Propellerhead PolyStep Secuencer for Reason

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Are you serious now guys? This thread is about Propellerhead PolyStep Sequencer, it's NOT about Cubase or RapidComposer, and not about Reason itself, and how "bad" it is, it's about PolyStep.
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 11:50 am Are you serious now guys? This thread is about Propellerhead PolyStep Sequencer, it's NOT about Cubase or RapidComposer, and not about Reason itself, and how "bad" it is, it's about PolyStep.
But PolyStep represents all that is bad about Reason! :x :wink: :lol: :hihi:
Music tech enthusiast
DAW, VST & hardware hoarder
My "music": https://soundcloud.com/antic604

Yes. Shame on their closed ecosystem... freedom and VST's for everyone. :P

But, seriously, dunno how we came to stuff like Rapid Composer.

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 1:08 pmBut, seriously, dunno how we came to stuff like Rapid Composer.
Because it kinda, sorta does what PolyStep does.
Music tech enthusiast

Ok. But, PolyStep is so much sexier. :D

chk071 wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 2:40 pm Ok. But, PolyStep is so much sexier. :D
And it´s much easier to use...
That´s the beauty of Props players... they take actually in account who shall use these kinds of stuff at the end of the day...

God... if I look at rapid composer I only get the feeling to run away... I don´t know if it would be possible to create such a programm more uninspiring... and it would be nice not to have to study rocket science first...

And that´s the problem in VST world...
It´s really nice to see there are still many nerds being able to get their head around stuff like that... but that´s perhaps 1 of a 1.000 muscians if not even of a 10.000...

In VST world there is simply nothing useable which can compete with the ease of use of Reason´s Players...
It seems to me that devs of such devices simply take feature overkill over any usability any time...

Are there more powerful devices out there than Reason´s Players...?
Yes a ton if not any of them...

Is there a single VSTi of them which can come even close to the Players usability...?
Not a single of them can reach even 1% of usability... in this regard they all fail completely...

So who did it´s job better... the allmighty VST world with millions of features nobody can ever use, ugly as hell and overcomplicated or the Props with concentrating on some core features but with ease of use, with bringing something which can inspire and easy to look at...

I really don´t get it how devs of composing helpers can even imagine, that it would be acceptable or a fun to use for a musician to dive through 10 millions submenus and popups while being creative...

The award goes once again to the Props ... and all hundreds of VST developers failed again like always in this category: usability for the mass not only for some nerds...

RapidComposer does a lot more than PolyStep tbh, but it doesn't work as an RE, and as a VST it's worthless together with Reason as well. You can route it via MIDI in to Reason though, but that you can do with Orb Composer and Synfire as well, so why don't we bring them up as well? :)
i9-10900K | 128GB DDR4 | RTX 3090 | Arturia AudioFuse/KeyLab mkII/SparkLE | PreSonus ATOM/ATOM SQ | Studio One | Reason | Bitwig Studio | Reaper | Renoise | FL Studio | ~900 VSTs | 300+ REs

Trancit wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:19 pmThe award goes once again to the Props ... and all hundreds of VST developers failed again like always in this category: usability for the mass not only for some nerds...
It's not the VST developers' fault that VSTs are not as integrated with the host as the RE players are with Reason. It's Steinberg's fault ;)

While I agree that Props make awesome, useable devices that spark creativity rather than stifle it, this RE being no exception. (the reason I use Reason, mostly) It is a VAST overstatement to say that the VST world has failed, lol. Give me cubase's chord track/pads in reason any freaking day over PSS. Theres something very positive to be said about Prop's approach, there's also something to be said for geeky devs.

There's also a ton of other MIDI vst's that need to be able to be used in Reason. Reason's lack of traditional MIDI routing needs to be sorted first, obviously, but it needs to happen at some point. (also because we need multi timbral instrument support)

starflakeprj wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:31 pm It's not the VST developers' fault that VSTs are not as integrated with the host as the RE players are with Reason. It's Steinberg's fault ;)
ShawnG wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 3:50 pm While I agree that Props make awesome, useable devices that spark creativity rather than stifle it, this RE being no exception. (the reason I use Reason, mostly) It is a VAST overstatement to say that the VST world has failed, lol. Give me cubase's chord track/pads in reason any freaking day over PSS. Theres something very positive to be said about Prop's approach, there's also something to be said for geeky devs.

There's also a ton of other MIDI vst's that need to be able to be used in Reason. Reason's lack of traditional MIDI routing needs to be sorted first, obviously, but it needs to happen at some point. (also because we need multi timbral instrument support)
You 2 missunderstood me...

1. It´s not about integration into any DAW... it´s about the right amount of featureset and easy usability... tbh I like the way in VST world better to dragndrop a midi file into the DAW...
2. Cubase´s Chord track/Pads is 1st no VST but a part of Cubase and 2nd does only a little part of Reason´s players respectively something like Rapid Composer ... so my statement is still true for me...
3. The point of internal midi routing and Midi VST is again a different story...

The only thing which comes perhaps a bit more close to Reason´s Players are Captain Chords... but the need to be online for being able to use disqualifies them direct from the start... wrong decision for copy protection devs!!!

I just tried to take the humoristic path pointing out that Propellerhead is doing a great job with the SDK letting developers integrate as much as they can with Reason, while Steinberg is not.

Trancit wrote: Fri Jun 07, 2019 5:01 pm ....2nd does only a little part of Reason´s players respectively something like Rapid Composer ... so my statement is still true for me...
sure, chord track doesn't do some things that the players do, however, the reverse is also true.

There's an interesting debate on RT about whether the players are doing things that might better be done with a revamp of the sequencer instead, of which I see both sides. The players are definitely better to "play" with, which is their main point. as always this is yet another device, which at first glance looks limiting, but is deep when you explore it, it's why I like the the Props approach. still would be nice to have some new "work" features for when I already know what song I'm laying down, and just need to get it in the sequencer faster.

For the same price as Polystep, Sequences I think offers a bit more flexibility (except for the chord transposing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... HTA11NTMXc
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Saukar30 wrote: Wed Jun 19, 2019 4:27 am For the same price as Polystep, Sequences I think offers a bit more flexibility (except for the chord transposing)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_cont ... HTA11NTMXc
Precisely the opposite is true - there's nothing Sequences can do that PSS can't, but the other way around there's lots of PSS features you can't replicate in Sequencer (base note for transposing, dragging note to create chords / arps / strums, conditional triggers, 2x CV, 64 step patterns, randomisation / alteration of notes & their parameters).
Music tech enthusiast

Sequences seems pretty cool. It's a little like an extra uber midi fun thing. I can't afford even 69 bucks right now but I might demo it anyways.

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”