Ableton Live Lite: any good?

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

My new Focusrite interface comes with a license for Live Lite.

I'm a Cubase user and guitar player, and have been intrigued by Live's loop based approach ever since it entered the market. Now I'm wondering, should I install Lite and give it a go, or is it too restricted in functionality, just a teaser to get the 'real' deal?

cptgone wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:30 am My new Focusrite interface comes with a license for Live Lite.

I'm a Cubase user and guitar player, and have been intrigued by Live's loop based approach ever since it entered the market. Now I'm wondering, should I install Lite and give it a go, or is it too restricted in functionality, just a teaser to get the 'real' deal?
It's actually a great tool. Much more than a teaser. And if you already have another main DAW, you probably won't find it's limitations too limiting.

It comes with Simpler, which is a really great loop/slice/dice playback machine. Great workflow, and in version 10 they've now decided to include all of the stretch algorithms.

Nothing to lose but a few megs on your hard drive :tu:

If I remember correctly, it’s only 8 tracks and you are restricted to a small handful of Live’s plugins (no 3rd party plugs). It wasn’t available when I bought Live. I won’t knock it, but you’ll probably hit a wall pretty quick if you are planning on making a full song with it. At least that’s what I thought every time I saw the chart comparing different versions of Live.

W23 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:39 am If I remember correctly, it’s only 8 tracks and you are restricted to a small handful of Live’s plugins (no 3rd party plugs).
No 3rd party plugs? I'll pass then.

Thanks el-bo and W23, if I had suspected it was that bad I'd have googled the comparison sheet myself, instead of asking here.

W23 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:39 am If I remember correctly, it’s only 8 tracks and you are restricted to a small handful of Live’s plugins (no 3rd party plugs). It wasn’t available when I bought Live. I won’t knock it, but you’ll probably hit a wall pretty quick if you are planning on making a full song with it. At least that’s what I thought every time I saw the chart comparing different versions of Live.
No restrictions on 3rd-party plugs (Within the smaller track limit, of course), and most of the basics from Ableton Standard.

Aside from track count, Lite 10 is better spec'd than 'Intro 9', which was an $80 purchase.

As for hitting a wall: It's possible that you would do so if you were looking at it as a main DAW. However, even then it offers enough workflow goodies to produce good quality output e.g resampling, instrument/drum racks, simpler etc. It could even be seen as a bonus to have such limitations i.e to force a workflow that could yield very different results than a full-blown DAW with almost no limitations :shrug:

But also, as an adjunct to another DAW, you get to take advantage of the streamlined workflow, clip-launching etc. that can help with sketching and experimenting with ideas. These ideas could then be transferred to a much more open environment, for further development.

Also, to the op. Might be worth trying to score a copy of Bitwig 8-track (Normally sold here, cheaply). While it is a bit more restricted than Live Lite, it seems to be stealing a lot of die-hard Live users, as it seems to improve on certain aspects. So, if one would end up investing in a full-blown second DAW, it would be worth being sure which one was more suited :tu:

cptgone wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:43 am
W23 wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:39 am If I remember correctly, it’s only 8 tracks and you are restricted to a small handful of Live’s plugins (no 3rd party plugs).

Thanks el-bo and W23, if I had suspected it was that bad I'd have googled the comparison sheet myself, instead of asking here.
There are no restrictions on 3rd-party plugs :tu:

Wow, thanks el-bo, you raise many interesting points.

I'm gonna give Live a go after all (and yes, I've been eyeing Bitwig, but that isn't free... I'm rooting for them though, looks like an innovative work-in-progress).

cptgone wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 12:04 pm Wow, thanks el-bo, you raise many interesting points.

I'm gonna give Live a go after all (and yes, I've been eyeing Bitwig, but that isn't free... I'm rooting for them though, looks like an innovative work-in-progress).
Definitely worth checking out Youtube tutorials for certain elements like Simpler, Racks etc. as much of it will translate with no issue. This guy is one of the best:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWvaxzI ... doEjjyuQgI

Also, keep an eye open for BW 8-track on the buy/sell forum. I've regularly seen it go for under a tenner :tu: A worthwhile investment if you wanted to really immerse yourself in the workflow before possibly spending a lot of money :shrug:

Complete list of all Live Lite features:
https://www.ableton.com/en/products/live-lite/features/

I tried it a few times. Confused the hell out of me, and, i couldn't be arsed to learn it, so, i uninstalled it. I'm sure it's cool for the stuff it does, but, i already spend way too little time with the stuff i do understand to learn yet another tool.

Bitwig 8-track for $4, just in case :tu:

The 8 tracks are too limiting for real use for most. It’s a leader to upsell you. But so are all the others. And Live, while oddball in many ways, is very quick in actual use once you are acclimated to it.

I bought "standard" for 100,- Upon powerusing it this summer, It's pretty good. I mis some features like, MIDI LFO routing "without Max for Live". But all in all it supports 3 or 4 workflows simultaneuosly. I got it all organized from the start, so it boots up a skeleton for a completeable song. Also shows nice organization in the plugins department. Quite good :)
Organizer.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Skupje on Tue Aug 06, 2019 5:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

el-bo (formerly ebow) wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:54 am
cptgone wrote: Tue Aug 06, 2019 11:43 am

There are no restrictions on 3rd-party plugs :tu:
Yeah, my bad. I was thinking about Live 9 Intro ...the last time I looked, and they had a comparison chart. Focusrite has been giving away a ton of really good free software lately. I’ve been thinking about a new interface lately. I may have to look at getting a Clarett or something

But there IS a chart comparing them, so yes...I suppose we both could have googled the answer.

https://www.ableton.com/en/live/compare-editions/

I had a Saffire 6, but it's slapped together..It's a bad deciscion to have a DAC emit two loud 0dbfs pops to an active monitor arrangement on power up and down. Everytime it shuts down it's like BANG!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”