Ableton Live Lite: any good?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:06 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:46 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:42 pm Still waiting for that typical Beatles electronic music track, my stubborn Sir.
prediction : no matter what's posted, you'll deny its 'typical' or 'electronic' or 'music' or a 'track', or all of the above.
Probably. And probably because it isn't electronic music at all.

except that it is :P
its recognised as such. that's just a fact.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 3:46 pm So...Ableton Live Lite...
Naw, it's about the Beatles now and how you should go make music instead of asking silly questions :hihi:

chk071 wrote:...and you, in your typical manner, argue as if the person you argue with is totally retarded, and that's actually the thing i take offense with.
Come on, you're just putting words into his mouth now - he didn't say or even imply any such thing.

Just get back to discussing the topic.

chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 2:42 pm Still waiting for that typical Beatles electronic music track, my stubborn Sir.

If you took your favorite EDM track and replaced the synths with physical instruments to produce the substance of the sound would it still be electronic music ?

In fact, could you, or would you, want to still make electronic music if you no longer had electronic synth instruments ?
Last edited by dellboy on Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

deleted

dellboy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 pm

If you took your favorite EDM track and replaced the synths with physical instruments to produce the substance of the sound would it still be electronic music ?
No, because it wouldn't be electronic music anymore, when you don't have electronic instruments, naturally. There are some examples of classic Trance tracks, which were played by symphonic orchestras. I wouldn't call those Trance, of course, because, even though it's the same melodies, maybe even synthesizer string sounds played by real strings, the essence of the music simply changed into something different. I could also play a Death Metal song on a acoustic guitar. I doubt anyone would sanely call that Death Metal.
dellboy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 pm In fact, could you, or would you, want to still make elctronic music if you no longer had electronic instruments ?
Nope.

chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:35 pm

No, because it wouldn't be electronic music anymore, when you don't have electronic instruments, naturally.
So you are admitting that EDM has zero substance worth continuing in the abscence of the availability of electricity ?

dellboy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:40 pm
chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:35 pm

No, because it wouldn't be electronic music anymore, when you don't have electronic instruments, naturally.
So you are admitting that EDM has zero substance worth continuing in the abscence of the availability of electricity ?
Ouf!

dellboy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:31 pm

In fact, could you, or would you, want to still make electronic music if you no longer had electronic synth instruments ?
edm is not the same thing as electronic music.
electronic music has a definition, of which, several beatles tracks fit in to.
whereas eg the majority of trance wouldn't :P
not that either is better, just definitions exist, and if we don't stick to them we are no better than barbarians :dog: or something.

toby marks did the big men cry album with mostly "real instruments" its very trancey.

conversely, cinematic orchestra use real world instruments to create what can only be described as electronic music. taking sometimes 50 plus takes of a line, then editing out the best, not just notes, but the attack of one note, the decay from another and so on, combining it to be one note placed in time for the perfect performance.

Anyone can make music with whatever the number of tracks available to them. Most rock and roll classics from the 50s were recorded on 1/4" reel to reel machines and additional tracks were added by using a second machine to make overdubs; most music during the early to mid 60s was recorded on a 4 track, sometimes with a second 4 track to bounce everything down for a total of 12 tracks then one for vocal overdubs.

Doesn't matter how many tracks you've got - that shouldn't stop anyone from making great music.

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm Anyone can make music with whatever the number of tracks available to them. Most rock and roll classics from the 50s were recorded on 1/4" reel to reel machines and additional tracks were added by using a second machine to make overdubs; most music during the early to mid 60s was recorded on a 4 track, sometimes with a second 4 track to bounce everything down for a total of 12 tracks then one for vocal overdubs.

Doesn't matter how many tracks you've got - that shouldn't stop anyone from making great music.
yup, that's what i said earlier.
you can do it if youre willing to put the work in, yeah more tracks is the easy way, but if you don't have that already, then even a 4 track tape is better than nothing if you want to make music!
it can even push you in different directions, doing overdubs. well maybe not the music, but the mix, because things are baked in once theyre done :)
can end up with something that sounds completely different than a hundred track mix 8)

vurt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:58 pm toby marks did the big men cry album with mostly "real instruments" its very trancey.

I am listening to Toby Marks "Banco de Gaia - Celestine"

Gorgeous.

Almost Pink Floyd.

dellboy wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:09 pm
vurt wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:58 pm toby marks did the big men cry album with mostly "real instruments" its very trancey.

I am listening to Toby Marks "Banco de Gaia - Celestine"

Gorgeous.

Almost Pink Floyd.
if you don't know their music? banco de gaia albums "maya" and "last train to lhasa" are phenomenal records :hail:
had the honour of seeing them/him live many times and even getting to meet him a few 8)

Forgotten wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:03 pm Anyone can make music with whatever the number of tracks available to them. Most rock and roll classics from the 50s were recorded on 1/4" reel to reel machines and additional tracks were added by using a second machine to make overdubs; most music during the early to mid 60s was recorded on a 4 track, sometimes with a second 4 track to bounce everything down for a total of 12 tracks then one for vocal overdubs.

But who cares? (not personally directed at you)

Tech is way past that now and some people are going to be limited with 8 tracks. Personally, I think it's quite generous and I'd rock it if I had a proper controller (nektar doesn't do ableton)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”