What do you think of the DAW market right now and for 2020?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Maybe a modular DAW where you select the functions you want before starting a song so have a more streamlined less menu diving workflow and later the ability to activate the other parts if needed. For example I do not need score,comping,ara,vr, surround, audio alignment etc functions of Cubase on every song I do.

andypryce wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:08 pm Maybe a modular DAW where you select the functions you want before starting a song so have a more streamlined less menu diving workflow and later the ability to activate the other parts if needed. For example I do not need score,comping,ara,vr, surround, audio alignment etc functions of Cubase on every song I do.
Sounds like what Cakewalk calls Lenses.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... ses.1.html
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

robotmonkey wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 8:25 am I'm not satisfied until Reaper is the only DAW left.
A life without satisfaction . . . , not exactly something to look forward to.

Perhaps you will not live long and be spared a long unsatisfying life.
Say NO to CLAP!

whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:23 pm
andypryce wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:08 pm Maybe a modular DAW where you select the functions you want before starting a song so have a more streamlined less menu diving workflow and later the ability to activate the other parts if needed. For example I do not need score,comping,ara,vr, surround, audio alignment etc functions of Cubase on every song I do.
Sounds like what Cakewalk calls Lenses.

https://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation? ... ses.1.html
Did not know this. Seems a nice workflow alas PC only. :(

maybe Reason gonna get muting MIDI notes, who knows ?
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Hi

there is not (to my knowledge) any lightweight daw currently being developed - thinking Energy XT here.

Shame, as I think there is a demand for something compact, basic, simple and quick to use.

Maschine? Probably not actually lightweight but certainly not over-burdened with useless features, either.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I actually think of Live as being lightweight in that it doesn’t try to include everything thing but the kitchen sink or overload the interface.

Can't help but recoil when seeing the prices other DAW users have to pay for their updates compared to FL Studio, maybe someone else will offer the same and become as popular?

Microsoft were certainly rumoured to be starting something big a couple of years ago viewtopic.php?f=33&t=491164 hopefully something for the next Xbox that comes (also with a free lite version) bundled with Windows to get millions more people into music making, if it's not their AI doing it all?

Where next for DAW's, online multiplayer maybe? Multi-DAW multiplayer even? Services like gaming's OnLive where we stream from a quantum computer with synths that can do anything? Streaming from synths we can't afford like the Quantum?

MIDI 2.0 adopting audio and incorporating samples and stems? All instrument settings intelligently linked up so when switched between DAWs and different plugins they still just "know" say the reverb time/room size/type and amount for much quicker editing/remixing?

If iZotope get involved how much would machine learning take over, do we just whistle into their device and it remixes it to any style for us to sing along to and vocal resnythesis models replace us?
Nova II, FL20+Fire, Sytrus, Transistor Bass, DUNE 3, Thorn, Viper, ANA 2 SynthMaster, Discovery Pro, Reason, SugarBytes, SoundToys, LION, TRIAD, Plugin-Alliance, T-Racks, AmpliTube, MODO Drum/Bass, iZotope MPS 2.
One Day: FLEXXX, Alpha Forever, Diversion 2

jonljacobi wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:35 am I actually think of Live as being lightweight in that it doesn’t try to include everything thing but the kitchen sink or overload the interface.
I am trying to get into Live but just can't quite dig it. Its too much of a mind bender for me.

however, I can see why the appeal of it for live performing musicians. Its not just a DAW you use in a studio. the live performance mode is something you don't have in other more traditional DAWs that are meant for just recording in studio.

If the rumors that NI are working on a new DAW for Maschine/Traktor integration -- it might become a serious competitor to Abl Live. But I have a feeling those rumors are just hot air -- nothing will come of it. Its too crowded a market and NI are too busy making money from other stuff to waste resources making a DAW that will be a hard sell.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Logic is gonna be able to do 2000 tracks in 2020! :hihi:

I'm happy with Logic, haven't paid for an upgrade in 6 years, and Apple seems intent on using it to sell very expensive computers to run it.

Short of having my own recording studio straight out of the 70's, Logic is a mindblowing tool. After trying out Cubase in comparison, I am thinking of selling the Cubase.
“The American fascist would prefer not to use violence. His method is to poison the channels of public information.”
-Henry A. Wallace

whannel wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:29 am Can't help but recoil when seeing the prices other DAW users have to pay for their updates compared to FL Studio, maybe someone else will offer the same and become as popular?
IMO,

FL Studio's upgrades are more of incremental updates instead of whole number upgrades like other DAWs. FL Studio spends a lot of time with bug fixes, making it modern and that it can operate on Macs too. Other DAW companies spend most of their time and energy on improving and adding innovative features from user requests. But free is hard to beat unless it's a total time waster.

Thanks, SM.

I hope Reaper just continues to refine itself, which I think it will.

Bombadil wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:01 pm Logic is gonna be able to do 2000 tracks in 2020! :hihi:

I'm happy with Logic, haven't paid for an upgrade in 6 years, and Apple seems intent on using it to sell very expensive computers to run it.

Short of having my own recording studio straight out of the 70's, Logic is a mindblowing tool. After trying out Cubase in comparison, I am thinking of selling the Cubase.
I've used Cubasis and Cubase (and even the iOS version of Cubasis, which is just a buggy, poorly implemented POS), but never really got on with it as much as other DAWs. Logic has lots of bells and whistles under the hood, but it's pretty straightforward to use - I think it's a good balance of features and workflow.

I really think that if we do see a new DAW, it’s from Native Instruments. It would be a smart move, if they roll it out as part of a new hardware interface... are you listening NI?

“Rekord.”

:lol:
Zerocrossing Media

4th Law of Robotics: When turning evil, display a red indicator light. ~[ ●_● ]~

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”