators and are huge in the electronic(a) scene. DP is the quiet but reliable (also early) DAW with a quiet but reliable user base. Cubase and Logic are the midi DAWs from an early age but were associated with old home computers, now they are used by many. . FL Studio is quite more popular than it seems, it’s geared towards certain styles and has a niche. Reason was also an innovator that became quite popular as a beginning DAW for a lot of users. Nuendo is actually the “industry standard” of post production. Reaper and Studio one came along later and each have a small but growing base. Reaper is like a swiss army knife of DAWs, not for the “i just wanna plug it in and it works” crowd although at this point it kinda does that, but Studio One is the choice for that. Then along comes Bitwig, another milestone innovator with a small but growing base. I almost left out Samplitude, a heavy hitter quality wise that almost became an “industry standard” in pro studios way back when.
Anyway, the question of who’s talking about what DAWs is like (on a smaller scale) of whose talking about what cars. Those looking for high performance different conversation to those looking for efficiency, different than those who need a pickup truck.
They’re all tools with a following and if you hang out in certain circles you will hear more about certain ones. My big studio friends talk about PT (and Ableton more and more), my friends who make EDM talk about FL studio and more so Ableton Live, my friends who track instruments out of the box talk increasingly Studio One and Reaper, my friends who do orchestration or complex midi programming talk Cubase, Apple owners talk logic, etc. I realize that my whole comment is just heresay, perhaps i’m completely out of the loop.
gadgets an gizmos..make noise https://soundcloud.com/crystalawareness Restocked: 3/24
old stuff http://ww.dancingbearaudioresearch.com/
if this post is edited -it was for punctuation, grammar, or to make it coherent (or make me seem coherent).

I've checked this thread several times, and I've yet to notice anyone mention Tracktion (or Waveform). That's the DAW I use. I'm not sure why it doesn't get mentioned more.
I'm involved with photography & audio. For more info, take a look at my site:
GlenVision.com

chk071 wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:34 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:53 pm Could someone please kill the apostrophes in the thread title? It’s giving me convulsions.
What about the capitals? :P
Title case is fine. The misuse of the apostrophes is not fine.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

DAW's Mentioned Before Other's

If they are talking about engineering, mixing and mastering you will hear Protools, Reaper, Cubase, Logic and Studio One mentioned a lot.

If they are talking about sound design you will hear all about Bitwig and Reason.

If they are talking about live performance you will hear about Ableton Live and Bitwig.

If they are talking about musicians, singers and songwriters you will hear Studio One, Cubase and Logic.

If they are talking about beatmaking and bedroom EDM you will hear all about Fruityloops.

Cubase, Sonar, Pro Tools etc are more old school. New school and what's in the "now" is Logic (mac), FL Studio, Studio One 4, Ableton, and Bitwig.

Forgotten wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 11:20 pm
vurt wrote: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:10 pm https://youtu.be/0-oVr9Sb7v8
I had completely forgotten that Alan Partridge used to present Good Morning Britain
:hihi: :hihi:

McLilith wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm I've checked this thread several times, and I've yet to notice anyone mention Tracktion (or Waveform). That's the DAW I use. I'm not sure why it doesn't get mentioned more.
Yeah, Waveform is pretty great. It's become a real monster with unique and sick features. 8)

zentatonic wrote: Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:46 pm
McLilith wrote: Fri Aug 16, 2019 4:21 pm I've checked this thread several times, and I've yet to notice anyone mention Tracktion (or Waveform). That's the DAW I use. I'm not sure why it doesn't get mentioned more.
Yeah, Waveform is pretty great. It's become a real monster with unique and sick features. 8)
It crashes quite often for a fairly large base of people. If it doesn't for you, killer. It's a great feature set.

beatmangler443 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 am When you talk with someone about music creation in regards to songwriting and production (I'm not talking about scoring films/doing video work) why is it that these daw's are mentioned/recommended first before the one's at the bottom:
-- Reason
-- Fl Studio
-- Ableton

But then you never really hear these brought up (compared to above)-
-- Cubase (for the more advanced I think)
-- Digital Performer
-- Reaper
-- Samplitude
-- Sonar
-- Pro Tools (more technical side)
What DAWs are mentioned depends on your "peer-group".
Your "peer-group" is that subset of persons you personally
meet in your everyday life. It is that simple!

----------------------- Let me explain -----------------------

1. If your peer-group consists of young, knee-jerk and
spontaneous people then they will talk about those DAWs
you specified at first:

-- Fl Studio
-- Ableton
-- Bitwig

In this case your peer-group is not very experienced in
producing music, but might be very ambitious and adventurous.

2. If your peer-group consists of experienced very old fellows
then they will recommend:

-- Digital Performer
-- Samplitude
-- Logic X

3. If your peer-group consists of professional producers only
then they will only and exclusively talk about:

-- Pro Tools

4. And at last: If your peer-group consists of nerdy computer
freaks who leave their room very seldom, then they will know only:

-- Reaper

:lol:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

enroe wrote: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:37 pm
beatmangler443 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 am When you talk with someone about music creation in regards to songwriting and production (I'm not talking about scoring films/doing video work) why is it that these daw's are mentioned/recommended first before the one's at the bottom:
-- Reason
-- Fl Studio
-- Ableton

But then you never really hear these brought up (compared to above)-
-- Digital Performer
-- Reaper
-- Samplitude
-- Sonar
-- Pro Tools (more technical side)
What DAWs are mentioned depends on your "peer-group".
Your "peer-group" is that subset of persons you personally
meet in your everyday life. It is that simple!

----------------------- Let me explain -----------------------

1. If your peer-group consists of young, knee-jerk and
spontaneous people then they will talk about those DAWs
you specified at first:

-- Fl Studio
-- Ableton
-- Bitwig

In this case your peer-group is not very experienced in
producing music, but might be very ambitious and adventurous.

2. If your peer-group consists of experienced very old fellows
then they will recommend:

-- Digital Performer
-- Samplitude
-- Logic X

3. If your peer-group consists of professional producers only
then they will only and exclusively talk about:

-- Pro Tools

4. And at last: If your peer-group consists of nerdy computer
freaks who leave their room very seldom, then they will know only:

-- Reaper

:lol:
5. If your peer-group consists of people who like to mention their DAW as much as possible, even where it's completely irrelevant to the discussion, then they will post these on KVR:

-- Reaper
-- Bitwig

:lol: !!!
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”