Pro Tools Update Subscription is Doubling July 1st (for Perpetual Licenses)

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Latest news is that Avid is proudly changing their prices. No more $99 a year update plans beginning July 1st for the Perpetual Licenses; instead they're improving the price to $199. Since Avid only allows members to see the pricing, I don't want to get strikes for posting privileged company documents (because I don't feel like typing it out), so I'll just give you a link to the Avid post and image of the pricing (you must be logged in to see it).

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=405253

The motivation to move to subscription is obvious after looking at the pricing. Anyway, just a heads up to buy an update to your perp license if you haven't already.
Last edited by Mathematics on Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
...and the electron responded, "what wall?"

Pro fools :hihi:

I know, it's the industry standard and for people that record audio, it's great. But I wouldn't have it.

Q - Will Avid still offer BOTH perpetual and subscription offerings?

A - We will continue to offer perpetual pricing as an option. However, going forward the preferred pricing model will be subscription-based pricing, because this is the direction of the entire industry and the way people would prefer to license software.
Hmmm, let's see :wink:

The direction of the entire industry? I dunno about that. Like you said, let's see.

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 pm Latest news is that Avid is proudly changing their prices. No more $99 a year update plans beginning July 1st. Instead they're improving the price to $199.
I don't know if I can understand this very well... I mean what sort of "improvement" doubling the price for a subscription model and yearly fee for a daw when already many others can do the same and offers more? this looks like a bunch of hypocrites arrogantly saying that users wants that sort of system. But maybe is true, some business are still running this way due to people that don't like to see things as they are and why.

JunSev wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:05 pm
Mathematics wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 pm Latest news is that Avid is proudly changing their prices. No more $99 a year update plans beginning July 1st. Instead they're improving the price to $199.
I don't know if I can understand this very well... I mean what sort of "improvement" doubling the price for a subscription model and yearly fee for a daw when already many others can do the same and offers more? this looks like a bunch of hypocrites arrogantly saying that users wants that sort of system. But maybe is true, some business are still running this way due to people that don't like to see things as they are and why.
They aren't doubling their subscription model. And why are they hypocrites?

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:01 pm... Anyway, just a heads up to buy an update to your perp license if you haven't already.
When I update my Sibelius 7.5 and I don’t renew my update plan after a year. I have to buy Sibelius full price to get back to the update plan.

With this kind of update strategy Avid have always wanted us to switch to subscription.

BTW, the Sibelius update is now 50% off. Should I finally (and for the last time) update my Sibelius 7.5?

Their user account is still a f**king mess.

On well.

I haven’t bother loading PT12 up since it seems like 2015. I hope to keep it this way.

The last perpetual license was a BS license. They should have never have offered it alongside subscriptions because the perpetual license worked liked the sub... Support only good until the “included subscription” ended.

They’ve been a subscription service and they should have presented it that way in the first place.

Piece of shit company.

I’m sorry for all the good people that work for them. I wish the industry was stronger elsewhere so they could find steady jobs elsewhere.

I'm doing Google searches for RX Connect and Cubase right now. I need a reasonably good Post Production DAW for film that integrates RX Connect specifically like PT does. I can live without PT. I use it mainly for cleaning up and mastering soundtracks...hence RX Connect.

I really like my setup with Nuendo and RX7 Advanced. RX Connect works great in Nuendo with offline processing.

IMHO, Nuendo is a much better DAW than Protools Ultimate.

That's a good chunk of change for the work I'm doing. I do post on the side and it's not my primary income so I think something more like Cubase is probably going to be what I may have to start working primarily in. I've used it before, so I'm not new to it. I just like the workflow of Digital Performer for orchestration. I have no problem returning to Cubase though. I do miss the powerful midi capabilities. I like that you confirm a Steinberg's Nuendo with RX7 Adv. That's what I have and with PT...omg, so smooth. I'm definitely much more motivated to buying back my Cubase license from someone.

Mathematics wrote: Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 pm I need a reasonably good Post Production DAW for film that integrates RX Connect specifically like PT does.
I bet that within a few years Davinci Resolve, and specifically the integrated Fairlight DAW, will be the leading platform for film post. Their strategy to get there is pretty clear. You can get a free Resolve license that includes the full Fairlight functionality and the full commercial license is pretty cheap for what you get as well.

It seems that RX connect is not yet supported in Resolve, but I seem to remember reading somewhere that they are working on it.
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

That is primarily what I'm teaching myself...Resolve. I'm faster at it than Premiere only after a few initial hours. I've been using Premiere for over 15 years and found the transition very easy and welcoming. Still...getting used to where things are at, took most of the time but my advice to anyone reading this...the idea of nodes instead of layers is something that should not be resisted or feared but embraced.

Here's looking to the future.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”