Logic Pro X
45%
Cubase Pro 10
55%

Total votes: 140

RELATED
PRODUCTS

NeoKortex88 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 pm Hey,

so i started out with Logic (because iam on mac) and i love it but since two of my friends who work on windows have Cubase i got the crossgrade for Cubase pro 10. Its pretty nice so far.
Well, since you already have both, why not learn and use both? I’m not sure why there is this incessant A vs B mentality on music forums. Ultimately, they both have the same functionality, and it’s really not hard to transfer your knowledge between the two. Use Cubase for your collabs and Logic for your own work and you’ll be fluent in both in no time.
Logic Pro | PolyBrute | MatrixBrute | MiniFreak | Prophet 6 | Trigon 6 | OB-6 | Rev2 | Pro 3 | SE-1X | Polar TI2 | Blofeld | RYTMmk2 | Digitone | Syntakt | Digitakt | Integra-7

You forgot to quote his question tho
NeoKortex88 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 pm Which of the two DAWs should i learn first and like buy manuals/courses for?

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:59 pm
fgimian wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:48 am(currently, double clicking in Cubase since Sierra seems to be a hit or miss, insanely frustrating bug)
I can't replicate that behavior, never is simple double-clicking a cause of instability at all, so 'bug' (how many can replicate that; give a specific instance and find out) is probably not the right word. 'Bug' means it's consistent reproducible behavior.

Sorry, I have grown a pet peeve with that word in the last few years, people have an issue and "it's a bug" appears.

Sometimes there is a bug with a plugin and now 'the DAW' is unstable. There will be things going on in a system that crashes like that that aren't present here.
To clarify, the double click issue has been replicated by many people and even acknowledged to me by Steinberg themselves. See the thread at https://www.steinberg.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=111868

Further to this, the instability I'm referring to is not in relation to the issues I've mentioned. Cubase crashes constantly on macOS for me with only licensed plugin by respected manufacturers (u-he, NI, Valhalla DSP .etc). This crashing only begun since Sierra and hasn't really improved with the latest 9.5.x updates either. I had to sacrifice so many of my plugins to make Cubase somewhat usable on macOS.

As I mentioned, this is my experience, and many others on the Cubase forums have had similar issues. If it works for you and you don't encounter these issues, then that's honestly awesome; I wish that was the case for me too.

Logic has never crashed on me once, and neither has Ableton Live, with the same set of plugins. On macOS, Logic and Live (in my experience) are significantly less buggy and more stable than Cubase, and that's not getting into the discussion of CPU performance.

It looks like a fault with the Apple mouse from that. Not per se, but something in Cubase is at some point not tolerant of it.

I never used it really, I think they suck. I bought a regular mouse in the beginning.

Where did this idea that Cubase is more feature rich than Logic come from? I think they’re always playing catch up with each other so they eventually reach parity. For example Logic currently supports ARA2, whilst Cubase is still working on implementing it. Cubase has a few more features for organising/grouping/showing/hiding tracks. And I’m not sure how well Logic supports those fancy Roli controllers. But the main difference is workflow. And the quality of included instruments, sounds and effects. The plugins that come stock with Logic are of a commercial quality and would be expensive to buy if sold separately.
Orion Platinum, Muzys 2

ramseysounds wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:34 pm Just demo them and try for yourself
Logic Pro doesn't have a demo.

Cubase Pro requires that you buy a dongle to demo it.

jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 pm It looks like a fault with the Apple mouse from that. Not per se, but something in Cubase is at some point not tolerant of it.

I never used it really, I think they suck. I bought a regular mouse in the beginning.
I own a Logitech mouse too and have the same issue with it. Another person in the thread also mentions they are not using a magic mouse and have the issue.

I'll just say that you are very very lucky not to experience this issue because it truly makes using Cubase on a mac a very bad experience.

andypryce wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:19 am I am kind of in the same boat. Using primarily Studio One but having problems with timing (freely played parts does not sound as they are played compared to Logic or Cubase and when a session is crowded I feel it is not tight enough.
I've noticed this comes up now and then , yet nobody has ever provided some proof where the (freely played ) midi and audio ( if recorded ) are OFF .
I've never encountered any timing issues in studio one
Eyeball exchanging
Soul calibrating ..frequencies

v1o wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 4:58 am Where did this idea that Cubase is more feature rich than Logic come from?
From using both :shrug:

fgimian wrote: Fri Jun 21, 2019 9:10 am
jancivil wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 11:53 pm It looks like a fault with the Apple mouse from that. Not per se, but something in Cubase is at some point not tolerant of it.

I own a Logitech mouse too and have the same issue with it. Another person in the thread also mentions they are not using a magic mouse and have the issue.

I'll just say that you are very very lucky not to experience this issue because it truly makes using Cubase on a mac a very bad experience.
Have you deleted Preferences during this at all? It's the first thing I would do.

I've used a MacBook Pro & trackpad since 2017.

There are some things which used to only require a single click, velocity in Key Editor for example, which require a double click in C10. Aha, right click.

I went from Sierra to HS to Mojave since Sept 2018. You may well have already done, but I would clear as much as humanly possible as it appears your system/Sierra/Cubase is not a happy sandbox.

research problems on the OS side as well, for one.

Steinberg and Logic in its various forms have been competing since the 80’s. I haven’t used Cubase 10, just 9, but they have generally been feature comparable over the years. Price-wise? $200? No comparison.

The main problem with Logic in the more or less near future will be that you won't be able to configure a decently priced workstation around it anymore. And while Logic itself is as cheap as it gets, the hardware you need to run it is getting more and more expensive. And while Macs had a great resale value, while you could use them for a long period of time so far, I'm afraid that this will change more or less noticeably. In fact, you can already observe it.

For me, even as a true Logic afficionado (ok, not that much anymore as they manage to mess things up quite a bit ever since the event of LPX), this is going to be a problem soon-ishly. I'm right now running a perfectly capable and stable machine (a 2010 Mac Pro, which is still going pretty strong, even compared to some way newer machines) and as it'll be sent to obsolescence in about 2 years, I will at one point need to have a look for a follow up. Right now, Apple has zero offers that would be a good choice - and in case they could be, they're way too expensive.

Seriously, this is something to consider in the long run. You can build a pretty much kickass Windows box, tailored for audio useage, for around €1.5k, featuring an i9 8-core CPU. In Apple land, that would get you an i5 6-core Mac Mini with a 512GB SSD. Certainly not a bad choice to run Logic on but you can't slap in any further drives, can't use PCIe interfaces (unless you purchase an expensive external enclosure) and so on.

Personally, even if I started with Cubase, I wouldn't exactly want to go back because by now Logic is my home for almost 2 decades. But in case Apple continues with their current tactics, I may as well do so (well, I might even go for Bitwig, which seems to be a great thing).
There are 3 kinds of people:
Those who can do maths and those who can't.

My 2011 works just fine with 10.4.5, though I do most of my work on an upgraded 2015. I was talking basically to the OP who is already on a Mac. If you’re starting without hardware, it’s a different story financially, though everybody forgets how much those Retina displays and Thunderbolt cost during their comparisons.

Bitwig still has a ways to go in some regards. Give it a year or two.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”