Bitwig Studio 3 gets 10 out of 10 from MusicTech Review

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Bitwig Studio 5

whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:16 pm
Reefius wrote:"It's of course much easier to shout 'troll' when you can't win an argument."
how ironic.
Smells like someone has been smoking too much reefer madness.

irony wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 am Smells like someone has been smoking too much reefer madness.
Congrats on your first (pointless) post :roll:

Reefius wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:38 am
irony wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 6:39 am Smells like someone has been smoking too much reefer madness.
Congrats on your first (pointless) post :roll:
At least you didn't call me a troll... progress.

Reefius wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:26 pm To me it just looks like an overengineered mess, compared to for example VCVrack and Voltage Modular.
The workflow in Bitwig's Grid is much better than either of those...

pdxindy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:49 pm The workflow in Bitwig's Grid is much better than either of those...
This extreme fanboyism is getting old, you probably also think the grid sounds better than synths like Diva, Repro1/5 and The Legend? Of cours it does, because it's Bitwig! Everything in Bitwig is always the best! All hail Bitwig! :roll:

Reefius wrote: Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:08 am
pdxindy wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 11:49 pm The workflow in Bitwig's Grid is much better than either of those...
This extreme fanboyism is getting old, you probably also think the grid sounds better than synths like Diva, Repro1/5 and The Legend? Of cours it does, because it's Bitwig! Everything in Bitwig is always the best! All hail Bitwig! :roll:
Everything is of course subjective, even the 10 out of 10 MusicTech review.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

He said the "workflow" and I agree with that. It is easier than Reaktor but clearer than other modular synths. It sounds great to me but I'm not comparing it with other modular synths.

If you don't like Bitwig and the Grid, it is your choice and taste! Nothing is wrong with that! But it is really wrong to tell us we shouldn't like them because they are ... (whatsoever reason!).

I have just finished the Grid tutorial by Thavius Beck. It is a good tutorial for a basic understanding which I like besides his other tutorials. Anyway, I can't say that the Grid will be my only synth, nor it is the main reason that I like Bitwig! But, I might use it and invest some of my time and energy in it.

I think the Grid sounds good... but sound quality is a step down from those synths you mention. Reaktor Blocks also sounds better than the Grid. Of course I can make a Grid patch with a polyphony of 24 voices and my modest computer easily handles it. Even if Reaktor Blocks had polyphony, I couldn't get more than 3 voices without CPU overload. So the Grid's sound to cpu ratio is very good.

But when talking about workflow for software modular, the Grid has set a new standard and by a large measure. As a software GUI, following the eurorack hardware model has some clumsy limitations. Any knob that you want to modulate must have a separate input and depth control. It means you have a very complicated visual appearance and also a mass of wires.

Because the Grid is not trying to look like eurorack, a simple module can be small and take less space. In general, modules with equal capability are visually simpler. In the Grid, any knob can be modulated and it does not need to have a mod input or depth knob. You can use modulators like LFO and Envelopes etc. and do not even need to use wires at all. Compare the Grid with the eurorack software emulations and a similarly complex patch will use far fewer wires. It is much cleaner visually.

Select any module in the Grid and in the inspector you will see mini scopes for all inputs and outputs. If it is a modulator you select then all modulation targets are shown in the inspector and you can edit the depths right there. Select the Grid device itself and all mod sources and targets for that patch are shown in the inspector. So even with the workspace closed, you can still edit any mod depths in the inspector.

If you have an Osc output wired to a filter input and decide to add a second Osc, you can drag the 2nd Osc output to the filters input and the Grid will automatically add a mixer and wire both Osc's to the filter. Very slick!

Any patch can be made polyphonic just by setting the number of voices from 1-64. Any patch can utilize the voice stacking. Simply set the number of stacked voices from 1-5. If you use voice stacking you can select the voice stack modulator and then just turn the filter cutoff knob and you have spread the filter cutoff values for the stacked voices. So easy! And of course any patch automatically has great MPE support.

The workflow in the Grid is brilliant and it is only the initial release.

When someone has nothing to add to the conversation, they resort to name calling. People are entitled to their opinions, just as you are. But why do people find the need to attack other peoples' point of view, instead of intelligently displaying their own? Maybe they can convince people that their perspective is valid, instead of pretending their arrogance is enough? And before you try and turn this statement around on me, it works both ways, that's why I didn't try to stereotype your opinion with a catch phrase or cliche.

It is indeed the workflow that makes both Bitwig and the Grid special. You can’t critique workflow from a feature list or listening to sounds, you have to invest some time. A lot of us are building cv, midi and sequencers etc, so sound quality is irrelevant, but it sounds pretty good to me. I prefer to sequence my analog hardware over virtual instruments, but I like the phase and FM oscillators, I have all the synths you mention...but I also have a hardware moog, prophet 8, DM12 and four cases full of Eurorack- so almost never use virtual analog unless I am not in my studio....if sound quality really matters to you over ease of use, get the hardware!
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

I’d been trying to get MPE working properly with everything I could get my hands on up to and including writing midi filters in Max, making my own Kontakt mutis and learning Falcon from scratch. Then I tried the grid. I wrote my own granular sampler in the Grid in and hour and it sounds better than anything I’ve used and I can implement MPE with the modulators scaled and slewed and whatnot so that it’s perfect. It wonderful. I have so much admiration for the developers for putting everything together in such a rational, well though out fashion.

I’m seriously considering selling 80% or more of all the plugins and software I’ve got as I just don’t have a use for it anymore. The tape sim I made in the grid is better to my ear than the half dozen I’ve bought. The filter unit I made in the grid works better than the software I’ve got, etc. it really is that good. Also the other built in synths and fx are brilliant too. And the inline fx on the delay feedback are a miracle. I’ve never been this impressed with a piece of music software since I was using notator on the ST back in the day.

What's up with Softube plugins in Bitwig? Getting massive CPU spikes and audio glitches with all of them. Looks like I'm not the only one:
https://answers.bitwig.com/questions/18 ... cpu-spikes

I believe you can run plugins sandboxed, in groups, etc. Try the various settings.

Don’t run the VST3 versions. That’s resolved the issues for me.

The Modular is problematic but the Heartbeat is ok (the vst 2 versions). Not sure it's Bitwig's fault though.

Also from a quick test yesterday, the Tsar reverb is working fine, so mostly I will use this with the Heartbeat and avoid using Modular :(

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”