DAW's Mentioned Before Other's

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

When you talk with someone about music creation in regards to songwriting and production (I'm not talking about scoring films/doing video work) why is it that these daw's are mentioned/recommended first before the one's at the bottom:
Reason
Fl Studio
Ableton
Bitwig
NI Komplete with Maschine/Komplete Kontrol
Studio One 4 (Now with the 3.0/4.0 features added for songwriters/music producers)
Logic X

But then you never really hear these brought up (compared to above)-
Cubase (for the more advanced I think)
Digital Performer
Reaper
Samplitude
Sonar
Pro Tools (more technical side)

I have such a blast with Ableton 10, "made this start up set where everything yust clicks, color coded and ready" Reason is also great, the synthesis is top. Bitwig from what I saw comes yam packed with good stuff. For me Reaper and Cubase got the yob done but I didnt stick around. Renoise does not have issues great sampler, but it's a tracker gotta love em.

For me the problem with Cubase was it had to hog my SSD C: drive. The reason was it runs better, so I uninstalled it.

beatmangler443 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 am But then you never really hear these brought up
It depends on who you talk to (and where).
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Well, it's dependent on the person. I like Reason for many, well, "reasons" and some don't care for it. It's taste and whatever thoughts you have. Very nebulous.............

¿ʇsᴉl ǝɥʇ uo ʇsɹᴉɟ slooʇ oɹd sᴉ ʎɥʍ

:ud:
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I think that list is not very accurate and reflects only your personal experience. Personally, I don't ever use a DAW to write a song. That occurs with an instrument that I use to translate what I hear in my head. No DAW features that I'm aware of come close to mimicking that feedback loop and its immediacy, or the personal satisfaction obtained from it.

I use the DAW to record it. For whatever reasons, I always end up back in Live because it is the quickest for what I do. It also behaves the best when using network storage so I can keep things centralized and work from different locations.

"'music creation in regards to songwriting and production" , "scoring films/doing video work".

With exception to video "which involves a particular set of skills", (to quote a Liam Neeson line), songwriting and production is no different to scoring for film, it's the same thing.

Daws are design for the target market in which the tool sets they have are made for, and there for marketed for, and it's from that in which people make recommendations on, and from that in which social circles are made which was happening long before the internet as we know it existed. The social circle aspect is the demographic, so if you ask a bunch of millennials about tools they know, they will likely really know those in which their friends are using and vie that of social media.

Cubase, Pro Tools , Digital Performer are like 10 - 15 years older than even that of Propellerheads Reason - Cubase - 1989 - Pro Tools - 1989 Digital Performer - 1985 -

An older demographic... but they weren't the only DAW's around at that time...just the ones that have stood the test of time...

Your question doesn't make a lot of sense, but that's what I think you're try to get at.
Last edited by THE INTRANCER on Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KVR S1-Thread | The Intrancersonic-Design Source > Program Resource | Studio One Resource | Music Gallery | 2D / 3D Sci-fi Art | GUI Projects | Animations | Photography | Film Docs | 80's Cartoons | Games | Music Hardware |

i didn't read the question...

...but try REAPER.
I don't know what to write here that won't be censored, as I can only speak in profanity.

Burillo wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:49 pm i didn't read the question...

...but try REAPER.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

I think you don't even have to look at features to see why DAWs are where they are. You can break it down by marketing and perception.

Pro Tools - was the only industry standard for years, and still is in bigger studios, it's got better access to huge dedicated control surfaces than anything else, and dedicated hardware, so no wonder there.

Cubase - Steinberg won the plug in format war by letting VST loose, and have been a constant early adopter of new features.

Logic- got bought by Apple and was bundled with all the previously paid plug ins. This ecosystem model has to include people believing that because Apple control AU, macs, and Logic that it's going to be flawless etc. Marketing wise hard to beat if you're into Apple at all.

Reason- was a first buzz DAW you could own along with another DAW, plus 1.0 was super CPU friendly, like ridiculously so. I used Reason fro years along with Logic on a 400mhz. G4. It was IMO also like FL Studio the first DAW to market itself towards tinkerer after work musicians as well as "pros".

Live- Mega buzz DAW again started off as a rewire or supplemental DAW, then completely went after the home electronic musician market. Their website actively promotes a loft apartment home studio urban ex DJ thing... This has worked out really well for them.

FL Studio- Just grand marketing in terms of that lifetime upgrade deal, plus the non musician being able to punch in a few beats approach. That and the non traditional DAW approach etc.

Digital Performer - Getting into the less talked about here. At one point it was being hailed as a Pro Tools killer (99 or so), but then OSX dropped, Apple bought Emagic, and MOTU took years longer than everyone else to get to OSX. IMO they never really recovered from that. IMO like Reaper it's interface is daunting, it has concepts and ways of doing things that make Reaper and Lives Session view Clips if you never used them seem easy. It's a great DAW, I use it all the time, but it's a victim of it's smaller market share equalling less development probably put into it than the others. Things happen like it's initial Windows release being buggy for a lot of people, or some features people take for granted coming from other Daw being missing etc. I'm not shocked, MOTU I think are really not that great at marketing a DAW.

Bitwig and Studio One I think both suffer a little from being thought of as versions of Live and Cubase. I know that's really not true, but developers from those companies did start BW and S1... and again lower marketing ability. I think if Bitwig slow and steady keep it up they could be a big player for sure, same with Studio One.

Reaper is Reaper, supremely powerful, extensible, as awkward as DP, even more so, and with a fervent cult like following.

More or less everyone is where I would expect them to be if you look at it from marketing and branding. I'm surprised any of them can withstand the Live, Pro Tools, Logic, Cubase hydra really.

beatmangler443 wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 3:45 am When you talk with someone about music creation in regards to songwriting and production(...)
Check this https://www.admiralbumblebee.com/DAW-Chart.html :clap:

https://youtu.be/5Qn5K3Wc92I

There's a time and space where DAW's are discussed but Reaper isn't even mentioned? WHERE??

stearine wrote: Mon Aug 12, 2019 7:31 am There's a time and space where DAW's are discussed but Reaper isn't even mentioned? WHERE??
in pro studios :wink:

Burillo wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:49 pm i didn't read the question...

...but try REAPER.

It's only natural that the most widely used DAWs get mentioned first. Also, in certain genres or for certain applications, some DAWs get mentioned before others. For example, on EDM production forums, people will tend to recommend FL or Ableton, where as e.g. Pro Tools is still much more popular in other circles.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”