Which DAW?

Logic Pro X
45%
Cubase Pro 10
55%

Total votes: 140

RELATED
PRODUCTS

as to Steinberg not needing the dongle anymore, how does that work? Ask yourself why they don't use the soft eLicenser for Artist/Pro (the ones which cost).
(not advocacy, just a reality check:) You can get a copy, a dmg of Logic (I know this from transferring it from machine to machine, I kept the dmg in a rare bit of foresight) fr. where_ever and install it and there is no authorization needed whatsoever. And from there, the OS will notify you of updates, it sees Logic and that's that. I can pretty much guarantee Apple Logic Pro.dmg is readily available in torrents. Not a crack, simply share it and it works.

You can't do this with the dongle. Last crack I heard was of Cubase 5 and it probably had issues.
But you're comparing the dongle with no authorization, surely the latter is more convenient.

(I think you can't have had more dongle-related sorrow than I)

jancivil wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 3:42 pm as to Steinberg not needing the dongle anymore, how does that work? Ask yourself why they don't use the soft eLicenser for Artist/Pro (the ones which cost).
(not advocacy, just a reality check:) You can get a copy, a dmg of Logic (I know this from transferring it from machine to machine, I kept the dmg in a rare bit of foresight) fr. where_ever and install it and there is no authorization needed whatsoever. And from there, the OS will notify you of updates, it sees Logic and that's that. I can pretty much guarantee Apple Logic Pro.dmg is readily available in torrents. Not a crack, simply share it and it works.

You can't do this with the dongle. Last crack I heard was of Cubase 5 and it probably had issues.
But you're comparing the dongle with no authorization, surely the latter is more convenient.
Oh don't get me wrong, I know exactly why Steinberg is holding on to the dongle and I see their point. I've been on Cubase since SX3. Having said that: I don't know if it's me but the nature of a lot of my gigs happens to be sudden and impromptu and I feel that in this kind of economy you have to grab the occasions as soon and fast as they happen, wherever you are.
If I were to buy a DAW today, the dongle thing would be a decisive factor in my choice.
Somebody on a forum posted that they forgot the dongle and couldn't work that day. The usual nice dude objected that the dongle is like the keys to a car. If you forget your keys it's your fault. That is a false equivalence. The dongle is like the keys to a specific brand of cars in a world where you unlock all the other cars just by saying a car - unique password.
Steinberg looks after their interests and that's fair enough but that's by denying a nowadays standard user experience.
He tried to play bass.
www.jordanbrown.co.uk

v1o wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:20 am The six core i7 8700k Mac Mini is a capable affordable machine.
My 2010 MP (2x2.66GHz) wins in a Logic Multicore-Benchmark.
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

quantize wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 am Only discovered recently Logic doesn't have basic stuff like one-click disabling an entire insert strip...the more i dig the more the price difference makes sense.
Would this be quick enough?

Cubase wins the poll? Kvr is f**ked!

Seriously, in polls of DAW use on Macs isn't Logic way more used than the others?

Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:20 am
v1o wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:20 am The six core i7 8700k Mac Mini is a capable affordable machine.
My 2010 MP (2x2.66GHz) wins in a Logic Multicore-Benchmark.
That’s either a software optimisation issue or thermal issue throttling all core turbo. I have the 8700k in a PC build, even without OC it’s a beast and matches closely to the 9900k in many productivity benchmarks.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

Sascha Franck wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 1:25 am
quantize wrote: Tue Jun 25, 2019 5:51 am Only discovered recently Logic doesn't have basic stuff like one-click disabling an entire insert strip...the more i dig the more the price difference makes sense.
That’s a good one, but kind of obscure for anyone coming from other DAWs. If there’s one DAW you need to read the users guide for, it’s Logic.

samsam wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 5:21 am Cubase wins the poll? Kvr is f**ked!

Seriously, in polls of DAW use on Macs isn't Logic way more used than the others?
I’d guess that both Windows and Mac users voted.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm

That was my thought too.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:54 pm
That’s a good one, but kind of obscure for anyone coming from other DAWs. If there’s one DAW you need to read the users guide for, it’s Logic.
I was a Logic user and now Cubase. Can Cubase swipe like that, e.g. to run down your tracks enabling solo or mute, for example, or as above in the inserts. So far I haven't found a way to do that.

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:54 pm That’s a good one, but kind of obscure for anyone coming from other DAWs. If there’s one DAW you need to read the users guide for, it’s Logic.
I actually almost never do, and never did.
IMO it's a way better thing to just explore things on your own and read the most relevant forums. Oh, and the "what's new in Logic xyz" notes by Apple and whatever videos.

Forgotten wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:01 pm
jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:56 pm

That was my thought too.
Has to be.

No disrespect to Cubase. Congrats on the poll victory hehe

jonljacobi wrote: Wed Jun 26, 2019 2:54 pm
Looks very intuitive to me.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

v1o wrote: Thu Jun 27, 2019 10:54 am Looks very intuitive to me.
It's new (as of LPX4.4), though - and in case you're used to individual clicks (which was the previous behaviour), you don't exactly stumble over this. I really only noticed it sort of by accident after "swiping" over a few mute buttons in my track list (it's mentioned in Apples update notes, though).

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”