FL Studio 20.5 | Introducing a new free plugin FLEX

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS
FL Studio All Plugins Edition

phreaque wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:48 pm
rlared wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 pm I like a lot of things about FL Studio but I still really struggle with how to make the workflow intuitive for me.
Don't want to say that nobody can get what really needs, but FLS is highly customizable when it comes to workflow.
It's really hard for me to manage the various patterns, remember which is which, etc. I might use actual step sequencer patterns for some drum sounds but 90% of the time I don't need the step sequencer and at those times it's more of an obstacle.
In playlist you can always rename & recolor & regroup patterns, automations and it will be linked to their physical instances on the channel rack.
Having bock sequencer & piano roll, is actually a feature to be grateful to, not to complain about, you can any of them and all of them.
Also I struggle with the mixer and assigning things to it, routing, etc. I am determined to eventually get comfortable with it though because it has so many awesome features for inspiring creativity, and it's a lot of fun. I see that they are working to improve the workflow continuously which is great.
Mixer itself is linked to to colors, names, icons, for any instrument / clip in the channel rack...
Routing is so simple. At least simpler than other DAWs.

I'm aware of what you're thinking about, sometimes we just don't see there's an invitation from things we need to use.... Unless getting a long learning curve...

And the best advice, is to watch & learn, watch videos of how producers work on FLS. You will get more visual content.
Indeed. I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube from Busy Works Beats and In the Mix. Those guys are both FL experts and they are fantastic. Obviously tons of people use FL to create music so it's just a matter of getting used to the workflow. I continue working on it :)

Reefius wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:50 pm Every time I try FL Studio, it doesn't take long for something to annoy me. Too many workarounds and menudiving for even the simplest things that only take a second in other DAW's.
I also think vector graphics are not the best way to make everything scaleable. It may have been so in 1998, but definitely not in 2019.
I actually love the vector graphics. FL Studio looks fantastic in my opinion. Not sure how you can really make everything scalable otherwise, other than using really high resolution images and resizing them.

rlared wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 pm I like a lot of things about FL Studio but I still really struggle with how to make the workflow intuitive for me. It's really hard for me to manage the various patterns, remember which is which, etc. I might use actual step sequencer patterns for some drum sounds but 90% of the time I don't need the step sequencer and at those times it's more of an obstacle. Also I struggle with the mixer and assigning things to it, routing, etc. I am determined to eventually get comfortable with it though because it has so many awesome features for inspiring creativity, and it's a lot of fun. I see that they are working to improve the workflow continuously which is great.
as I see currently the easiest is creating different channel filters (drums, bass, leads etc.) to the different instrument layer groups and dropping the corresponding instruments to them (simply should drop the instruments to the playlist track headers which also creates the channel-track-mixer assignments too at the same time), automation clips have to assign the channel filter groups manually but that's all (automation clips are pattern independent ones but worth to assign them to the associated channel filter to able find the target instrument easily, with one click)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubabgPtNzCs

dropping the instruments to the track headers also creates the corresponding patterns on the given track if u need a new one(one with different content) just make unique one of them as on the video above and change its content

different Fruity Controllers also should be dropped the corresponding channel filter group
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

so yepp, should create a channel filter, drop a Patcher(if u need layering, Pathcer also support multi-threading) to the track header which also drops Patcher to group and automatize modulate whatever it
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nQl_AmlX0TU
assign the related automation to the corresponding group, repeat ... happy
"Where we're workarounding, we don't NEED features." - powermat

Image-Line wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am I disagree with some of their customer service tactics.
What specifically did we do to you?

I have seen several people on this forum make vague references to how badly we have treated them.

Regards Scott
It's a long list. But specifically, in this forum, I've seen you throw people under the bus to take a "screw you" attitude.

Don't get me wrong Scott, I'm not some hater that thinks FL is the evil empire, but I don't want to go back and be specific. FL has not been particularly "friendly" towards me and others and has thus taken the "NFL network approach" ... If you complain about something, anything, you are a "twitter troll" that is to be kicked to the curb.

I look at both sides. I DO feel that FL is unfairly criticized. But I believe that fair negative opinions have been swept away (like the old republic) for the sake of looking good.

I'm sorry if it sounds bad, but I think if you can't take it, don't dish it out.

salemwich wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 5:02 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am Again, to keep this on topic and for my sanity, I like FL just fine, but I disagree with some of their customer service tactics.

Sorry, it's not HATING, and it's not being a "fanboi" ............ next.
gol's spirit still haunts the hallow halls of Image-Line. :)
He was BRILLIANT, but not much when it comes to the humanity of things. I don't miss him and I wish FL all the luck. I just don't want to be one of those people that forgives crappy treatment.

Uggggg, I really do need to stop with this thread, I've tried to be as forthcoming as I can about my feelings, but I've also been misunderstood a great deal as well.

reggie1979 wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 2:38 am It's a long list. But specifically, in this forum, I've seen you throw people under the bus to take a "screw you" attitude.
I am not sure what throwing people under the bus or 'screw you' means in this context.

Regards Scott
Image-Line are proud developers of - FL Studio, FL Studio Mobile & Audio Plugins.

Then forget it. This isn't worth it. I can go back and quote a bunch of stuff but what good would it do? Probably none.

Again, for the record, I'm not trying to be a thorn in the side, I said what I said, and it can be believed or not.

I look forward to all FL en devours regardless of what had been said here.

rlared wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:52 pm
phreaque wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:48 pm
rlared wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 2:35 pm I like a lot of things about FL Studio but I still really struggle with how to make the workflow intuitive for me.
Don't want to say that nobody can get what really needs, but FLS is highly customizable when it comes to workflow.
It's really hard for me to manage the various patterns, remember which is which, etc. I might use actual step sequencer patterns for some drum sounds but 90% of the time I don't need the step sequencer and at those times it's more of an obstacle.
In playlist you can always rename & recolor & regroup patterns, automations and it will be linked to their physical instances on the channel rack.
Having bock sequencer & piano roll, is actually a feature to be grateful to, not to complain about, you can any of them and all of them.
Also I struggle with the mixer and assigning things to it, routing, etc. I am determined to eventually get comfortable with it though because it has so many awesome features for inspiring creativity, and it's a lot of fun. I see that they are working to improve the workflow continuously which is great.
Mixer itself is linked to to colors, names, icons, for any instrument / clip in the channel rack...
Routing is so simple. At least simpler than other DAWs.

I'm aware of what you're thinking about, sometimes we just don't see there's an invitation from things we need to use.... Unless getting a long learning curve...

And the best advice, is to watch & learn, watch videos of how producers work on FLS. You will get more visual content.
Indeed. I've watched a lot of videos on Youtube from Busy Works Beats and In the Mix. Those guys are both FL experts and they are fantastic. Obviously tons of people use FL to create music so it's just a matter of getting used to the workflow. I continue working on it :)
I still prefer Zircon's tutorial in MacPro video (or AskVideo). I remember he did many demo tracks more than 10 years ago, right? Anyway it is a previous version in the tutorial but it doesn't matter as he really nailed the basics. He is both a talented musician and teacher.

I'm trying to delve into FL Studio and the way I treat tracks is to assign a pattern to every instrument. With this start, everything begins to be organised :) There are other workflow of course, but I found this one a good start.

Image-Line wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 11:03 am
reggie1979 wrote: Wed Jul 31, 2019 3:32 am I disagree with some of their customer service tactics.
What specifically did we do to you?

I have seen several people on this forum make vague references to how badly we have treated them.

Regards Scott
Hey reggie we are waiting.
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

No need to wait. The list of unhappy Image-Line customers on the net is endless: https://www.google.com/search?q=crybaby ... 20&bih=937

chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:40 am No need to wait. The list of unhappy Image-Line customers on the net is endless: https://www.google.com/search?q=crybaby ... 20&bih=937
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Intel® Core™ i9-9900K•Cubase 11•Presonus Eris E8 XT•Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 & Octopre•NI Kontrol S61 MK2•Stein­berg CC121•Synthesizers: Arturia Casio Korg Roland Yamaha

I bet they all use a pirated version :P

chk071 wrote: Fri Aug 02, 2019 7:40 am No need to wait. The list of unhappy Image-Line customers on the net is endless: https://www.google.com/search?q=crybaby ... 20&bih=937
It just doesn't work stable on Mac. I have it on my Windows machine and works fine. Just takes some getting used to to the workflow.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

Trancit wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:59 pm
cereal killer wrote: Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:05 pm Looks like Reason has invaded your market share. :)
Bye bye Edward... the time with you was nice... a pity it was so short... :lol: :hihi: :hug:
Dude, that guy's a bonafide loser. It was entertainment for about 15 minutes, but now it's obvious that the guy needs to jump off a cliff or something and just end it already. Seriously, what idiot keeps coming back here for years and years, to say the same negative goddamned thing about the same company over and over, and keep getting banned over and over and come back for more. Freaking weirdo.

Having said that, I dedicated a lot of time recently to working with FL and I'm able to use it somewhat comfortably now. It's going to take me some time to use it fluently but what I'm realizing, is that it's way worth it for me to spend the time with it and not just give up and run back to my other DAW's because I get frustrated with it.

What I found out about FL, that I seemed to miss previously like an idiot, is that it includes some outstanding built-in tools and features that you just cannot find in other DAW's. I'm completely floored at how much this software includes, and I've only scratched the surface.

I'm going to say this right now, anybody who complains about FL because of what it doesn't do, has a serious problem, because this software can literally do anything you need it to do, and is only as good as you make it. There are no limits in FL-Studio when it comes to creativity. You literally don't need anything else, and I feel like a total ass for spending tons and tons of money on third-party shit and five other flagship DAW's along with the hardware controllers to go with them, to realize in the end, that FL-Studio had exactly what I needed all by itself and it was right under my nose all this time.

Don't get me wrong, I will say that there are a couple of third-party VSTi that I've purchased that are pretty cool to have, I know my other DAW's and hardware are way cool and highly usable, but most of them just sit in my VST folder, and in my closet, sort of like trophies, and that's it. What I realized is that most of all that crap is missing one major thing in my eyes. Creative tools and functions. "Blue Collar Tools" if you will, that help speed up the creative workflow. This seems to be an afterthought in the industry for the most part.

What I love about FL Studio is the integration of everything that's built into it and the amazing way that every single thing can be automated with ease. Also, how the Fruity Envelope Controller is an integral part of a bunch of their built in plugins, which means you can quickly sequence automation of the parameters within the plugin itself and I mean you can literally go nuts. If you can imagine it, then you can do it quickly with these tools.

If that's not enough, they give it to you as a separate plugin that you can use to automate anything you wish within the program. Also with the Fruity Keyboard Controller I can now easily use my keyboard, to play automation of any parameter of any plugin that I wish, built-in, or third-party. I'm going to tell you right now, you can't do that type of shit in any other DAW with the speed and with the ease with which you can do it in FL-Studio. I don't give a f*** what anybody says, and I challenge anybody to show me a third party plugin, or any flagship DAW costing twice as much, that give you the lightning fast, thorough, and flexible automation control that FL Studio gives you. I'm only touching one area. There's a ton more inside of this program that I haven't even begun to explore.

It's fun as hell, and I'm doing things that I just could not do in other DAW software. I am so thankful for this. This is the stuff I would have paid damn good money for, but it just doesn't exist in the outside world. This is what makes me want to just stay in FL and get stuff done. I just can't get away from it now. @ Image-Line, I owe you guys some more money man. I wish I could take back all that update money from Steinberg, Ableton, Bitwig, Motu... the list goes on, and give it to you guys. You've earned it more than they did. Seriously.
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/
Alienware i7 R3 loaded with billions of DAWS and plugins.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”