OwlPlug - An audio plugin manager

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS
OwlPlug

Hi ! I'm the maintainer of OwlPlug, an open source audio plugin manager. It's basically an appStore like Steam, but for musicians and filled with audio effects and virtual instruments. The main feature is plugin download and install automation through Stores. I've started to work on it 2 years ago when i was studying CS. It's an early Beta release, it may have bugs and there still a lot of interesting features to implement. More than a place to download a given VST, I want to create a tool to discover plugins made by the community.

Key Features
  • Plugin explorer. OwlPlug handles VST2 and VST3 plugins installed on your system folders. It's already compatible with previously installed plugins. You can still organize your plugins as you want with a file explorer or with your favorite DAW.
  • Stores. Plugin download and installation automation from remote sources. OwlPlug serves few free open source plugins by default, but it works with third party stores like Vst4Free. It works in a decentralized way since any distributors / developers can set up a compatible API and let OwlPlug interact with it.
  • Links allows you to create and manage symlinks across your filesystem and plugin directories. You can access directories anywhere on your filesystem (Hard drive, usb keys, custom directories...) through your default plugin directory
Owlplug may not fit your use cases and workflow. I use it daily, but we all have different needs and ways to organize our stuff. I'm open to suggestions and i really need feedbacks on features you like and features you want to see. I am convinced that this kind of tool is missing and ... I think the best way to have it is to build it by ourselves.
I already have some ideas, so i've created a general Roadmap.

Installation

Requirements: Windows 7 (64 bit) or later, macOS Sierra or later.
Download and install the latest version from here.

Mac users, unfortunately, there are no packages available for now. I want to build a release for OSX and fix some compatibility issue but I don't have a mac so it's complicated...
I haven't the time to write a full user documentation. There are few explanations on the Github repository page.

Update (Jan 2020): I've packaged a native macOS executable. You can download the dmg file from Github

Update (May 2021): OwlPlug supports AU format.

Update (May 2022): OwlPlug can be run on Linux. You can download the pkg file from Github

Update (Sept 2022): OwlPlug supports subcomponents and LV2 format

Update (Nov 2023): OwlPlug can analyze some DAW project files to extract plugins

Patreon

I'm working on OwlPlug during my free time so I've opened a Patreon page for the project. Contributions will help me to maintain and develop new features. You will find the latest news and also a list of things to get involved in the project.

If you are interested in a tool like this, feel free to download and run it. As i said, i'm actively looking for feedbacks. I hope you will enjoy it :) Arthur.
@dropsnorz
Last edited by dropsnorz on Mon Feb 12, 2024 9:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Congrats, looks really good!

Now this is truly intriguing. I'll keep an eye peeled.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

This looks cool.
EnergyXT3 - LMMS - FL Studio | Roland SH201 - Waldorf Rocket | SoundCloud - Bandcamp

It has notable potentials for sure.

Very cool! Congratulations on launching!

It's one of the first really original ideas I've seen in a long time.

What about Macs and AU? Is that on the cards?

Thank you all, it's really good to hear ! 8)

What about Macs and AU? Is that on the cards?
I would love to add new plugin formats like Audio Units to OwlPlug.
Unfortunately, I haven't a mac. I want to work on OSX support as soon as I can get one. And once it has been done, we could plan to bring AU compatibility. I can't tell you when... to be honest, buying a mac is completely beyond my means for now.
All these things are on the roadmap. :wink:

Is this application Java based? Getting a Failed to launch JVM (Java Virtual Machine) error at plugin scan.

Eric

ruinednation wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 pm Is this application Java based? Getting a Failed to launch JVM (Java Virtual Machine) error at plugin scan.

Eric
Hi ruinednation. Yes, this is a Java based app.

This is a weird problem. What is your operating system ?
The Java core is embedded in the App, but there might be conflict with a Java version installed on your system during native calls to part written in C++.
Do you reproduce the problem after disabling "Native discovery" on the Option panel ?

Windows 10 Pro 1903. I'll try again with the suggestion.

Thanks!

Wonderful idea. +1 for an OSX port.

/C
CLUB VICE for ARTURIA PIGMENTS
HARDWARE SAMPLER FANATIC - Akai S1100/S950/Z8 - Casio FZ20m - Emu Emax I - Ensoniq ASR10/EPS

ruinednation wrote: Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 pm Is this application Java based? Getting a Failed to launch JVM (Java Virtual Machine) error at plugin scan.
Eric
Same error on my system as well, Windows 10 Pro. This looks great and hoping to try this out, however I'm unable to launch the plugin at all. Any ideas on this? I installed the most recent JDK as well but no change.

That worked. Did I need to update Java to work with Native Discovery turned on? I usually don't out of habit at work as updating Java breaks things. :x

zorkiii run OwlPlug as adminstrator (right click or check administrator in compatibility settings)

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”