A Few Cubase Pro 10 Questions

Audio Plugin Hosts and other audio software applications discussion
RELATED
PRODUCTS

FYI, Orion's exported MIDI tracks will insert program changes at the start of patterns. This might cause your MIDI patterns in Cubase to revert back to the default preset when it plays the start of a pattern.

You'll need to open the List Editor and delete off the program changes at the start of the pattern to mitigate this.

It only seems to do it on the first bar of the track. Every track has a one bar clip at the start, which I just delete. The way it clumps everything into clips is really handy, too.
jancivil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 2:59 ammore MIDI channels than 16 which is a severe limitation which always baffled me as to why it even exists.
Because MIDI is an 8 bit serial protocol that was created in the 1970s, where no-one would have envisaged needing even half that number of channels because you had to physically link each instrument with a cable and that added latency that quickly became unmanageable in a daisy-chain. What I don't understand is why MIDI hasn't been superseded by something better.

So far what I am doing seems refreshingly straightforward and it's unlikely I'll need to complicate it too much in the future. That said, if you hadn't mentioned it I wouldn't have realised there were both instrument and MIDI tracks. I'd have assumed that it was all one thing, which would probably have tripped me up when I wanted to start controlling my hardware instruments.

Mostly I am enjoying it a lot more than I thought I would. At the moment my biggest gripe is the track inspector paradigm, which prevents you from getting that really good overview of a song that Orion's Mixer gives you. I also need to get used to the idea that closing an instrument window doesn't delete the instrument from the project (weird). BTW, I found a simple way to transpose things in Cubase. I think it's the one you told me about, I just happened to see it before I went to re-read your post.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I think Gigasampler was the first to make multiple MIDI ports available, early 2000s. I actually saw that before I saw Kontakt, which does 4 ports in the standalone but not as a plugin. VE Pro may be the first plugin to do it, although there was a Gigastudio plugin before they went under.

You can also create a command for any transposition; the transpose palette is limited to semitone and octave. MIDI: Logical Editor standard set 2 has presets for +12 & -12 which may be edited and saved as presets, then in Key Commands this is assignable under Process Logical Preset.

jancivil wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm I think Gigasampler was the first to make multiple MIDI ports available, early 2000s.
Actually multiple midi ports where available long before that. Early 90's I ran an Atari Mega with Cubase (then purely a sequencer) with a Cubase MIDEX. The Atari had its own midi port but the MIDEX added 4 additional ports (besides SMPTE sync to tape), This gave ma a total of 80 midi channels from Cubase. I had two Roland A880 midi patchbays to rout all that out to hardware.

SMPTE-synced to a tascam 8 track porta this gave me quite some recording power. Those where the days :D

And believe it or not, all that stuff is still lying around in my studio :o
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Wow, very cool. I was MIA during that time...

crimsonwarlock wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 5:59 pmAnd believe it or not, all that stuff is still lying around in my studio :o
The oldest bit of kit I still have is the MIDIman (now M-Audio) MIDIsport1x1 USB MIDI interface I bought in 2000 or so. M-Audio still update the drivers and it still works just as it did when I bought it. Oh, I also have some ancient cables that came with some of my Roland gear and they all still work and I actually use them every day. I have a grey and a green jack to jack cable that I think came with my TB303s, or maybe my TR606, so those cables are probably 39 years old and still going! I also have two of the longer, black cables that have jack at one end and RCA with a jack adapter at the other. I think they came with my TR707, or maybe my SH101, which would make them almost as old, but they still work, too. I've spent so much many on cables over the decades but those freebies are the only ones that are still going.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 12:17 am M-Audio still update the drivers
You in luck then. I have a Fast Track Ultra 8R and there is NO windows 10 driver available and never will. It's basically an expensive doorstop. Something to do with Avid so go figure :roll:

Maybe someday I'll see if I can get it functional for a Linux rig :hihi:
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Windows 7 drivers should work in Win10. I've never actively updated any drivers since Win7 and all my stuff works.

BONES wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 am Windows 7 drivers should work in Win10.
That is not always the case. Some drivers need updating for Windows 10 compatibility, others are specific to Windows 10.

BONES wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 am I've never actively updated any drivers since Win7 and all my stuff works.
It may well be that Windows Update carried out all necessary driver updates automatically for you.

Highly unlikely they keep Elektron or Novation or even M-Audio drivers on their servers and when I buy new devices, the vast majority of drivers I download and install are a single driver for Win7/8/10. Sure, it's possible they install specific drivers for each version but, again, that seems unlikely.

Having been an Insider since pre-Win8, I know how hard Microsoft works to ensure driver compatibility between versions. They learned their lesson big-time with Vista, they aren't going to make that mistake again.

BONES wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 5:02 am Windows 7 drivers should work in Win10.
Not always, especially when Avid is involved :roll:

The official driver page shows this info for the latest (and final) driver:
AVID wrote: Note that Windows 10 (or later) is not compatible and will not be qualified
So that basically say: too bad you trusted us and bought a product from us but we can't be bothered with supporting our customers :x

What product is that for? That's completely ridiculous.

BONES wrote: Wed May 22, 2019 6:52 am What product is that for? That's completely ridiculous.
Yep, that's AVID for you :(

http://avid.force.com/pkb/articles/en_U ... 8R-Drivers

In the meantime we now know that certain older drivers do work somewhat on win10, but that still doesn't negate the fact that they don't release a valid win10 driver.

BONES wrote: Tue May 21, 2019 12:32 am Yeah, I think so. The EQ is in a strange place (not in the mixer so you can only see one track's EQ at a time) but it has four bands and lots of flexibility. With a bit of effort I'm sure it will do the job just as well.
What do you mean? The mixer can be configured to shoe the eq for ever channel, either as a curve or with parameters. Just expand the eq section and make sure the track type you’re looking for is configured to be visible.

Sounds good, I'll have to go and look for it. Although then the issue will be that the mixer will probably end up taking up the whole screen. So many compromises to be made!

Return to “Hosts & Applications (Sequencers, DAWs, Audio Editors, etc.)”