Logic Pro X
45%
Cubase Pro 10
55%

Total votes: 140

RELATED
PRODUCTS

This poll is pretty much:

Apple's only decent exclusive DAW vs one of many non-exclusive PC DAWs.

I know some people like Apple and their products, I'm not one of them.
Have you tried Vital?

I can’t answer that yet. I’m still working my way thru my recently bought Cubase Crossgrade, and I am just starting to really like it. I will say that Cubase’s layout is super streamlined, and for anyone who spends a lot of time chopping samples, loading them into a Sampler and then breaking it all out into different tracks, Cubase kind of rules. I should also say that my MacBook Pro is kind of fiddly about the dongle, but I may have worked that out

In the mid 90s I had bought Cubase and at that time it wasn't as friendly to Macs, so it was at that time I went to Logic 4 Platinum. I upgraded Logic throughout the versions, and around v9 I really liked the workflow of Studio One. I am now with Cubase which to me was easy to move over from Studio One, and I'm very happy with it. I do still have the current versions of the others with a large amount of projects in them. I don't have any issues running Cubase on my Mac, and it's not the most powerful Mac on the planet.

Logic is undoubtedly good value for your money, although Apple's habit of continually disqualifying previous OS's during the cycle of a major version can be a factor, because unless you keep updating your OS every time Apple changes their minimum requirements, you are not getting the entire X.xx version you paid for. Some people don't always want to change their OS so readily.

I feel Cubase is the more full-featured DAW which has completed the list of things that were important to me. I am having no problem with the workflow or getting used to it after having demoed it first, and there are more things to learn...all in good time. There is one thing I miss from Studio One but nothing I miss from Logic, and I had been with Logic the longest.

Watching some videos will also help, and also demo Cubase (at least Elements as you can do that without having the dongle).

He already got Cubase
NeoKortex88 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 6:54 pm ....i got the crossgrade for Cubase pro 10....
Guess worth pointing out, If you decide to use Cubase with Windows based PC, get Steinberg approved SCAN (or similar) PC build, seems like horror bug stories you hear are from custom made PC owners, so there's really no reason to cheap out on anything just because you suddenly can, pay little more and don't worry about technical stuff.
Last edited by Passing Bye on Thu Jun 20, 2019 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

No dongle is a huge benefit for Logic for me. The dongle is a big point of failure (whether it breaks or I lose it or I forget I left it someone and I cannot do anything until I go pick it up). Also, the dongle means I can only use it on one computer at a time. That's just a big no-no for me.

Then there is the price. I paid $200 for LPX years ago and I have not had to pay anything since. In that time Alchemy was added (and greatly improved) and tons of new capability, devices and workflow improvements etc. I have not calculated the exact price, but if I had purchased Cubase at the same time as Logic and I had upgraded each time one was available, it would have cost me something like $1500. That is a large difference!

Those 2 points easily decide it for me.

Well, there's Reaper too, cost even less, can be used on any OS, no dongle either, even better optimized, you get 2 major versions that can go for a decade it seems, but still with all due respect, that alone shouldn't be deciding factor IMO, but actual DAW, if it actually works for one, that's the most important thing.

Personally I like Bitwig the most, it suits me and just get out of the way of my creativity, but on paper it's not that good investment at all, feature and price wise.

Not saying that one should disregard all those things, but in the end of the day, it's the price to pay for something you like, but than again, if everything really boils down to that and that is truly deciding factor, than sure, as I said in my first post, Cubase might loose some of his edge for anyone not needing that stuff he might have over Logic, so than it truly boils down to common sense and math.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 pm If you decide to use Cubase with Windows based PC, get Steinberg approved SCAN (or similar) PC build, seems like horror bug stories you hear are from custom made PC owners.

Only if you don't know what you're doing. If you know how to build a killer PC, definitely do it. \

I went unconventional with this one in late 2017 and its just an absolute killer - powerful, *actually* silent under the highest loads due to a well-thought (and also silent) cooling strategy, and a 1-shot (no upgrading). If I had to make another DAW today, I'd build this exact same one.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Psomm/saved/#view=WwQKZL
Have you tried Vital?

Just demo them and try for yourself
I wonder what happens if I press this button...

I'm a Cubase guy, mainly because I'm on Windows. But I know Logic very well from friends who use it. Cubase and Logic are to me the most similar DAWs in terms of the feature set, the scope and purpose.

There are some aspects where Cubase is lacking behind Logic, mainly:

Logic has more comprehensive and feature rich set of effect plugins (for example the main compressor has various compression modes, the EQ is almost as sophisticated as Pro-Q). I tend to prefer the Logic effects over Cubase ones.

Logic has bigger and more useful library of real instruments sample content, while Cubase has mainly Halion Sonic SE with not very convincing content. The reason: Steinberg sells the big version of Halion as it's own, separate product, while Logic has this kind of content included already.

And of course with Logic, since there is only one variant, you get the complete package, while in Cubase you might be missing out a couple of functions, effects and instruments, if you get one of the more affordable variants. Still, Cubase Artist cover most of what one would need.

fgimian wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 10:48 am(currently, double clicking in Cubase since Sierra seems to be a hit or miss, insanely frustrating bug)
I can't replicate that behavior, never is simple double-clicking a cause of instability at all, so 'bug' (how many can replicate that; give a specific instance and find out) is probably not the right word. 'Bug' means it's consistent reproducible behavior.

Sorry, I have grown a pet peeve with that word in the last few years, people have an issue and "it's a bug" appears.

Sometimes there is a bug with a plugin and now 'the DAW' is unstable. There will be things going on in a system that crashes like that that aren't present here.

Psuper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 pm
Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 5:48 pm If you decide to use Cubase with Windows based PC, get Steinberg approved SCAN (or similar) PC build, seems like horror bug stories you hear are from custom made PC owners.
Only if you don't know what you're doing. If you know how to build a killer PC, definitely do it. \
I assume not many are that knowledgeable and have time for it as someone as Kaine, I doubt you will build better machine for Cubase as he does dealing with all hardware and software manufactures invovled, also getting technical support in case something goes wrong with either, definitely less headaches and more time for music making, that's one of the reasons people buy mac's.

I never have used a Cubase-internal instrument. I hate Halion, I demoed Halion 6 twice and there's just no way.
I have a license for Halion Sonic SE but I don't understand what that even means. I don't think I bought a license. PITA anyway.
the Sampler instrument seems pretty cool but I have yet to really find a compelling use case.

EXS has some pleasing things but they seem pretty lite. I even translated 1 or 2 of them to Kontakt.
It doesn't matter, I started with Cubase SX1 and it's always been third-party. I can't recommend it on its native set of plugins, except Magneto 3 is my absolute go-to saturator and Frequency is great except in the audio part editor where spectrum never appears.

Apparently Cubase lacks that generic Apple Look, I mean when you launch it the parts aren't even green! :x
The colors can totally be determined in preferences. I don't do much but I like it a bit on the purple side, vs dark flat grey. I like it dark. Logic is blinding.

Passing Bye wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:00 pm
Psuper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 7:25 pm
I assume not many are that knowledgeable and have time for it as someone as Kaine, I doubt you will build better machine for Cubase as he does dealing with all hardware and software manufactures invovled, also getting technical support in case something goes wrong with either, definitely less headaches and more time for music making, that's one of the reasons people buy mac's.
Doubt all you like, it's not a contest - there's endless possible hardware combinations and you either 'get it' or you don't - like anything. However I'd be willing to bet my performance/high-load DB reading/cooling-temperature ratio compared to most anything 'experts' have done would make all the raving girls swoon...
Have you tried Vital?

Psuper wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 8:25 pm Doubt all you like, it's not a contest - there's endless possible hardware combinations and you either 'get it' or your don't - like anything.
Exactly and if you don't get it and problems arise and neither you or Steinberg can troubleshoot it, you wasted time and money building that POS and wasted time troubleshooting it, some say time equals money, in this case you lost both literally, so if you aren't tech nerd, it's just huge waste to try to save up few bucks.
However I'd be willing to bet my performance/high-load DB reading/cooling-temperature ratio compared to most anything 'experts' have done would make all the raving girls swoon...
Good for you. :clap:

Bombadil wrote: Thu Jun 20, 2019 12:14 pm The EXS definitely needs a makeover, I would expect that to be a possibility in 10.5.
Can I +100000000000000 this. Man i'm getting impatient. The EXS just looks dreadful on the Macbook I have :dog:. I mean...I Use Kontakt usually anyway in Logic but STILL :hihi:
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”